Poll: What do you want for the next group buy?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Beerdog80, Jan 15, 2013.

Which pedal would you like to see as a group buy?

1. Another boost?

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. Klon Clone

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. TS/Overdrive Clone

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Delay/Compression

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. Full on Dirt pedal

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Alright, I'm closer to coming home and V!N and I are warming up to the idea of another group buy. This would likely take place in late spring as I'll be on the road for a bit during April but otherwise, I don't really have any plans to go anywhere for an extended period. I also FINALLY have two new folks working for me so my work load is far less than it was before. :dude:

THIS IS NOT IN STONE YET!! This is more of gauging what you guys would like for the next buy. Take the poll above and if there is something specific, say so! :thumb:

Details will be similar to the MLP thread on top. Custom paint and graphic options, yes we will ship anywhere in the world and we need a minimum of 15 to buy in to make this a cost effective effort for all involved. The more we get, the cheaper the overall price will be. The only adjustment will be those of you in overseas markets will be required to pay for shipping insurance. Last go 'round three pedals got lost in the mail and I paid out of my own pocket to replace them.

Thanks!

Josh

2. will c

will c Senior Member

A dumbed down version of the Bogner Ecstacy Red w/o boost and extra switching options...basically a full on dirt pedal that responds like an amp...

Is it possible for a group buy-and-build?

3. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

MAYBE. Depends on how many folks jump in on that idea. If we can get enough, it may be possible. Otherwise, something like that would have to either be drawn up from scratch as a one off.

But for other full on dirt pedals (I've never even seen a schematic for a Ecstasy), hell yes that is entirely possible. Plenty of ideas already out there. I'd like to keep things simple, as in not a ton of switching options.

1 person likes this.
  4. arthurkandziora

arthurkandziora Senior Member

How about a Carl martin pedal? Your choice. They make quality pedals like the plexitone.

5. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

I like the idea of a tight, moderately high gain dirt pedal.

1 person likes this.
  6. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

My understanding is that the Plexitone is based off the Crunchbox.

Which in that case, I made this for myself a few years back.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. arthurkandziora

arthurkandziora Senior Member

How does it sound? Any clips? Looks cool.

8. Tevilspek

Tevilspek Senior Member

I've been thinking I could use a Boost + EQ pedal for the front end of my board..! So I'll tick 'Boost'.

9. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Unfortunately not. I had a trove of clips but of course, the ONE time you don't back up your hard drive is when it decides to eat itself...

And I no longer have the means to record demos. If folks wanted it, I would have to build a demo pedal and mail it off to someone who could do it for me. All I have to record now is my DSLR but I don't have an external mike.

I was working on another similar to that but with two circuits in it. A boost and then a fuzz. Never got it finished up though. Enclosure is done as is the circuit, just never housed it. I'll post a few picture of that one later.

10. yawny

yawny Senior Member

I missed the last round of the group buy project, but I'm excited for this one.

It doesn't matter to me what the final decision is since mostly I just love building pedals, but I have 2 pieces of input.

First I think a delay, possibly in the DMM style, would be awesome. Unfortunately I know how complex that circuit is, so it wouldn't exactly be at everyone who wants to join in's skill level.

More practically I suggest a variant of the Colorsound Overdriver. I love that circuit and the fact that you can dial it in from OD to a moderate fuzz almost just makes it cooler. Black Art's Black Forest OD is a cool variant.

11. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Yeah, delays and similar pedals are rather high build. I'm cool with building the entire thing and then shipping a final product thats ready to go but I'm also cool with shipping the kits to those who want to build it themselves.

The Colordriver is a great and often over looked pedal. Great idea! :dude:

12. yawny

yawny Senior Member

I for one would love building an 80's DMM clone especially if I didn't have to source all parts :laugh2: Mad Bean makes a DMM board but the component count is super high and it already takes a few hours to source for less complex pedals. I love me some DMM though.

The Colordriver is definitely overlooked, and surprisingly since it can be used as a boost, OD or even a fuzz when you crank it. Black Arts added two knobs to it, one is a six way tone shaping knob and the other escapes me, but the demos of that thing are pretty impressive and the sheer amount of tones you can coax from it is pretty cool. Definitely worth considering.

13. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

:dude::dude:

1 person likes this.
  14. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

If a Klone, I suggest adding some protection for the charge pump up to 18V or so. I've already heard of someone frying their KTR by accidentally using the wrong power tap.

15. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

How about a less noisier "Jeckyll and Hyde" version 1 .....

16. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

If someone came up with the "Randy Rhoads" multi-pedal board I guarantee they would sell 15 of them....

17. Sky

Sky Senior Member

A Klon type pedal would be pretty cool, as long as it's in Gold. :cool:

18. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

You mean like this? (from the MLP builds) :dude::dude:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one of mine...this oddball is a House of Kolor Kandy gold sprayed right over the bare aluminum. Kandy Kolors are meant to be top sprayed and not bases but I figured, "lets see where this goes". :)

[​IMG]

And another HOK gold over white I made for another forum member as a replacement box for his vintage box.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

And this one is Pagan Gold. Crazy looking color.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Ok...last one. :) Yes, I love gold. Is it obvious yet?

[​IMG]