Please give me advice wheather Jamplay is better as Guitartricks?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by ZdrasteJanky, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ZdrasteJanky

ZdrasteJanky Junior Member

Hi there. I am considering to subscribe to Guitartricks. They have $99 annual offer . But is Jamplay better? I have middle level , playing not very fast , not advanced technically. Please advice me, thx

2. braxxen

braxxen Senior Member

I wouldn't know myself but I saw the website for Jamplay and was considering maybe trying it out. Is it any good.

1 person likes this.
  3. 970harris

970harris Senior Member

I have no experience with Jamplay, but other forum members have reviewed it very favorably (check out the threads below).

You might try to get access to a free sample from GuitarTricks to assess things there for yourself, but my recommendation is steer clear of them. I am a reasonably advanced player, but found that their insructional vids moved too quickly and lacked clarity / detail in explanation. After hanging with them on a couple of lessons, I cancelled my subscription.

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from them asking me to come back. I responded with feedback on my initial experience with them; never heard anything back, of course.

There is a wealth of good info on online instructional alternatives, alot of which is free, in the earlier threads following below. Personally I use You Tube selectively, have found Vanderbilly to be a pretty good resource, and really like Stevie Snacks (lot's of good SRV-related and bluess fundamentals). Most of their stuff is for purchase (disk or download), but I really like Truefire, too.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/guitar-lessons/213195-best-free-online-guitar-teachers-youtube.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/guitar-lessons/190894-best-online-guitar-teacher.html

Good hunting!

1 person likes this.
  4. JamPlay

JamPlay Junior Member

Kevin here with JamPlay.com. I am of course a bit biased in my opinion but we are confident that we're leaps and bounds better. Instead of trying to convince you, the best bet is just to try JamPlay out for yourself. If for any reason you don't feel we're a good fit, let us know and we'll give you a full refund..no questions asked.

If anyone has any questions, let me know!

5. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

I use GuitarTricks. Have also tried JamPlay.
    I stick with Guitar Tricks, they have some great blues songs to learn. I don't really use the sites for lessons, I prefer to sit with a teacher and interact with questions.

1 person likes this.
  6. HyperSprite

HyperSprite Junior Member

I can't speak for JamPlay, I have not tried them.

I had GutarTricks for a while right after they got a bunch of licensed songs. I agree with the above about the clarity of some of the lessons. It seemed a little like they would start out clear and then about half way though a song just assume you could figure it out. Also, the browser player they had was difficult to use while also trying to read the tab. Maybe if it had a pop-out player or something. Anyway, after a year at 99, I gave it up. Frankly, the Rocksmith game and YouTube have taught me more in less time.

1 person likes this.
  7. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

I agree to some extent about the GuitarTricks lessons, sometimes, they can go through them too quickly, but, the video player they have has a looper, hence you can loop sections to your hearts content until you get it right.

I mainly stick with Anders on GuitarTricks, he is a great player and a good teacher. In all of his new songs (Cream, Hendrix) he does a slowed down section on each part of each song that you can loop and learn. I did this on the Little Wing intro, without it, I would not be able to play that song like I can now.

I really like the songs they licence, I would like more Blues and more BB King, maybe it will come through time, but for me, for the variation it gives me away from my guitar teacher, I find it is really good and can often compliment the theory my guitar teacher teaches when you stumble across it in a song (things then click into place).

1 person likes this.
  8. 970harris

970harris Senior Member

I think that's a good bet, too --- use the videos as a basis for guiding your work / "lesson plans" with your local guitar teacher.

9. Hotspur

Hotspur Senior Member

I was hired to do some reviews of both, and thus had members access for a while.

The truth is that all of the paid-lesson sites can be a little hit-or-miss. Generally, I thought that Jamplay offered the best, consistently high-quality set of lessons ... but it's not like they didn't occasionally miss (there were one or two jaw-droppingly bad lessons, in my opinion, but there were far more truly excellent ones).

There were a few overall holes - I thought the ear training section was woefully inadequate, although who knows, maybe they'll have worked on that some in the interim, since I reviewed them around a year ago, IIRC.

But I was definitely more impressed by Jamplay than I was by their competition.

That being said, look, a lot of it is going to come down to which teachers you groove with, as well as how hard you push yourself. You could learn a lot from any of these sites.

2 people like this.
  10. ZdrasteJanky

ZdrasteJanky Junior Member

thanx all, signed up to jamplay. they have not so many popular songs...

11. guitarville USA

guitarville USA Member

They both have good points, but after you are done with your time with them, or even now, consider looking at guitar 365.com. Carl has many many song lessons that are free, and if you are a subscriber in the premium lessons at 10 bucks a month, well he'll put right on track to improve your guitar playing. Anyway stop on over and check it out.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Senior Member

I have a bunch of Lick Library DVD's and also a year subscription to Guitar Tricks. 99 bucks, such a deal! :D

What I do for the Guitar Tricks videos is download them to my PC then play them back with VLC Payer. Not only is it free, but you can slow down the video (90, 80, 70%) and retain pitch with it!

What I do is download all the video files to one folder and save the tab page to that same folder. Then I go back and get rid of all the browser files EXCEPT the TAB file and I'm good to go!

But I do have to admit I spend more time with the Lick Library stuff.

SIDEBAR: I'm learning Foghat's "Slowride" through Guitar Tricks. Never really liked the song but you get a whole different perspective, and appreciation for it, when you play it! Sounds like a real simple blues based song but it's not!

13. ledzepp2122

ledzepp2122 Senior Member

How about signing up with an actual guitar teacher.

14. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Senior Member

You mean in person? It's my experience that Online and Video instruction is not only better but a whole lot cheaper than one on one lessons.

But yeah, sometime or another everyone HAS to start playing with another person or a band or risk staying in that "practice" rut.

15. videorov

videorov Junior Member

There is also guitarmastersclass.net which has lots of lessons and songs etc some site don't. But I think JamPlay seems to have a large following and the money behind them to be the best on the net and growing everyday.
    I was with them one year and was happy with all their lessons. Im getting ready to renew my year sub since I will have time now to practice. You can't go wrong with them.I have tried Guitartricks and left them too because of few songs, I have used guitarmastersclass for new things others don't have. Been with
    Next Level guitar and thats just a bunch of licks and tricks, no full songs and looping controls like Jamplay and guitarmasters.
    Im going back with Jamplay for another year.

16. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

They must be both great options.
    But I believe that until tomorrow rocksmith 2014 is priced at discount, $49 with cable, so I would definitely consider also this option.
    I'm not saying that it should replace your online lessons, but there are tons of lessons in rocksmith 2014.

Even Marty Schwarz speaks very highly of rocksmith 2014.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFqaz_0A5mY[/ame]

17. videorov

videorov Junior Member

I belong to all of them Jamplay, Guitartricks and Marty lessons plus
    just bought Rocksmith 2014 which is better then their first version.
    When you add them all up if only the cost of a few weeks of lessons
    in the real world. Lessons with a teacher would cost you a whole lot
    more. That is why I don't mind buying them all, its cheap when you look
    at it that way. I also belong to Guitarmasterclass.com

18. kyrnik

kyrnik Member

I've used Jamplay for a few months. It was worth the price in my opinion. I found the lessons to be very helpful. I also liked the fact that they have multiple instructors to choose from. If you don't like the teaching style of one then you can try another. They have a sale right now where you can get the first month for $9.95. At that price I'd try it and cancel if you don't like it.

19. fisherman

fisherman Junior Member

I went with guitartricks, don't really know why, but I like it a lot. I'm not that good though. Yet! :slash:

Check this vid, it shows both sites side by side, but put it on full screen:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5pR77uqqc8]Guitartricks vs Jamplay - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  20. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I got a cheap membership deal on Guitar Tricks. Good for the money.

I checked out Jamplay, but I was turned off by one video I was watching. The instructor was playing a guitar with no position markers on the fingerboard, which made it really difficult to follow what was going on. Too much time counting frets rather than following the lesson.