POD X3 Live

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by River, Sep 30, 2008.

1. bigrob340

bigrob340 Junior Member

:thumb: I run the same set up at my church and my favorite patch is 'Sunny Rainy Day'. I've tweaked the patch also and added a dotted 8th delay and took off the autoswell type effect. Its perfect for a church setting!

2. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Good news about the "coming soon" update. I've had my POD for about a week now, though I haven't had the time or space to really do much with it. :( Just from playing around with it and learning the basics, I am very happy with the purchase though. :dude:

3. b-squared

b-squared Banned

That's a good idea...I may keep the autoswell patch on #1, and put the second patch with a setup similar to yours.

Thanks for the idea!

BB

4. Jason

Jason Senior Member

One question for anyone who uses a microphone with this thing... I notice only the XLR input has a trim knob. Is that preamp worth it? I've only got a TRS cable for my microphone right now, just wondering if it would sound much better through the XLR (as in, would it be worth it to buy the XLR cable?) It's just a cheapie Behringer mic, nothing special...

5. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

The book on the trim for the mic input is that...well...it sucks. Apparently it's all or nothing. It's one of the bigger complaints among guys on the line6 board.

Oh, that and the fact that there is no phantom power from the X3 itself. I use a cheap Samson Q6 with the XLR input...works well enough for me.

6. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Interesting, though not surprising. :D You can definitely see compromises in the unit, where they tried to balance the number of features with the quality of those features.

I guess I'll go ahead and spring the $12 for a decent XLR cable. "All or nothing" might be better than just "nothing". Plus, that way I won't have to be constantly swapping the mic out for the bass.

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

7. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Excellent.

Pitty you've got no idea about tone Jas, or so I remember someone posting anyway :laugh2: :thumb:

8. stondoubt

stondoubt Senior Member

I just traded my XT Live straight up for a MIM strat (I have posted pics in another thread). I probably played 300+ gigs with it and never had a complaint. I also had a ton of guitar players comment on my tone and asking me how I got it... tone purists be damned. :) I was using a Metaltronix M-1000 100W Head but I sold it awhile ago for an offer I couldn't refuse and about 6 weeks ago I saw this Flextone II XL Combo with Floorboard for $150 at my local GC... $150.

9. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

My favorite patches are the JTM45 and Matchless DC-30. I've done entire blues gigs on the Matchless patch, it cleans up really well with the volume knob. The JTM45 is uncanny, especially how it cleans up as well (and I own a vintage Plexi). The clean JCM800 patch is very useable as well, it really cuts through the mix. The Deluxe patch is nice, too.

The DC-30 is a phenomenal amp, almost unrivaled and I just got a "X3 Bean" yesterday,looks like the possibilities are almost infinite.
    Spent a couple of hours with it yesterday, and it's better than I expected.
    I hope I take a liking to it.

10. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

Heads up...the v2.0 firmware is out and available for download. There's also a gearbox update that makes it compatible with v2.0. Haven't played with it at all yet.

11. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Woohoo! I have to admit, I haven't done much with my X3 yet aside from using it as a glorified tone toy. :laugh2: I've definitely gotten some amazing (and some weird) sounds out of it. I haven't even bothered to try any of the presets, I've just been diving right in and making sounds from scratch.

I'll have to check out the new stuff and be even more overwhelmed with the choices.

12. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Senior Member

I haven't downloaded the update yet - I have a couple of gigs and didn't want risk bricking it, even though it appears the update is going smoothly for everyone.

BTW, I did a gig last weekend with the X3L - a large room (500+) with pro sound, went direct into PA and got great FOH sound. It's so nice walking up and just plugging in. Played my 2001 Gary Moore LP newly-refitted with DiMarzio 36th PAF's, loving them so far. I mainly use two presets I created, one is the Matchless mentioned above, but for this gig I also used the Silver Jubilee model, nails that classic rock sound.

13. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up!:):applause:

14. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

Here's the release notes:

POD X3 Live Flash Memory v2.0 RELEASE NOTES:
    [If you are a POD X3 Live owner, please download and install the latest version of Line 6 Monkey software and use it to update your POD X3 Live to this latest version of Flash Memory. For best results, calibrate pedal after update]

POD X3 Live v2.0 is a FREE update to all POD X3 Live customers. It includes 12 additional FX inspired by the sounds of sought-after stompboxes and rack gear!

What does it include?

* Vocoder: Our 14 band Vocoder is based on the classic rack units employed by recording studios and modular synths since the early '70s. Use the decay knob to slow down the Vocoder’s responsiveness to create some haunting drones.
    * Dynamic Delay: Made popular by the T.C. Electronic® 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay. While you play, the Dynamic Delay keeps the volume of the echoes turned down, so that the echoes don’t overwhelm what you’re doing.
    * Dimension: Based on* the Roland® Dimension D. One of the first true stereo chorus units. Relatively subtle in its nature, it became an industry standard for double-track effects.
    * Pitch Vibrato: Based on* the Boss® VB-2. It contained a circuit that produced bubbly vibrato, but was popular for its “rise time” control that when engaged, sped up to where you last set it.
    * Voice Box: Inspired by* Vocoders, Vocal Tracts & Surgical Tubing. This model gives your guitar a sound that’s typical of a classic “talk box.”
    * V-Tron: Voice Box meets Mu-Tron® III. In this model your guitar again “speaks” with an almost human voice, but now it does so in response to your playing.
    * Octisynth: Inspired by eight armed denizens of the deep. Everyone knows that all you need is a bottleneck and a reverb tank to get whale sounds, but how about our friend the Octopus?
    * Q Filter: Your very own parked wah! You’ve heard it before from Mark Knopfler and from Brian May of Queen—it’s a wah “parked” in one position.
    * Pattern Tremolo: Inspired by* Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper. This effect is what you’d get if you could hook up a vintage keyboard sequencer to a tremolo.
    * Frequency Shifter: A ring modulator gives you both up and down shifted frequencies. Here you can select just the up or down shifted frequencies.
    * Barberpole Phaser: A classic effect from the world of modular synths. This phaser either sounds like it’s always going up or always down depending on how you set it. Set to stereo you get both!
    * Script Phaser: Based on* MXR® Phase 90. Just like the original our model only features a Speed control

I've only played with the dynamic delay, and I'll say it works pretty nicely!

15. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

The LE is impressive, the sound is smoother than the X3POD,
    (probably because it has a tube in it)
    The POD is incredibly deep as far as adjustments go.

It's nice to have some variety when you're practicing.

16. thefurb716

thefurb716 Junior Member

Ive had the X3 Live for 8 months now. I absolutely love it. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but I had no problems diggin right in to this thing. Ive found that a lot of the amp models dont sound their best alone, but you need to add a Screamer model or Tube Overdrive model to it and it sounds great. For instance, the Treadplate Dual sounds crappy to me by itself. Add the Screamer to it and then EQ it and its killer. Anyways, I love the Plexi Variac, Plexi 45, Lead 100, and JCM 900 clean tones most I think. I too am a fan of Lincoln Brewster. Once I discovered him, and realized he uses the X3 Live exclusively, I was sold. And yes, his tone is taylored for HIS Strat, so if you download it, you must tweak it to your own guitar. My Les Paul produces a much fatter tone than my Strat so the EQ are totally different for the same model. Anyways, Ive messed with this thing a lot so hit me up if yall got any questions. Happy playing!

17. River

River Senior Member

Welcome to the club! :thumb:

Interestingly, I haven't found a POD stomp box model that I like, but it's great having so many to try.

Fire up the '58 Bassman on clean and let us know what you think.