Plexify a Bugera 1960?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by JakeBluesRocker, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

man, where its at is this...

finding a vintage plexi, all original in pristine condition.

and turn it into a tricked out MG

so you go from this
    [​IMG]

to this

[​IMG]

rabidhamster, Tanner and Drew224 like this.
  2. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

that post above with the video review from Yoggiesizzle, love that name, was the video that made think this thing could be improved upon. I didn't know a bout the jumping input secret. Tried that on several silverface twins years ago and just didn't get a real improvement from it, so never tried it again. but on the 1960, this was a great secret to know. It's probably not even a secret...

3. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

tell you what, give me a FREE vintage plexi, and I will. Did you even read my post?

4. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

my bass player uses one of the newer Infinium bugera 1960s as i didn't dare take out my marshall to let her use.

it sounds great. not as good as the marshall, obviously, and she's playing bass through it so i can't tell you how nuanced it is - but i can tell you it sounds great through a 2x12 with a short scale bass and a boss turbo distortion kicking it's front end in

5. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

Now give the girl an EHX Big Muff :dude:

6. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

Nice, I've thought about using this head for bass too. I played with a bassist before that played a ric through a Hiwatt... loved that sound.

7. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

if i were filthy rich id make a plexi look like a bugera 1960, just for kicks, it would be funny to see people play though it and think its a bugera =)

1 person likes this.
  8. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

nah, they're too bass-sounding. the whole point of her tone is to get that kind of obnoxious Lemmy style sound. hardly a bass at all, in fact :D

9. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

I turned my Marshall Plexi AND my Dumble into Line 6 Spider III Amps. Get on my level.

rabidhamster and Drew224 like this.
  10. Warren Weldon

Warren Weldon Peters Creek , Alaska Premium Member

I just paid 200US for a slightly used 1960 Infinium (2 hours) with box paperwork etc. and plan to do these same upgrades, thanks for the post!!

11. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Don't waste your time. YOu have an amp where EvERy thing but the chassis and the press wood box need replaced

So you just spent $200 or however much and a lot of effort to get to the very start.
    Now you have to modify the chassis to work and build another amp inside a cheap looking box you paid too much for.

Since it's inside a bugera shell it will still be worth hardly anything when you're done even if you used mercury magnetic transformers. The only people who MIghT consider buying it when you're done are parts scavengers

Keep it as is or ditch it, don't waste your time and effort unless you just want a hand built amp that looks like a crappy disposable cheap o

Rhust likes this.
  12. LPV

LPV Senior Member

On the other hand it's probably a good entryway into learning about amps. I wouldn't put any serious money into it but a few cheap caps and resistors to see what the effect is for fun, why not. Cheap amp so you aren't losing much if you screw it up.

Work safe. They can kill you if you aren't sure of what you're doing.

13. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Youre right on the learning experience, but I'm concerned what you'll learn is cheap amps (any cheapo electronics) have PCB traces that lift almost instantly.
    So its not terribly unlikely you'll mostly learn how to repair a cheaply made PCB with burnt traces. Not totally valueless, exactly, but maybe not what you have in mind. Someone told me this very thing when I got started, and I still had to burn through a bunch of traces in cheap crap before I got the picture.

Seriously, if you're gonna swap components in that amp, cut them out with their lead still attached to the circuit as long as possible, don't desolder or whatever else. then solder to the old leads as fast as you can. Practice soldering first if you're not already a wiz at it. Count to one and a half missisippi and thats how quickly you can burn a trace off the board.