Pop Up Ad Issue on this site

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by pkdawg, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Site is unusable. Galaxy Note (Android). Open a thread, scroll through it, I get these pop overs. ... it took several tries to get back to this thread to be able to post this.

Mobile browsing on MLP is out, for me. The developers must be seeing this, right? It's not sporadic, it's every page.

Screenshot_2018-01-09-15-49-08.jpg Screenshot_2018-01-09-15-46-29.jpg

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I took my iPad to the Caribbean last week. Same thing over the ship's WiFi. So it is not coming from my ISP as I first suspected. And there, as home in CO, the problem wasn't on any other site I looked at. I hope MLP staff is able to track down who is doing it, sue the sh*t out of them and file criminal charges.

wildhawk1 likes this.
  3. Who

I found, on my phone, when I click the options to "request full site", the problem went away.

On my iPad (which is what I use most when browsing here), I never have the problem. But, I will admit to running an ad blocker on the iPad, otherwise I wouldn't be able to visit this site at all. Sorry, legit ads.... I'd look at you, but your bad-apple friends are spoiling it for the whole bunch.

Malikon likes this.
  4. Dolebludger

Who, I know I'm weird, but I actually like some of the legit ads that are guitar related. It is a shame that some hacker is spoiling it for me.

Malikon likes this.
  5. Who

I like the legit ones, too. I have no problem being exposed to products of services that align with my hobbies.

I've shopped at several sponsors of this site.

Malikon likes this.
  6. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Yeah, same here regarding the desktop version on my phone. Goes away completely. Less appealing interface though.

Which ad blocker on ipad? I'd love to be able to visit this site, but it's impossible otherwise. I'm fine with ads, but this is something different altogether. And those that run the site obviously don't give a crap.

7. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon

8. Who

Avast on my iPad? I don't think so. This is a mobile- only problem.

9. Dolebludger

Who,

What do you mean by "Avast"?

10. Who

The post above mine, Mark recommended using Avast. Avast is an anti-malware vendor, like Symantec, Kaspersky, Webroot, Trend, McAfee.....

[​IMG]

Dolebludger likes this.
  11. Dolebludger

Who,

Do you mean that Avast doesn't work on iPads, or do you mean you aren't having this problem on your iPad? Because, in the latter event, I am having this problem only on my iPad. I don't have a cell phone, so don't know it I would have this problem on one or not.

12. RyanC

RyanC Premium Member

Any updates? It’s really ridiculous... I’m avoiding the site more and more...

Dolebludger likes this.
  13. Dolebludger

14. Dolebludger

Guys, I don't really want to block MLP paid ads, because often I learn something from them. And sometimes I buy something. But I know you are not getting paid for these stupid adds that seize the screen. But if you don't correct this matter in the next two weeks, I am going to our our local Mac retailer and getting the strongest ad blocker put on my iPad. I don't want to do this, as I might miss an ad for something I want. But I will have to do so to access this forum.

15. Dolebludger

That is interesting, but still a bunch of cyber talk to us "tube amp" guys. What do I get on my iPad to stop this stuff?

16. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

This,

Dolebludger likes this.
  17. Dolebludger

Cool, will do.

18. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

You will likely have to do some tweaking of the settings/parameters yourself to configure it(To get it where/what you want it to block ) even after the application is installed for you.

Dolebludger likes this.
  19. Dolebludger

Thanks, chasen, but I am an old man, from the pre-digital age. I just don't understand this sh*t, and really don't want to learn it. Before I retired, I had an IT staff that worked for me that took care of these matters for me. And please excuse me for for thinking (as a dues paying premium member of this site) that I should be only subject to the paid ads on MLP (which I rather like) without having to go back to school (after 10 years of post high school study) to rid myself of hacked in ads. That should be MLP's responsibility. Sorry for sounding so snotty, but after learning the practice of law, business, and horticulture, and guitar, I just don't think I should have to school myself any further.

Who likes this.