Please help me identify this Aria Pro 2

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by gastur, Sep 2, 2017.

1. gastur

gastur Junior Member

Yesterday i bought a strange Aria pro 2 that looks like a les paul but have some really advanced electronics. Its no serial number on it and i have tried finding anything on the net that looks like it but so far i havent. Im guessing just based on the shape of the head stock that it might be a 70s model but i really have no clue.
    Hope someone here can help me identify it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brokentoeswalker likes this.
  2. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Strange indeed!

Initially it gave me a MIJ Matsumoku vibe, but I've never seen any Matsumoku Aria Pro like that ever before.
    On closer inspection I'd say it's post-Matsumoku and then most likely made in Korea (late 80's).

I think the main giveaway is the headstock logo and inlay. The logo simply doesn't look right to me, and that inlay was never used by Matsumoku(to my knowledge).
    I also think the hardware is showing some MIK signs, but it could've been changed of course.
    No serial number is also an indication of a post-Matsumoku guitar (even though such guitars do exist).

I'm not saying it's definitely not MIJ or made by Matsumoku. But if it was made between 1976 and 1987 then it's most likely a custom order and a one-off guitar.

If you could show us an image of the electronics and pickup routing then it might give more of an indication as to what it actually is.

3. gastur

gastur Junior Member

Thank you for the your input. I got a interesting theory on an other forum that might be true. They thought it was a frankenstein guitar.. Neck from a Aria pro2 and body from a kay/univox effector. I googled that and the body most certainly looks like the univox effector.
    I tried to google the head shape and aria used that between 78 and 80 i think.. But the logo in the middle isnt that common on lp style guitars.. But i seen it on some of the Aria pro Herb Ellis guitars.. So maybe a univox body and a late 70s herb ellis neck?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  4. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Oh, it's a bolt-on?
    That makes sense then!

The headstock style is called "Transitional" and was used between 78-79 on a few certain models.
    I'd have to dig through my archives, but maybe they did use that headstock inlay. So your theory could very well be correct (apart from the Herb Ellis bit because they were all set-necks afaik)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member