Polishing Up a VOS Finish

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Guitar Rod, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

The back of my R9's neck can get gritty/sticky a bit and I heard that polishing it will get rid of that. I had cleaned it and used some polish, but it always came back and still had that soft, waxy feel to it. Well I got me some Gibson Luthier's Choice Hi-Gloss Polish in a bundle on sale, so I thought I'd give'r a shot. WOW! It removed all the "gunk" and brought it to a nice, smooth, hard shine. Two weeks on and no grit or stickiness. But if it ever does, it's getting another buff with the stuff.

Also, the VOS top was quite dull and had a waxy buildup feel to it. Grippy. I didn't want a high-gloss finish, so I took a chance and gave it and the back a light polishing with it. It ended up a dull glossy, if that makes sense. Looks beautiful. Shiny, but not too shiny. Now the flame pops more and the carve really stands out in the light. Never really even noticed it before. It's now near perfect. Smooth to the touch with no waxiness, and yet still "dull" enough that it looks VOS old and used. It ain't getting polished any further. I think from the smell the polish has some type of cleaner in it as well. Has a little mineral spirits kinda whiff to it. Works a treat.

Who here has polished up their VOS finish? Did you polish it up slightly, or go full tilt to a gloss shine? What do you use to keep the VOS finish, or to get rid of it if that's the case?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I just took a bit of that Gibson Polish to them....(the neck) ....Buff that out then take mirco mesh and cut back the gloss so the neck feels smoother, Then I just wipe down the VOS to brighten them up slightly

Guitar Rod likes this.
  3. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

I don’t buy a VOS:naughty:

Guitar Rod likes this.
  4. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I've always bought VOS reissues because they ended up being the guitars I liked the feel/look of best, and they are cheaper. Then I use Virtuoso's 2 step to clean and polish the gunk off. Why pay more for a gloss finish if you find a guitar you like in VOS and can spend 10 minutes making it gloss? Win/win to me.

I had some photos up here of before/afters of a few of them but I think they may have been photofucket images before I had my own gallery.

5. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

My r8 is was vos. It was the guitar I choose out of them all in the shop. Didn't even think if vos lol.
    But I clean and polish my guitar like I do my others with no issues and the finish looks fantastic to me. I don't know if the vos has come off or not but it's made no difference.

derek1977, cooljuk and Guitar Rod like this.
  6. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I used Turtle Wax Express Shine, spayed some on a rag and wiped down the neck and body. The stickiness is gone. It also removed some of the dullness, not too glossy, still looks like an older guitar.

Guitar Rod and thinkgreen like this.
  7. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Adambomb and Guitar Rod like this.
  8. Callaway

Callaway Senior Member

My VOS didn't spend one night at the house before being getting the Virtuoso treatment stem to stern. It always kind of hit me as "spray on mojo" they get that by being normally played not by eliminating a polishing stage at the factory and paste on goop..

Adambomb and Guitar Rod like this.
  9. joff

joff Senior Member

I have just used the Gibson Pump Polish...i have cleaned down a few of my VOS LPs past and present, especially if they were on display in a store or were 2nd hand...and they have come up shiny enough for me. :)

derek1977 and Sct13 like this.
  10. Low Gain

Low Gain Senior Member

IMHO Gibson Luthier's Choice Hi-Gloss Polish is by far the best polish/cleaner you can use on a nitro finish. I've compared it to Gibson Pump Polish and they are similar but not the same.

BTW the best string cleaner I've found it is also from Gibson and comes in the same presentation that Gibson Luthier's Choice Hi-Gloss Polish.

[​IMG]

Perfect combo.

11. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Totally agree. Very impressed with the polish. After all this discussion, I'm tempted to buff it to a high polish at the next string change.

12. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Sorry but why buying a VOS if you are gong to buff it out to gloss? I mean, the hardware is also "aged", sometimes with rust and gunk...and with brushed nickel. I think a mix of a hi-gloss finish with a VOS hardware it's going to look odd, at best.

derek1977 likes this.
  13. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

IMO, a shiny finish and aged hardware is the most vintage-looking combination. You can polish the finish on a vintage Les Paul, but the hardware doesn't polish up as easily.

dleake and Kris Ford like this.
  14. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

The only actually aged hardware in any of mine was the pickup covers and those got yanked anyway.

All the other hardware just had the buffing compound on it and polished up. Saved quite a bit of money by buying VOS and got the guitars the looked and felt and sounded the way I like.

15. Lebond

Lebond Member

I polished the VOS gunk from my 2014 R9 to a shiny finish and cleaned up the hardware. The result is awesome, with just the right amount of very light aged look to it without being too shiny.

16. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Yup.
    Even with the original 50's models, there is still high gloss..a concept replicers cannot seem to grasp.

RAG7890 and Guitar Rod like this.
  17. joeh77

joeh77 Junior Member

I just purchased a 2016 Standard R9 VOS last week. I'm contemplating polishing up the neck, as it feels sticky to me. But I don't think I'm going to try and polish the VOS off of the rest of the guitar. I think it's just the right amount of glossy!

[​IMG]2016 Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Historic by hajducky, on Flickr

Joe

Gary Ross and PierM like this.
  18. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

My issue is my R9 neck sticks to me no matter what the weather. Shouldn't I use a 600grit or finer sandpaper rather than a shine polish? This has worked for me on polyurethane finish guitars but never tried it on a nitro reissue. Any thoughts? Not exactly an affordable guitar to experiment with :)

19. Sct13

Look up "micro mesh"

Without it infront of me, you'll need 8000 to start polishing I think it goes to 12000

20. Sct13

I just went and looked at the micro mesh

The 1800 or 2400 for the neck, that will make it nice and slinky