Platinum PAFs sneak peak and availability

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Dave Stephens, May 30, 2007.

1. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Well I'll be posting this announcement several spots on the forum so here goes first shot.

I've been obsessed and fascinated with PAFs for about five years now, pretty much my whole humbucker line-up is an evolutionary story of my self education and research to get as authentic a tone as possible, a never ending search.

What have I learned so far? I'll tell you a little and leave some things out I keep to myself. There is no ONE secret to PAF tone. Its not the magnets, its not the coil offset, its not "aging." Its a sum of each component doing its part, if one part isn't correct you won't get the real deal tones, something will be missing. For me I don't want to "cheat" and try to get that tone using wrong guage wire etc. etc. like some do. One of the pieces of the puzzle thats come together this last year has been the particular kinds of steel alloys used in the pickups. These alloys are critically important and its why StewMac humbucker kits will always sound like StewMac pickups, they can't be anything else.

So with that in mind these sound clips are my top of the line PAF recreations, aimed at one kind of PAF tone, being articulate and full of clarity and soul. I've had my own pole screws made in two correct alloys to my own design specs. I've made my own keeper bars in the correct alloy and hand cut my own slugs and hand plated them (will be having them made soon). So I've put all this knowledge into this current offering for those who want something really nice, paying total respect to history.

I am looking for ideas for a name for this set, tentatively they are called the Platinum Series PAF set. There will be two versions, this is version One. If you have any ideas for names please let me know, it has to be classy and point out these are top-of-the-line.

OK, the bad news is these are going to retail for $375 a set, possibly more but thats the starting price. Secondly my wait time is close to 12 weeks now and getting longer, it always happens when summer comes along, I just have to live with it and keep going :)

Here's the sound clips, excuse my sloppy playing :) The clips are done through a '73 Princeton played low then turned up. There's nothing between the guitar and the amp, no tricks, just stupid simple so you can hear the pickups and the guitar. For you guys who play heavy music maybe you can't relate to this kind of sound clip, if you buy a set or any of my stuff and can play damn good I sure could use some guys who play heavy stuff to send me sound clips of my products, I'm just not that kind of player, me play bluessss. If your clips are great I'll use them on my website and credit the player with links if you have them.

Additonally, the pickup set comes with an extra set of pole screws in alternate alloys, so you can change the tone of the pickups by swapping out pole pieces. I am going to be offering pole screw sets for you guys who want to change the tone of your existing humbuckers or P90s soon, they will be $26 for two sets of different alloys, 24 screws in all. I'll explain more later or email me about that. Pole screw alloy content has a daramatic effect on tone, any steel part in a humbucker does.

Ok, I'll shut up now, here's the clips, enjoy:

http://www.sdpickups.com/audio/platinum-cranked.mp3
    http://www.sdpickups.com/audio/platinum-clean.mp3

Dave

2. dogbone94

dogbone94 Senior Member

any demo sets ? i would like to try a set... dave

3. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Sorry no. This and the follow up Platinum II set (sound clip coming soon, this weekend maybe) involve so much hand work that I can't discount the price. The keepers are hand machined as well as the slugs. I can't find anyone yet to make this stuff in the right alloys at the right price so I make it the way I want for each set. I"m even hand plating the slugs myself. My other sets I do use Asian/offshore parts for darker tonal effects. The PAF alloys make for real articulate open sounding tones, I could easily wind a bridge pickup to 9K or more and it wouldn't sound plugged up at all. Gibson 57 Classics I think may be using the same or similar alloys, why they potted those things though is beyond me, it kills all the good stuff. I don't use the same alnicos they do, they kinda missed the point but they came close....