Pop Up Ad Issue on this site

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by pkdawg, Dec 22, 2017.

1. pkdawg

pkdawg Member

Is anyone else getting bombarded with fake Amazon and Facebook ads when in this forum? It happens to me in some other sites to, but more here. Is there anything the admins can do to help prevent this? It looks to be a popular unsolved issue in the web.

I’ve tried all the usual things like deleting history, cache, upgrade, reboot etc. Nothing works.

rclausen likes this.
  2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yup, I get the free wal-mart card pop up only on this site, no where else. But I can dodge for few hours then there it is again.:facepalm:

3. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

Is this on mobile or a desktop or lapper? If you're using a desktop or laptop, I'd suggest a non-Microsoft browser with an adblocker like uBlock Origin. I don't spend a lot of time here on my phone, so I haven't had issues there.

4. mudface

mudface Senior Member

For me it's just on my phone not on my desk top. I think it's related to the phone service which is Verizon on mine.

5. pkdawg

pkdawg Member

It happens on my iPhone. It seems better so far with JavaScript turned off in Safari, but I’d rather not have to be going back and forth. It happens in Chrome too. Sweetwater runs JavaScript so I’d like to keep it on. :).

6. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I get all sorts of ads here on my desk top.
    I think someone is making money off this forum......

7. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

I've been getting pop-ups all with the same format, under names like Facebook, Walmart and a few others I don't recall because I no longer read them.

They generally start with "Congratulations !!! iPhone user you have won a ----- gift card" or whatever....

They take over this site on my iPhone. Sometimes 4 or 5 times a day and sometimes not for weeks. They are not easy to get rid of either.

So far, they only happen here on MLP and only on my iPhone.

northernguitarguy and mudface like this.
  8. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

9. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

These are not regular ads. They are aggressive "pop-ups". I'm guessing that they don't happen to everyone or a great number for that matter. They only happen on my phone and only when I'm on MLP.

10. NorlinBlackBeauty

Ah, I'm on a PC with certain ad countermeasures activated. ;)

Graham H likes this.
  11. mudface

mudface Senior Member

This is exactly what I get, and the same thing only on my iPhone and only on this site. Whatever you do don't answer the questions they poll you with. A friend of mine was bombarded with phone calls from telemarketers for weeks and had to block the calls number by number. Most of the numbers had local area codes and differ by one digit.:hmm:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  12. joseph07081

joseph07081 Member

I have only been getting these pop up ads on my iPhone, and to a far lesser extent, on my iPad. I do not get any ads on any of the desktop browsers that I use.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  13. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Yeah, me too..only on my phone! I can't even go on this site on my phone anymore. Every time I do I win a phone or a trip or something, and then I can't get rid of it without closing the whole site!!

btw...my service is AT&T.

14. Shoopdude

Shoopdude Senior Member

AT&T has some deal with a computer service, I had my laptop a couple of years did that then all of a sudden thousands of pop ups I couldn't stop. Cost a bit to get it cleared up........You would get a pop up telling you an AT&T approved service could help then you get connected to someone in India to fix your problem.......then they harass you every few months that you have an infection they need to fix immediately or all of your personal data will be compromised.......AT&T was our internet provider at the time....

15. NorlinBlackBeauty

This is why I only browse the web on a phone when there is no other alternative.

Had a look at this site on a phone and was not pleased. I also cannot type on a phone very well.

16. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Strange that my phone is only affected by this site, it may not be the service itself but a viral attached thru this site.

17. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

I finally just up and bought the Kaspersky Total Security program ....... bye bye Pop-Ups

18. NorlinBlackBeauty

Um ... have you read about Kaspersky and their probable ties to the Russian government?

It is top notch software, but I'd not risk it.

MooCheng likes this.
  19. gnappi

gnappi Senior Member

Mobile or PC? Popups seem unavoidable on mobile devices, there's too many hooks for ads in mobile browsers. Therefore I never use my tablet or phone to surf.

NorlinBlackBeauty likes this.
  20. pkdawg

pkdawg Member

I’ll mention again. If you turn off JavaScript on your iPhone in your Safari settings it will stop the ads, but it’s not ideal by any means. Maybe the Admins on the site can check with their host? Since it happens in other music forums I have a feeling they are connected somehow to the Forum software. Just a layman’s hunch.