Polishing Up a VOS Finish

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Guitar Rod, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I just can see myself sanding a reissue nitro neck like that, even slightly. Thick poly yes, but that nitro seems so thin and fragile.

2. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Its realy just a rub ....and all wiil be right with the world

Guitar Rod likes this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I have no experience with VOS so this thread is interesting. It seems like Gibson is leaving the guitars less than utterly max-out in finishing and buffing, and then adding the guitar equivalent of a spray-on tan. I've always disliked any softish, superficial gunk. If so, that does present the opportunity of hand-rubbing the finish into a luster, rather than having a factory-buffed, glinty finish. I much prefer the look of a hand-rubbed finish, and agree with the descriptions above that say that super-bright highlights actually make it harder to see and enjoy the somewhat eanslucent effects of grain and flame and color. It's nice to hear how many players are finding it possible to save some $$$ and also develop the effect that pleases them most.

Sct13 and Guitar Rod like this.
  4. Adambomb

Adambomb Senior Member

+3 for the Virtuoso 2-step Cleaner then Polish. The 1st step cleaner is the best thing to get any sticky VOS off the neck, really make the neck smooth and playable. It may take a second cleaning or even third if the nitro finish is softer like factory fresh, but it works the best. The 2nd step is polish and is great to really make the woodgrain and a flame top pop out more, but if your just wanting to make the VOS smoother and harder, then the one bottle of Virtuoso Cleaner is really all you need IMO.

5. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Exactly...The Gloss models are too beautiful to play out....they damage too easy....the VOS can take a bit of punishment and still look good. But then again I 'm too worried about the minutia