Played Our Coldest Gig Last Night

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by northernguitarguy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

What a great party! Barn bash/corn roast. Bonfire outside. Sky is littered with a gazillion stars. Inside the barn, two great bands! Bleachers crafted out of hay bales. Brand new huge stage with built in drum riser. Lots of decent lighting. Sizeable crowd for the event. Barn was full.

And really fuckin cold. When we hit the stage at 10:30, the outside temperature was 5C/41F. Though bodies and party commotion warmed it up, we still felt that cold night air creep in through the drafty barn walls. When we finished, the outdoor temperature was 2C/35.6F. :eek2: (Don't I look frozen?)

This was pretty much the hardest musical experience I've ever had. Lotsa fun, but damn it was a challenge. Hopefully pics to follow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    framos, rikko, Mockbel and 32 others like this.
  2. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

Right on! :dude::dude:

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. northernguitarguy

Thanks man, but I'm still feeling chilled to the bone. Poor drummer has rods in his back, he of course was sweating like the Hog that he is, but soaking in his cold wet sweatshirt. Guy had to go in a hot tub just to warm up and feel his legs again.

Byron999, HeartString and CRobbins like this.
  4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Holy crap, that would be tough.

5. northernguitarguy

Poor Mario was beat by the end of it. We close with War Pigs and BS is his favourite. As soon as we concluded with our own dissonant version of the tape speed up, he was done. We go to pack up and my sweet missus is on the mic, pumping the crowd with a loud "We want Whole Lotta Rosie!" It's a Jekyll/Hyde moment for her. She's an extreme introvert, but a couple of beers brings out the other side. Mario can't say no to her, not in this moment. He starts a very fast four count, and suddenly we're playing AC/DC like we're the Ramones. I'm just screaming at this point, voice is raw and ragged. I can see my breath and a still packed barn is having a wild time.

BSeneca, BanditPanda, smk506 and 6 others like this.
  6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Bah....try playing new year's eve outdoors by the brink of Niagara Falls @ -15 Celsius! (4 degrees Fahrenheit)
    :fingersx:

But it sounds like a you had a good time nonetheless!

7. northernguitarguy

Yeah, but we're a bunch of pampered middle-agers, not a pro like you! Dammit! We have espresso and biscotti during rehearsal breaks!

That is impressive. Did they have any patio heaters on stage? Can't use those in a barn. Something about fire hazards.

Byron999 and HeartString like this.
  8. northernguitarguy

Here are a couple of obligatory 'pics or it didn't happen' pics. On the second shot, we had a special guest, Karen LeBlanc come up and belt out Higher Ground and Jumping Jack Flash. She's Julian's girlfriend on the Trailer Park Boys, and she's been on some other programs. She used to be the main Tina Turner in the Legends of Rock outfit. Amazing to play with a real singer. Our lead was nuts to play all night in a tee, I don't know how he managed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. northernguitarguy

My Gibson wouldn't stay in tune worth a shit last night. The Northern was pretty amazing by comparison.

10. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

d2e0dce29394ac3295aee2a9137a56b5.jpg

:laugh2:

glad you had fun.

11. northernguitarguy

:rofl:If you knew my sweetheart, you'd know that's not bloody likely. We were all pretty surprised to see it was her that stole the mic. Completely out of character.

Thanks, Mal! We did have fun, but this one left some blisters. First time at a lively gig where I wanted it to be done. Usually, in those rare amazing moments, I wish I had the endurance of Springsteen, but last night, I was ready to sit by the fire-in my family room.

12. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

playing guitar in the cold is really bad for your hands, too. I've done it but I try not to. And it can make your hands ache for days after the gig.

(fingerless cotton gloves help, but palm muting feels really weird.)

...and people will bust your balls for wearing the gloves. :laugh2:

13. freak

freak Silver Supporter

so................typical summer time Canadian gig, eh?

:thumb:

LPV, Freddy G, Howard2k and 6 others like this.
  14. northernguitarguy

Not something I want to do too often (really, ever again). Felt my age last night (physically).

Byron999 and HeartString like this.
  15. northernguitarguy

Lol. I was waiting for that comment from you. Actually, the reason it's held in September is when it's warm, the barn is supposed to get uncomfortably hot. I've played those conditions, I can't say what's worse.

Harmony, HeartString and freak like this.
  16. freak

freak Silver Supporter

Was NOT letting that one go by.:h5:

My wife is from Canada, btw.

17. northernguitarguy

Ha! Igloos, eh?

Love that YELLOW guitar! I recently got that bug and ordered one of these last Friday. :applause:

[​IMG]

ben.jammin, smk506 and freak like this.
  18. dave b

dave b Senior Member

I feel your pain, NGG. We played an outdoor gig maybe 50 feet from a lake in central Nova Scotia on May 20. As the sun went down, we damn near froze. Not as cold as yours, but still...DAMN.

Yep. But the show must go on:band:

freak and northernguitarguy like this.
  19. northernguitarguy

Bless you, kind sir! Hey Dave, how did your guitars hold up? I have come to realize that I can't rely on my Gibson in these circumstances. Damn thing would be in tune and then out of it by the time I gave it a strum. The Northern, by comparison held on for 2-3 songs in a row. Maybe it's just older and the wood is more settled? Perhaps the impenetrable MIJ poly finish it a better insulator for the Northern?

20. dave b

dave b Senior Member

No issues with my LP Standard that I can recall. Don't think I took the spare out of its case. I think our temps went down to high single digits, which after a sunny day in early summer, sure FELT cold. Yours were near freezing.....yikes.