POD X3 Live

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by River, Sep 30, 2008.

1. River

River Senior Member

Just arrived. I haven't really figured out how to use but the most basic of features yet, but I am greatly pleased and impressed. I'm playing it through an Alesis Sumo 300 P/A amp. So far I'm just switching back and forth between the "canned" Plexi Lead and Clean Chorus settings. Any and all hints/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

2. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

sell it and buy a marshall.

just kidding. they are pretty cool. i had a pod xt live floorboard and i couldnt figure it out to save my life. got rid of it. it did have some cool features, but i am an idiot.

3. River

River Senior Member

Yeah, yeah, I know... I almost prefaced the post with "Purists, please ignore". I don't mind though.

I already have a Marshall, and a one-off 18W tube built on commission. But there are times... and I've heard what these puppies can do. I'm a geek by trade, but even so yes, they can be a bit intimidating when trying to operate without the PC interface.

I'm just looking for advice on how to get the most out of it. This is the floorboard version too, just X3 rather than XT (more models, I think, and a few more controls on the board than the XT).

Hey, tell me which Marshall I should emulate, with specific dial settings, and I'll make that my first self-tutorial! :thumb:

4. mobprop667

mobprop667 V.I.P. Member

i actually use a pod 2.0 for practicng. they are pretty good for getting a lot of models.

5. stinger

stinger Senior Member

I have one. It allows some great tones and I can use it with headphones and if I mix it correctly, I can jam with CD's and sound like I'm playing in the band. The neighbors never know the difference.

Use Gearbox to edit the Pod x3 with the pc.

6. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

I used Line 6 stuff for a long time - Flextone, Flex II, POD, POD II, XT Live. They were very versatile and did a great job of relieving my amp GAS for a long time (although as I write down the number of Line 6 products I've owned, maybe my amp GAS simply became Line 6 GAS :rolleyes:).

If the X3 is like all the rest, you'll need to spend some time playing around with it and tweaking, but eventually you'll be able to pull some great sounds out of it. Be patient.

7. armann

armann Senior Member

The Pod X3 is great.

I have the XT Live but I would never use it live as weird as that sounds.
    Just for teaching and practising.

8. b-squared

b-squared Banned

If you go on the Line 6 page you can download other dude's patches. I even have a few on there.

The tough thing to deal with at first is that the patches that come on it are not at a unity gain. The "Eruption" Patch is at a good volume, but the "Bohemian Rhapsody" patch is MUCH louder.

I used one for gigging (pop/rock) for about 6 months, but the tone sounded very sterile to me. For high-gain playing it would much better I think.

BB

9. River

River Senior Member

Through what did you amp it for gigging, BB?

10. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I ran stereo into a BBE Sonic Maximizer, then into a stereo power (PA) amp. From that I went into 2 4x12 Marshall cabs. It sounded pretty awesome in stereo.

BB

11. Hexa

Hexa Senior Member

I usually connect my POD XT in my Traynor Effects Return. The result is very good. It works better that using the "input" jack. I don't find the sound to be sterile at all but I did have to tweak the settings quite a bit before finding what worked for me.

12. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Keep in mind I was using a power amp, not a guitar amp. What I found sterile were the amp models...no touch response like a tube amp.

I had to have a clean, semi-crunch, full crunch, and lead tones...guitar volume always on 10 for the most part.

BB

13. uOpt

uOpt Senior Member

I wasn't impressed by the Pod X3 that I had. Too cold sounding compared to my Vox Tonelab LE.

The Tonelab needs more fiddling, the factory presets are not all that great, but it has more potential IMHO.

14. stonevibe

stonevibe Senior Member

I have a Tonelab SE around here which is great, but I wouldn't mind picking up a POD at some point too.

They are great for when its late at night and the kids are asleep!

Considering I also own a ton of valve preamps, combos & Guitar Rig 3 / Amplitube and many more besides it'll have to wait!

15. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I couldnt live without my PODXT, for recording

16. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

I had both the POD 2.0 and the XTLive. They didn`t grab me for some reason. I might try the Zoom G9.2tt. But I am hearing alot of plus and minuses bout them.

17. stinger

stinger Senior Member

The POD X3 Live is nice in that you can use two models and really fatten them up. I can't say they sound just like the real amps they are modeled after but if they are close you can really sit down an explore some of the options most of us could never afford. I like using a Bogner model with a Dual Rectifier model. I could never afford to buy both to play with nor coudl I crank them up to hear how they sound cranked up.

18. Jason

Jason Senior Member

How's it working for you, Riv? Anybody else have anything to say about this pedal? I may be pulling the trigger in a week or so... :D

19. QuicksilverSS

QuicksilverSS Senior Member

I've had an XT Live for a few years now..still finding new stuff to do with it..I still need to go online and download some new effects...

20. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I really love that the X3 can do two inputs/outputs simultaneously, and can also handle bass and vocals. If it had a looper and a tube power amp like the Vox Toneworks, it would be a no brainer.