Please give me advice wheather Jamplay is better as Guitartricks?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by ZdrasteJanky, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Protooljunkie

Protooljunkie Member

All of their song lessons have a supplemental tab button that has the music tablature written out for you, if you're not sure where he is on the neck. I've been on Jamplay for less than a month now and I love it! It has tons of lessons on music theory, and songs to learn. You can go at your own pace and learn the things you want to learn. It's like having a 24 hour guitar instructor that's there on my time schedule. I'm not on Jamplay to just learn songs. To me the music theory is my main focus in my learning. The songs are just an added plus. I'm sure going to a live instructor is great, but not everybody can schedule it in at certain times, or has the money. I paid a little over a hundred for the year for Jamplay, and I'm already certain I'm going to get my money's worth. Hope this helps anybody who's thinking about signing up. :)

2. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

Good quality classical guitars usually don't have fret markers. It's a pain learning from videos like that.

3. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

If you sign up, you can get the tab. I was trying to decide whether to sign up, and that video kind of pushed me away from forking over money.

It was an electric guitar, not a classical. I'm sure the instructor was playing a guitar he likes, but the lack of position markers just made things more difficult than they needed to be.

4. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

Oh, that sucks, they should really pay attention to that.

1 person likes this.
  5. QuarterTone

QuarterTone Senior Member

I don't have any feedback for you on Jamplay or Guitar Tricks.

However, I did recently buy and download several courses from TrueFire and have dug into them and learned quite a lot. If you wait they put their courses on sale a lot and all the ones I bought were 40% off. They were around $15 for each course and I would say without at a doubt that each of them was worth every penny.

6. Paulinator

Paulinator Banned

To sum it up very quickly, Guitartricks is better for beginners (their beginners lesson course is much more streamlined and not overwhelming). Jamplay is more complex in their structure, more to chose from overall, so it's better suited for intermediate to advanced players. Jamplay also has the "artist" series where certain recording artists give lessons.

There are positives and negatives about both sites, but my advice is to try Guitartricks if you're a beginner but only keep the membership long enough to go through the beginner course, then sign up for Jamplay.

1 person likes this.
  7. Paulinator

Paulinator Banned

So I just took my own advice lol. Just renewed my Jamplay membership ($99 holiday special) and signed up for a monthly Guitartricks account, and here's my plan:

I will only keep the Guitartricks account long enough to download some lessons and progress through their "Core" program. They have a bunch of hit songs in their catalog too that I can practice while the membership is active (I figure I will keep their membership for about 4 months, so $60). I'll use Jamplay for more obscure and underground genres and take advantage of their artist instructors. I will renew the Jamplay account every year, as long as they keep having sales.

This plan will bring the grand total for online lessons this year to $159 and then $99 per year moving forward. Also, for about the next 8 hours Guitartricks.com has a promotional bonus audio series called "The Song Builder's Tool Box" included free with the membership. It's an mp3 download and equates to 2 discs worth of audio instruction regarding how to write your own songs. It states a $79 value...not sure about that, but it's free!!!

8. faco1976

faco1976 Senior Member

Disclaimer: with my website, I'm participating in Jamplay and Guitartricks affiliate programs both.

That said, I subscribed and tried out the two platforms, and here I describe and compare them (there are also some sample videolessons). If you wish check it out:
    guitartricks and jamplay

9. JackOfAll

JackOfAll Junior Member

Thanks for that video, cleared things up for me

10. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

No problem, glad to help. I just signed up with jamplay as well for the classical guitar lessons, :acoustic: the guy in the comparison video had a link to a coupon for a free trial: http://www.theguitarlesson.com/guitar-lesson-blog/guitar-lesson-review/guitar-tricks-vs-jamplay/

I think there is also one for guitartricks.

I'm also thinking about buying the rocksmith guitar game, not sure about that one though. Wish I could try it first somewhere to see if it works, someone mentioned that they tried it at Guitar center, but the one near me didn't have it :dunno:

11. faco1976

faco1976 Senior Member

12. moomtazz

moomtazz Senior Member

Hey I wanted to chime in. I read this thread a few weeks ago and decided to give guitar tricks a try for $15/month. I am a beginner, having started guitar in February. I have been playing Rocksmith 2014 and going to 1hr lessons bi-monthly.

Guitar tricks seems really well laid out for a beginner like myself. When I started it I was already pretty much through step one in their plan, due to the Rocksmith, lessons, and stuff like marty schwartz and justinguitar.

To be honest, you can probably find the beginner stuff for free on youtube, but guitar tricks lays it out very concisely and in a logical manner. The closest free one I have run across is justinguitar.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks with guitar tracks I have learned some simple melodies and how to do a passable blues shuffle. I'm very satisfied with it so far.

13. Tyler S

Tyler S Junior Member

I have recently tried a membership of each, Guitar Tricks and JamPlay, and have created a full video comparison on my blog:

http://www.voicesinc.org/guitar-tricks-vs-jamplay/

Here are my quick thoughts:

Firstly, they both currently offer free trials. Clearly this is the best avenue for most people to take. Simply sign up for each, and see which one you like better.

As a beginner, I feel Guitar Tricks is set up a bit better. What I found when using these types of websites, whether it's for the guitar or piano, is that if you're a beginner, it's SO easy to get distracted.

I've been using a piano app called flowkey, and all I want to do is learn to play songs, when really I should be learning how to play the basics of the piano first. Same thing sort of applies to the guitar.

I can't imagine a beginner trying to use True Fire (another guitar learning membership). There are so many things you want to check out a see on that site, when really you should be learning the basics.

Guitar Tricks offers a step by step plan for beginners. It's called their Core Learning System and it's great. It's what I recommend for beginners.

JamPlay I feel is better for non beginners. They have some awesome genre lessons, and different live lessons and various courses. For beginners, I feel they might get distracted and discouraged by all these things going on.

I'm my opinion, Guitar Tricks does a better job and setting you up on a step by step path, so for beginners, I recommend this.

But honestly, just take a free trial from both and test them out.

Hope this helps.

Tyler

14. MorganPeline

MorganPeline Senior Member

15. MorganPeline

MorganPeline Senior Member

16. andydgg

andydgg Junior Member

I'm on guitartricks, and their structured approach is very good, I've played for years and got up to grade 7 rgt and a degree in music so guitartricks is a bit of a brush up and i'm enjoying working through each lesson, even though most of the time I've got it on in the background noodling away on my own, the backing tracks are quite good to play along to when it gets to that bit of the lesson. Thinking about their plus, but the times are out and I'd miss most of the web cam group lessons, anyone else on the full access plus add on care to comment?