Played some 'bursts for the first time

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by space_chase, Oct 23, 2017.

1. goldtop0

goldtop0 Senior Member

I agree with you that the old ones are what they are and the Historics have been a boom for us players that can't afford them.
    In '11 when I was there I played every old burst, GT and Custom I could get my hands on, either unplugged or plugged in(3 or 4), and there was only one of those, a '59 burst, that I went......... 'now that's very very good'.
    What a great show it is.

2. Meclazine2

Meclazine2 Member

Nice one!

You will value that photo for the rest of your life.

3. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

Congrats! They are magical things, especially when you plug them in. It was very cool of Tom to let you play it. Love the pic! That should be your avatar!!

4. Mr.Oregon

Mr.Oregon Member

Tom is definitely an authority just like the burst brothers, they've had their hands on more bursts than anyone.... cool that he let you play it... more dealers need to do this. When I was younger I saw a 52' tele, asked the guy if they truly were better than the new ones.... his response was "you wanna play it" that was the first time I played a vintage Tele. Fast forward a few years and I was able to play a few vintage strats, played a 61' for over an hour and even though I loved the tone I didn't like how big the neck was..... last year I decided to pull the trigger and bought my first 64' strat and instantly loved it... this year I saw another one come up for sale with a slightly smaller neck and bought it.... needless to say I didn't need 2 64's so I sold the one I bought last year because my newer one was perfect. My point being if we can't play these things we will never buy one, and as a dealer it's only smart business to let people play them, because eventually they will buy them.

Howard2k, Lousyatit and pinefd like this.
  5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Thanks for sharing this. In the bluegrass world, when the standard for tone was set by a particular style of Martin guitar, that pretty much assured that Martins were always going to be revered in that genre because they sound exactly like... Martins. Does that make them "the best" or in some way mystical? Honestly, I think not -- unless you are specifically looking for that original, defining tone. I'd say the same for the old bursts. They are indeed absolutely the best at sounding like old bursts because they are old bursts. If that's the specific tone you want, well, it's over. But if you're a musician with a personal tone or sound that is different from that, who gives a hoot in hell about an old burst? To be honest, most music, including great guitar music, does not use that particular sound. In 30 years, when Clapton and his fans (like me) are gone, is anyone going to care all that much about the "best" guitar for the "best" guitar sound? I love old bursts, but think we're nearing the end of burst worship, and I'll be glad when we do.

6. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

Also, what people associate with the classic Les Paul tone is not just the guitar on its own. There always an amp in the equation, and not just any amp. It seems like most people overlook this fact (or, on the other hand, forget about the guitar and only talk about the amp). And then there's the mic and all that's added in the post-production step of makign that iconic record.

7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

Hopefully you obeyed this rule.....
    505508-149239.jpg

8. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I would translate your statement here as the guitar being balanced well.

I can tell in the photo, unless you have gorilla hands!, the way your grip is around the neck that it's on the thinner side. I'm starting to like the necks somewhere in between the '59 and '60 carve. Especially when I get up in no mans land.

LeftyF2003 likes this.
  9. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

kakerlak likes this.