POD X3 Live

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by River, Sep 30, 2008.

1. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I have an X3 that I haven't really had the time to unlock it's potential yet, but I love it so far. The only issue I'm having is that it keeps turning on and off intermittently. Hopefully it's just something like a firmware update I need or something.

I love it when it works and I've used it for bass, electric guitar, acoustic, and vocals. Very impressed on all accounts.

2. vortexx

vortexx Senior Member

I have an X3. I'm just lazy and don't often hook it up. I think it's a very useful tool to have even if you use it just for the effects. You can also download hundreds of presets from their web sites created by other users.

3. Goldtop75

Goldtop75 Senior Member

I've got an XT Live, had it for a couple of years, and I'm STILL exploring it's depth... Nevermind the X3!

I use it primarily for recording. Great interface!

4. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I now use an X3 Live for my church gig. The best patches I've found on are Lincoln Brewster's website...he has them for downloading. They are made for his Strat (which sounds awesome, btw), but they work just as well for a LP.

Here's a link...check out the vid as well! http://www.lincolnbrewster.com/extras.php

I also love another patch on it called 'Sunny Rainy Day'...I use it for almost all the clean songs. One of my buddies has told me about another one called 'Spinning Plates' but I haven't found it yet. :D

I go direct into the PA in stereo, and use a wedge on stage for a monitor. Lincoln Brewster does the same, but has one or both of the 1/4" outs going to amps on stage for stage volume only.

I'm considering using it for my blues gig as well, but haven't decided. It's a lot easier to move than a half-stack. :D

BB

5. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

Early firmware versions did have some power-on-or-off issues, if I remember correctly. The most recent firmware version added a "splash screen" on startup. If you see a "Line 6" splash when you turn it on, you have the most recent version. If you don't, you need to update through Monkey.

The Brewster patches are top notch, as b^2 said.

The best time to have pulled the trigger was a few weeks ago when someone (GC? Sam Ash?) was giving $100 off the X3 Live, making it the same cost as the X3 "bean". Would have been nice to make use of that deal when I got mine! :laugh2:

My Ultra II (which has the nanomag pickup for "acoustic" sound) paired with the X3 Live and a mic for vocals is a sweet little home recording setup with minimal equipment.

6. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i just got rid of my x3 live as i haven't gigged in ages and it looks like that's the way it's gonna be.

i loved it though - i used to just get lost in it mixing different amp sounds... it was hypnotic. i used to run it into the fx loop return of my amp to get the tube power amp, and it was great how 'real' it sounded.

7. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Ah, so you just bypassed the preamp section of your amp? Interesting idea! I was toying with the idea of plugging it into the fx send and using my amps preamp... turning off the amp modeling and just using the cab/mic modelers. For recording purposes, wonder if that would warm up the direct signal a bit.

8. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

that sounds really cool, man. i'd be very interested to hear the results... :thumb:

i usually switched off the cab modelling and picked one of the marshall models, and my el34 tubes put some oomph back in - not that the pod needed much adding.

i may start regretting selling the pod fairly soon. although i'm looking at a marshall drp-1 recording preamp so we'll see.

in all honesty, i'm a marshall sound hound that can't afford a gigging level marshall so i use a box of rock and a shredder happily at the moment.

9. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Senior Member

New here, wanted to chime in. I gig with an X3L regularly. I run it through a Mesa 20/20 -> Mesa 2x12 cab. Here's a pic of the rig dressed up for a Halloween gig:

[​IMG]

Running it through the 20/20 really warms it up - it's a 20 watt/side stereo EL84-driven amp. I can get the amp up into tasty territory in small venues. Running it in stereo, even if just reverb, really opens up the sound.

My favorite patches are the JTM45 and Matchless DC-30. I've done entire blues gigs on the Matchless patch, it cleans up really well with the volume knob. The JTM45 is uncanny, especially how it cleans up as well (and I own a vintage Plexi). The clean JCM800 patch is very useable as well, it really cuts through the mix. The Deluxe patch is nice, too.

Do yourself a favor and download the "Spirit" dual-tone patches. The full story is on the Line 6 site forums, but I think they were done by the "Spirit in the Sky" guitarist (he posted there). Many have a ton of echoes on them, turn them off and these are some of the most useable patches I've come across. I don't know why they're not standard on the unit. There's one with a JTM45 on one side, and a Twin on the other, it's to die for. You can find them here:

POD X3 Series info @ Vettaville.nl

I play traditional blues, and get comments from the old blues dudes I play with on the sound of the rig at every gig. The Matchless sound when played with the LP in the middle pickup selector position is really sweet. I think it's based off the "Blue Ballad" preset, I just tweaked the EQ. Nails old-school Albert King/Bloomfield -type tones.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

-Tim

10. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Good for you Riv :applause:

Best thing I did was download some of the patches from Custom Tone.

11. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I do the same. I either use the slave in on my Laney gh50l or the effects return on my Lionheart.

It seems to prefer the 6l6 powers on the GH though.

12. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Tim, have you loaded any of your patches on the Line 6 website? I'd be interested in loading them up!

BB

13. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Senior Member

No, nobody has ever asked ;) I'll look into it!

14. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Hi Tim, thanks for posting. Looks like a wonderful setup you have.

When I get my X-3 Live ( sometime this year )I thought of revisiting the Mesa amp you use. I had a great setup some years back with it and a Tubeworks 12 spring stereo reverb rack. I miss that sound. So big with the two 2 x 12 cabs I had spread across the recording stdio.

Now I'd love to get that 20/20 with a singe 2 x 12 stereo cab. Is the Mesa cab you use stereo? I could not find one on their website?
    Any recommendations?

My current Stereo Amp Is a Gibson Goldtone 2 x 12, very cool, very clean, and very LOUD!

15. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Senior Member

Thanks! My 20/20 sat dormant for years until I got the X3L about a year ago.

I did what is called the 'deep mod' on it - this is crucial IMHO. It removes a prominent mid-bump by cutting a couple of caps out of the signal path. You can Google 'deep mod' and find it. I also put JJ's tubes in at the recommendation of many. Really smooths it out.

The cab is indeed a stock Mesa. I picked it up at the factory around '97. It has a rear jack that allows you to plug into each speaker separately. I don't really use any stereo effects, I just think running two separate amps to two different speakers that are adjacent to each other adds a lot a spatial presence. This set up sounds killer on dual tones, with each amp panned hard left or right.

I really haven't tried any other power amps. If I need more volume for a bigger venue I usually run direct into the PA for support or just mic it.

It's a great set up that doesn't break my (over-40) back! It sets up in 5 minutes, and won't blow the patron's heads off. And it fits in my Mini Cooper.

The only other option I have considered is running a full range PA monitor, like an EON, especially for intimate venues. I have one at home I practice through, but I haven't tried it live yet. Many on the Line 6 forum go this route, or plug into an full range acoustic amp. I've seen good stuff about the Tech 21 gear, but have never had a chance to try one. So far, I'm diggin the 20/20 set up.

16. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Nice setup...my local Craigs List has a local guy selling a 2:90 Mesa, might look into that.

I noticed a lot of Crate guitar power amps on the list as well...anyone tried one of these?

The cheapest new tube power amp I could find was Carvin...under $300 for new.

BB

17. River

River Senior Member

Welcome, LawDaddy. Nice rig. Thanks for the tips.

18. big_mak

big_mak Senior Member

BB,

snag that 2:90 MESA they are unreal. Used to have one. Really miss it now. I might be using my xtlive more often if I still had it.

With the XtLive though its way easier to mess with the patches when its hooked up to your PC removes a lot of confusion! imho any way.

19. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

Just in case you guys haven't seen this:

Line 6 - POD X3 - Guitar Multi Effects Processor

"Coming soon: Free FX Boost for POD X3!

Give your POD® X3 a boost with the POD® X3 V2.0 update. Get a dozen additional FX models – absolutely free!

POD X3 V2.0 will include a wide variety of effects including tremolos, shifters, phasers, a delay and an inspiring vocoder. Each effect was inspired by* sought-after stompboxes and rack gear including a T.C. Electronic® 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay, Roland® Dimension D stereo chorus, Boss® VB-2 vibrato, Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper, and others.

Add the update to your POD X3 and push your effect model count to a whopping 110!

POD X3 V2.0 will be compatible with POD® X3, POD® X3 Live and POD® X3 Pro."

Now, for you folks who aren't familiar with how Line6 does things like this, that whole "coming soon" part is very tongue-in-cheek. Originally, it had a rumored release date of January 14th, 2010. That then became "next month" and then simply "coming soon."

Still...something new in the works for the X3, which hasn't had an update since May 2009. That's good news. :)

20. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

:thumb: