Plexify a Bugera 1960?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by JakeBluesRocker, Dec 29, 2011.

1. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

They are so cheap that am actually considering it!

2. Bandit79

Bandit79 Senior Member

If you plan on getting one, make sure it is a recent build. The older bugeras have over heating problems. The newer ones don't.

With that said, I have upgraded my 1960 to be more like a Plexi.

First thing you'll want to do is swap out the Transformers and Choke. I recommend Classictone Transformers as they are the closest in construction to how they were made in the 60's. IMO Mercury Magnets are way over priced. If you can get your hands on some old Drake Transformers, they would be great. The Output Transformer(OT) is the the transformer that converts the audio signal from the Tubes to a electrical current that will go through the Power Transformer. The OT is a main component in the amp's voice.

Second, replace the Filter caps with some Sozo capacitors. Smoothens out the sound a bit, also makes the amp's harmonics sound fuller.

Then I would change the tubes to some nice Genalex 12ax7 and KT66 or Winged C(EL34) if you want to stay with El34's. If you're looking for the Hendrix/Page amp tones, get the KT66 as thats what they were using. Ac/Dc tones would be the El34.

Id like to mention that the amp isn't 150 watts as advertised. Its 150w PEAK and 100w RMS. RMS is what counts. With that said, the amp is extremely loud though, as with any non master volume 100w.

With all that money in it, you might as well get a Ceritone or Metro kit. Maybe find a used Marshall 1959. The 1960 is an exact copy of the Marshall 1959, but with cheaper components. I love my 1960, it sounded decent stock, but was missing some mojo. Thats because of the Transformers, as they(bugera) uses the same transformers in all their 100w heads. For instance, a 6260(5150 clone) and a 1960(slp clone) use the same transformers, but are different style amps. Their voicing is pretty similiar because of the Transformers.

As I said though, if you can find a newer one and want to make a fun, killer sounding project, knock your socks off. I recommend buying a boutique kit though since youre gonna be throwing a good amount of cash to "Plexify" the 1960.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions

3. blink75

blink75 Senior Member

Excuse my ignorance but what does the term plexify really mean? Plexiglass something?

4. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

:thumb:
    Have you play a real 1959 superlead or a reissue?
    Ohh and now that you mention boutique kits,what do you think about this?
    http://triodeelectronics.com/50wmarshkit.html

5. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

Go from this
    [​IMG]
    To this
    [​IMG]

6. bufbills

bufbills Senior Member

Plexi Reissue
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3Os80p0u4]Marshall Plexi 1987x - YouTube[/ame]

7. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

That's a plexi? Isn't it a 2204 "prototype"?
    Plexis(BB,JTM45,SP59)-X series-jcm800-jcm900-DSL-TSL-JVH-MG-Haze-Class 5-AFD-YMG-etc.

8. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

By the time you spent all of the money to mod a Bugera (They are $450 new) you could afford a Ceriatone clone or something of the like. I don't see the practicality.

rabidhamster and Rhust like this.
  9. Bandit79

Bandit79 Senior Member

I havent seen that kit before, but since you can pick your own parts when you buy, and for the price, it doesnt seem too bad.

A 1959 is a reissue. Thats the model number, like the 2204. With that being said, I've played a 1968 Super Lead Plexi, a 1966 JTM and many 1959 reissues. To be honest, I dont think any new production amp or kit will re create the exact sound as the originals. You can get close.

A "Plexi" refers to the amps that had a Plexiglass front panel, instead of the later Aluminum panels. The video posted in here has the 1987x, which has more gain than the Super Leads and isnt considered a Plexi. Slash used the 1987x, which is what the afd amp was modeled after.

Ill echo what Lespaul+SG said.

New Bugera 1960=$350
    Transformer upgrade=$250
    Tube upgrade=$200-$300
    New Capacitors=$100
    Total=$1000

For that price, you can pick up a used Marshall reissue or a ceritone kit.

I love my amp after all the work Ive put into, and she sounds amazing. Every bit as good as the marshall reissues, but it has no resale value as a Bugera. If I knew I was gonna put the amount of money I did to mod it, I would have bought a Metro amp.

10. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

yea,better wait for the AFD5 plexi/jcm800 with mods included

1 person likes this.
  11. Bandit79

Bandit79 Senior Member

Sounds like a better idea to me :applause:, especially if you dont need 50-100 watts

1 person likes this.
  12. JakeBluesRocker

JakeBluesRocker Banned

You are completely right,100 watt amps are for rock out in coliseums(big gig) not in your bedroom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i use a 100w amp in my bedroom.

thank god for attenuators :D

1 person likes this.
  14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Senior Member

Don't waste your money on Bugera, and don't reward blatant theft and poor quality.

15. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

Hey Bandit79, I wound up with one of these 1960 heads in trade and wanted to ask you some questions about your experience messing with them. Joined this forum to write you but I can't figure out how to PM you, not seeing the option anywhere?

If you could get back to me whenever would be appreciated!

16. Drew224

Drew224 "Obvious BS Artist" V.I.P. Member

There is some painful misinformation in this thread. First off, Page's Marshalls were '69 models, they came with EL34s, then were modded slightly, then were switched up to KT88s (not KT66s).
    Also, no Bugera amp is good. Not even a newer one that "doesn't overheat." Even if you swap the trannies, and even the filter caps, all the other components are so terrible that you might as well be pissing money down the drain when you can get a finished Ceriatone to you door with a PPIMV installed for less than $1000.

Kris Ford likes this.
  17. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

I have long ago started looking into the 'budget' plexi-amp, better knowns as the Bugera 1960.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Sh3gjwaIg]Bugera 1960 vs. Marshall 1959 Plexi Amp Demo Review Shoot-out TTK Style - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbJd5oPBjE&feature=relmfu]Bugera 1960 vs. Marshall 1959 - LOOK INSIDE - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf5A1v2RV0E]Pimp My Plexi - Part II - The Bugera 1960 mod'd like a Marshall 1959 RR model - YouTube[/ame]

............................... o0o ................................

PRETTY DECENT REVIEW . . . love the warm channel's tone !

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqf-oQ7dKNM]Bugera 1960 Amp Review - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  18. Batman

Batman Senior Member

You need 5 posts in order to PM another member. . .get posting!

19. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

5 posts, I'm on it. I was hoping to pm Bandit to avoid the inevitable HATRED from the marshall faithful. Just for you information, I got the 1960 for free. And, by nature, I tinker... with everything. I just feel most everything in it's stock form can be improved upon with some tinkering. So, irregardless of what you may think of Bugeras, I'm going to tinker with the 1960 and have some fun with it. Not trying to fool people into thinking its a marshall or anything like that.

20. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

The idea is to mess around inside of the 1960 to get my chops up to actually complete a nicer Plexi Kit (yet to be determined which????).

So please, I'm not here to find out if the 1960 is the "real deal." I know its not.