POD VS New Audio Interface

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Skynyrdpicker, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

I'm really into recording now and running a wire from my Micro Cube to my computer is giving me really poor recorded sound quality. I don't know if it's the amp, or if I need a new sound card. I was thinking a POD might help me improve my recording quality, but a friend of mine who records quite a bit suggested getting an Audio Interface (external sound card) for my computer. For the record, I'm using an older Dell with Windows 2000. Anyways, what do you guys think? I'm looking for that studio quality sound!

2. Skynyrdpicker

Damn, maybe I posted this in the wrong section

3. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

yea runing a lead out of an amp never records
    that good its always too harsh, you need something
    like a POD or USB mixer

4. Drayke

Drayke Senior Member

Ha ha......Dont mention POD in this Forum, its a swear word. I made the same mistake!!:lol:

5. Skynyrdpicker

Yeah well I know people are really into the real deal, tube amps, all that, but I'm looking for recording gear, and it seems to be pretty decent for that.

Coldsteal, so your saying recording right from the amp into a computer will always be too harsh? Thanks guys, I really need to know what to do about this one, don't want to make the wrong choice.

6. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Try usb type interfaces from M-Audio. You can go direct or mic the amp. It's the same brand hardware that comes with Pro-Tools LE. As for direct recording, without spending a ton of money for that professional sound you are probably better off putting a microphone in front of an amp. Of course then you need a real quiet place to do it. (Studio)

7. kingofnima

kingofnima Senior Member

haha yeah Line 6 is far away from that "true tube sound" infact as far away as you can probably get hahah. but I know what you mean I have the same issue. here are two nice not too expensive little boxes you can use by line 6 that are made especially for recording:
    Buy Line 6 TonePort GX USB Recording Interface at Musician's Friend
    and
    Buy Line 6 TonePort UX1 USB Recording/Modeling Interface at Musician's Friend
    there is actually another upgrade which has 2 jacks for both instrument and mic also you can get the gx with more sounds. I guess it's a ok set to start recording I hate that line 6 sound too but you can hook up your amp to that and get a good sound or so.
    have fun

8. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I run everything through my PODxt for recording (i plug my tube mic preamp into it also etc)
    people dont realize how versitile they are for recording and are 24bit
    USB, its no different than using other brand USB mixers and the software
    comes with it for multi track recording. Its what they were built for.
    its not just a guitar processor, people that just get them for that is really
    missing the whole point of the Pod.
    I record on Sonar 7 Producer it works perfectly with the PODxt
    Its no way a bad name to me.

As far as comparing them live its different the tube amps always
    win out live, but for recording, its awesome