Players 64 SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by trumpetvest, Oct 8, 2016.

1. trumpetvest

trumpetvest Member

I am in the market for a players SG and have passed on a couple as they just have too many issues to justify the money.

I have been looking at this one and have cut a deal with the seller at about 30% less than his asking price.

I know it's difficult to judge from pics but it looks OK to me, some changed parts but nothing too structural , looks like there maybe is a cracking to the body near the neck joint, maybe just a finish cracking but will have to be investigated. A set of period klusons and some pickup covers and I would be quite happy with it.

Any opinions / advice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201684459412

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I say do it!

Though, with those Grovers being cranked into the headstock veneer, there will be some serious circular dents, and there runs the risk of the washer bonding with the finish, and could cause damage when trying to remove..I'd leave those unless you plan on refinishing headstock.. as they're part of the guitar's life story, plus it's a lot of coin for those Klusons, just to have a mediocre set of tuners for historical accuracy..

Cover the pickups and go is what I say!:D

3. trumpetvest

trumpetvest Member

Thank you Kris, really value your experience and knowledge of SG's, hopefully I can get it over the line after the weekend.

Your right about the tuners, maybe an expense too far.

Just some nice covers and maybe switch the T top to the neck position, always liked a neck T top in neck , not so much in the bridge.

Just one question about the pickups. Looking closely at both it looks like the wires coming off the bobbins are red and white, is this correct? Only ever seen black and white.

Thanks again for your time.

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

No prob! It's a nice player SG! If not cracked, I think you'd really be happy with it!
    I'd want to see the baseplates..as black and white is what I know as well.
    Could have been tapped at one time maybe?