Pod x3, boss gt-10, digitech rp1000?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by PINKBITS, Jul 30, 2009.

1. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I know there have been shitloads of threads on the POD and BOSS but haven't been able to find out much info on the RP1000.

I'm considering a multi fx unit for home recording and would be interesting to try in the fx loops of my tube amps as well. Would be wonderfull if I was able to get a dual use from a single unit.

The main issue I have found with other multi fx I have heard in the past is like so many others, the drives/distortions sound terrible. No tube character just flat and lifeless. I will say though it's been a few years since I looked into modelling so am sure things have improved. I did hear a couple of clips B-Squared did which sounded really good. Pitty he can't play terribly well :naughty: :laugh2:

So just a couple of questions but please add anything else you believe is relevent. :thumb:

Are you able to use your tube amps drive coupled with any of these?

Which one in your opinion has the best/most convincing drives and distortions?

Which one has the best fx?

Are any more suited to either PC recording or live use through a tube amp?

I am also a bit of a technical dumbass which from what I have researched so far is making me lean towards the X3 or the RP1000. The G-10 does seem to be complicated.

Out of those two probably learning towards to X3 due to its support base, downloads etc.

Anyways, any help you can provide me with would be really appreciated.

2. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

I forgot to add that for me where they seem to really fall down is in the mild to medium overdrive settings. Seem to do nice cleans and a decent metal tone but that nice smooth overdrive tone seems to be diffucult to obtain. I love that tone.

3. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Did a bit of looking on youtube last night. The Digitech RP1000 looks pretty good. I really like how you can insert fx etc before or after you amps preamp and also that you can use your amps gain etc.

Thought I might get a couple of replies. Must be someone out there with some info on these units :hmm:

4. Jason

Jason Senior Member

It's a fecking one man thread! :laugh2: Wish I could help you out, man.. but I'm in the same boat, in the research stage. Mostly looking for something that sounds like a real amp and cabinet, not too worried about other effects.

5. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

:laugh2: I know :shock: :cool:

Thanks anyways mate. If you happen upon anything interesting drop me a line.

The more I look into it the more I like the look of the RP1000.

Not settled yet though.

6. Horse

Horse Senior Member

Guys,

out of those, the line 6 X3 is the best. they improve all the time and the X3 has a very responsive set of drives, its what they are best at though. Sure you will struggle to get quite the same level of richness as from an amp but hey, you aint paying for 20 real amps!

my friend just bought the X3, its pretty good. much better than my Zoom G7.1ut!

Im a bit bipolar about multieffects, i love the drives on my zoom, some clean models are great as are the JCM800 and Dual rectifier models.

the boss i havent heard, i know the effects are good but many dont live the drives.

it has to be said though, go out and try them.

7. Dave1968

Dave1968 Senior Member

I'd go along with that! I also have the Zoom G7, I got it from the States cheaper than here in the UK a few years ago and yeah the dual recitifier is good!! The clean amps are good too. Its a very good example!!

Backin the 80's i wanted a Yamaha SPX90 but could never afford one. So I bought the Zoom. Its good though not as many models as the POD X3.
    The research i did on POD X3 got better reviews than all the others as well the regular updates and downloads from Line 6. It is very easy to use and you can have two amp models played at once. I tried a couple of the same amps together experimenting to reproduce a double track effect doing the Freebird solo and it sounds spot on!! It has bass amps and vocal effects too. For recording it is probably the best thing going! I have a snide version of Mixcraft 4 I have downloaded and keep trying to find the time to get hooked up etc. I have however recorded the POD X3 on Cubase Le which came with the Zoom. It is fantastic.

Im after a power head and 2 x12 cab (left and right input) to get that stereo sound for home and jamming type thing out at friends. My brother had a similar set up late 80's with a Galien Krueger, I've never heard anything as good up until the POD. He has Twin Reverbs and a Bassman and it is very hard to distinguish between either real or clone.

I like alot of the presets as many give you that inspiration immediately. Whether I have my Tele 'chicken pickin' through a old Gibson or Fender Tweed to Van Halen through a tube setting through a 'Cavernous' reverb there are endless combinations to keep the brain matter ticking over.

Whether its Beatles to Metallica you'd be hard pressed to not find a sound or make a better one up for yourself. I intend to do alot of recording and writing. If I was going to gig I would buy the floor control panel as i have the desktop version but at present Im not in a band.

I cannot sing POD X3 praises enough. There will always be cynics but Im sure the tube fan has been fooled many a time by a cloned amp!! The effects are good though Im not really more than a nice reverb for solo type of person. 'Flange- Aint talkin bout love, Phase 90 Van Halen.. im in heaven with that heaven state sound! They are good but like I say I don't really do them. I will not be looking for a alternative again. Just a pre-amp and 2 x 12 cab and the odd guitar to my collection.

Hope it helps

8. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I have the RP500 and definitely wished I had waited a couple of months to get the RP1000, I have always been one to advocate analog effects pedals and true amp distortion over any fx gizmos but I really like the RP500 and 1000.

I use the RP for recording guitar tracks in hotel rooms where I can't disturb others and get some amazing results.

9. jimification

jimification Member

I was in the same position as you 1 year ago: choosing between the PodX3, GT-10 and Zoom G92tt. I called my local shop and "booked" a couple of hours to give them all a decent try-out. Here's what I thought of each one:

GT10: I thought the effects on the GT-10 sounded great, really lush, wide choruses, 3d reverbs etc. but the amp models sounded nasty to me. I really don't like Roland's COSM modelling (I had it on my Boss BR-600 too) I just think it sounds very harsh, processed and digital. Just not nice to play. The GT-10 is incredibly flexible though, so it may be possible to "dial this out" given more experience with the unit.

Zoom G9.2t: The Zoom sounded pretty good, probably in between the other two. It uses two tubes and does sound a bit more tube like than the other two.

Pod X3: As soon as I plugged in I just found this one sounded natural and responsive. It just felt much more like playing a real amp than the other two. This is the one I ended up going for, but it was an easy decision in the end.

I've been using it for a year now and I still think it's a great piece of gear. The amp models are great: very natural and responsive and they record very well. Do they sound like a nice tube amp? no not really - once recorded and sat in a mix they're not too far off, but they don't have the touch response of a tube amp and the distortion just isn't quite right.

I use the Pod as my audio interface too, so If I'm recording my headphones are plugged into the pod and I hear my PC through the pod (via USB) I'm hearing the guitar sound direct from the pod, so there's no worries with latency or any of that jazz - you can get a nice guitar track down very quickly.

I think it's not so hot as an effects unit though - not bad, just ok. You can use the built in "loop" to set it up with the 4 cable method and it doesn't sound bad but I've done some a/b tests and it definitely degrades the tone a fair bit. I've just got a nice new amp and I'm going to get some pedals for the loop and just keep the pod for recording / practice.

Hope that helps a bit. Of course, like anything this is totally subjective and I'd definitely suggest you take some time to try them all out in a shop (preferably with your own guitar)

10. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

I agree with jimification, the x3(I have the live version) sounds like amps, if you do it pysically, play all amp models loud, meand the mastervolume of the pressets up to 9-10 and you'll get a very big headroom for a modeler, and do the mastervolume with the inside db loudness.
    the man I'm playing with got the GT10, but he switched over to the Vox tonelab st, very good sound in combination with an old Ibanez tubeking driver and compressor. But I prefer the POD X3 especially for their vintage amp modelling, no better on the planet.
    I play bass and guitar in several bands and this is the ultimate easiest solution!!! Big monitorsystem and everything is fine:dude:

:hippie:

11. Drudeboy

Drudeboy V.I.P. Member

Line 6 M13, no modelling, just stompbox heaven

12. PINKBITS

PINKBITS Senior Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I do appreciate it. Still not sold on anything as yet.

13. JayDub

JayDub Junior Member

I've been using the RP500 for about 8 months now, and the other (more talented) guitarist at my church has had the X3 for about the same amount of time. We've noted:

Both units:
    **allow you to bypass the amp/cab modeling and use it as a pedalboard into the front of your amp.
    **have good-to-excellent amp modeling capabilities. Tonefreaks will be able to tell the difference sometimes, but not always (IMHO I think it depends more on the PA system)
    **unlike their older/smaller siblings, these units allow you to adjust the gain on the individual amp models, which makes a huge difference in getting the tube break up right where you want it

The X3 owner picked it because:
    *it had more buttons (RP1000 wasn't out yet) for more options on stage without having to access the control screen.
    *it has more/better refined patches available online
    *it has more adjustable variables to make tiny tweaks to his tone
    *Lincoln Brewster uses one (not exactly "objective", but still a reason)
    *you can emulate dual amp/cabs with it--two completely separate tones available with the press of a footswitch
    *way more I/O options for recording, loops, etc

I picked the RP500 because:
    *it had a large display that can be customized, and is easy to see when playing live in all but the brightest outdoor light. that display screen on the X3 is essentially useless for making quick adjustments unless you get on your knees so you can read it. If you play your guitar down there, I suppose that's no big deal
    *it is an easier unit to plug-and-play. Less minute variables=less trouble
    *less expensive (although the RP1000 is pretty close to the same cost as the X3)
    *I previously had a Line6 pod I didn't like, and a DigiTech RP150 I did like, so I was biased
    *I have no interest (or talent) for recording

Playing live, I wish my RP500 did the dual-rig thing, and the X3 guy wishes he had a large display like mine. (once when I was running FOH, I asked him to cut back on the repeats in his delay setting because of room reverberation---he had to do it after practice rather than get on hands & knees to wade through the screen menus) Neither of us want to go back to go back to dragging amps around. These units sound plenty good enough.

But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong--Dennis Miller

Jay Dub

14. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

Check out the GSP1101 and Control 2 floorboard. Not an all in one processor/controller format like the others you originally asked about, but it fits everything else and they sound great and give you a lot of options for set up and integrating your tube amps preamp provided it has an FX loop.
    Mine is for sale, but not because I don't like it...I just don't have a need for it for gigging or home use and I could use the cash towards other stuff.
    If I ever a multi-effect processor again I will buy another w/out hesitation. And I would be chiming in on this thread even if I was still gigging with mine as much as I used to.

15. if6was9

if6was9 Senior Member

I picked up a RP1000 from the local Guitar Center 2 months ago. I have been tweaking the presets using the editing software ( since it is easier to rename patches using the keyboard) however, I decided to do a 'on the fly' change the other day (for the first time) and discovered that one of the controls is not working ( it will only increase the parameter not decrease it) I just email Digitech support this weekend and received a response today. All it said was that my unit has a defective pot.

Can kick myself for not checking everything out on it right away, now can't return it to GC and have no plans with dealing with sending it to Digitech. Paid $500 for it and it had a defect out of the box, buyer beware.
    I can still change parameters with software and since I don't play in a band any more (just jam at the house with friends) I'll just deal with the defect.

Other than that PINKBITS, I think that it has great sounding distortion sounds, but then again my tastes my not be the same as yours. Lots of effects, amp sims, looping ability etc.

[​IMG]

16. mannydingo

mannydingo Junior Member

So what did you finally get?

17. adaytonguitarist

adaytonguitarist Junior Member

I own and use the Pod X3Live, i also recently picked up a Zoom 7.1UT.
    and Ive also had the Digitech rackmount gear [loved my 2120 artist]

Ive gigged with my X3Live for a couple years and find it very easy
    to make changes, on the fly, to any parameters [including delay]
    You just have to read your manual a few times and understand how
    your unit works and with some tweaking and a little time you can get
    some decent tones out of most any of them.

18. will c

will c Senior Member

Pod X3 all the way. I had a Vox Tonelab SE for awhile that I liked, but the Line 6 modeling technology is so much better. I think tubes in these units (Vox, Zoom) are more gimmicky than helpful to the tone.

Dave1968 likes this.
  19. mr_musica

mr_musica Member

You mean using the machine without tube and using it with tube or in general? I almost go for a G7.1t but preferred to start my pedal collection, I feel good with indivual pedals (don't care about the variety of a multi-fx) but thinking of home recording I only have my pedals and a RP90 but I guess I'll go with the RP90 for home recording since it sounds good enough to my ears, I'll see later if I get something bigger or maybe a rackmount unit.

20. will c

will c Senior Member

I mainly bought the Vox Tonelab SE because I thought it sounded better than the Pod XT Live at the time. After using it for a year, I realized I couldn't get a good medium gain tone (as my tone tastes had changed). I went back and tried out a Pod X3 Live and it had everything I needed and it sounded better than the Vox. I felt it reacted more like a tube amp with it's response to pick attack and guitar volume changes.

Vox says that the tube in the circuit is there to emulate and enhance the "tubiness" of the amp/sound. I don't think it really did anything of significance. In fact, so little voltage runs through the tube, that it didn't even glow....they put an orange LED under the tube to make it appear to glow.

You hit the nail on the head with your last statement. As long as it sounds good to you and fits YOUR needs, then more power to you. Use what you like and what inspires you. For me, it's Line 6 because I can use it live and for home recording with little to no issues. And it takes pedals on the front end and in the loop relatively well. Is it as good as my Mesa F-30 and analog pedal board? No. But for $500 it is well worth what you get in regards to tonal options and its utility, both live and in the studio.

Will