Playing for 12+ years.. I still suck.

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Destroythevoice, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Senior Member

Just wanted to link you guys an idea of where I'm at play-wise... You can see that I have issues really expanding all over my fretboard. I kind of stick to my area... Hope this kind of helps. Embarrassing to show to be honest.

CaptainT, CheopisIV, geddy and 3 others like this.
  2. Destroythevoice

How does anyone feel about guitarmasterclass? 10 bucks a month or something like that.. I also use guitar pro 5 like crazy

3. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

Man, I'd have a hard time using a site like that. Too much variety. Not enough structure.

At this stage in my playing, I need a clear game plan and some sort of time limit to get there. I'm the type of person that would need to see clear progression on a month to month basis; if not I lose interest.

If your desire is to expand your playing area and to be more fluid in your solos, I'd try to get together with a local instructor (or an online one that you can have personal interaction with) and have a well defined plan of attack for what you want to achieve and by when. You are certainly not a beginner and I'm sure you have your goals clear in mind.

I guess if I found a very clear 12 week program to accomplish, X, it might be something I'd personally look into.

But everyones personality is different and you might thrive on the sheer volume and variety..... you're in the best position to determine if you think it makes sense. Maybe spend a couple of months trying it and quickly eject out if your not seeing clear progress by then. Good luck.

Destroythevoice and Malikon like this.
  4. Malikon

Malikon Henshin! V.I.P. Member

that guitar is badass

Destroythevoice likes this.
  5. Destroythevoice

Thank you! Im currently in the process of modding it to have gold hardware and passive pickups. Im actually not a fan of the EMGs that came with it

Malikon likes this.
  6. Danomyte

Danomyte Senior Member

Huge thanks to you guys for putting out the word about TrueFire! :h5: I wasn't making much progress and I didn't know which way to go. I didn't know TF existed. I just got a plan for Truefire, and I'm excited about it, especially the learning paths.

Quick PSA: Truefire plans are half-off right now, and Reverb has Truefire $20 gift certificates available for $8 right now.

Destroythevoice and Eddie 70 like this.
  7. algs911

algs911 Senior Member

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. I played rhythm only, then our lead guitar player left (we only played a few parties, so it wasn't all serious or anything). I really wanted to continue to play, so I had to step it up and become a better, more rounded player. That was the catalyst I needed.

I started with YouTube videos ("Now You Shred" is a fun channel) and learned basic blues solo patterns (E position and A position to start with). I then expanded from there. I took a LOT of effort and experimentation. I still learn something new almost every day.

I got a looper pedal (a very basic one at that) so I could practice certain sections of songs we were doing. I now have a Digitech Trio which is like a looper, but lays down a bass and drum track. These are wonderful practice tools and have allowed me to learn via experimentation and repetitiveness.

I'm now the lead guitar player in a gigging band. I DO NOT "shred" (my fingers simply aren't that fast yet). My solos have a lot of dramatic pauses and space (which is actually quite nice and nobody seems to notice that I'm really not fast). My lack of speed seems to be a blessing (busy solos really bother me anyway).

Have fun with it. Experiment. Take it one step at a time. Practice scales when others are watching TV, etc. You're in a GREAT place right now and have so much potential. The grand total amount of time I've been playing is eight years. You can do it!!!

Danomyte likes this.
  8. Danomyte

Danomyte Senior Member

Hell Yes. I've lost many an e string to Now You Shred.

9. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

Everyone has an opinion about a thread topic such as this, hence the large amount of replies!

10. DavGrape

DavGrape Silver Supporter

Playing with other people is the way.
    Good rhthym playing IS guitar playing.
    People really don't like the shredders.
    They like good sound.

DarrellV and slug_maine like this.
  11. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Shredders should have been gymnasts.

12. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

I think you might have the same affliction as me, you just can't find that secret sauce for good phrasing. I've been searching for 50 years.

DavGrape likes this.
  13. DavGrape

Oh, but slug, I liked it.

slug_maine likes this.
  14. geddy

geddy Senior Member

Sounds good to me.

Online lessons I'd take a look at Justin Guitar who I think is pretty good. Also take a look at sliding Tom's blues lessons on this forum.

However if recommend face to face lessons. I like 1 on 1 but there's a great benefit to the part time classes such as the ACM do in the UK. You learn and get to play with other musicians which is the best way to improve.

15. DavGrape

Oh, but I suck, too!

CheopisIV, frankv and slug_maine like this.
  16. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

This :Ohno:. I hate feeling like I'll be bothering someone.

17. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

It's the socks...

DarrellV and DavGrape like this.
  18. DavGrape

God-dammit!
    Of course!

Sp8ctre likes this.
  19. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Forget that! Those are epic Rock Sox!
    P.S. I've found my sicks getting taller as I approach 40. Is that a thing?

On topic, I liked the video. Do more! Keep rolling and for inspiration check out Lick Library (paid) or Justin Guitar (free).

Sp8ctre likes this.
  20. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I was gonna say that! :rofl:

Tone socks! The next new thing!

DavGrape and Sp8ctre like this.