PIO caps?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by tin dirigible, Aug 8, 2009.

1. tin dirigible

tin dirigible Senior Member

I placed an order for my PUP's today from GFS, Vintage '59 neck - Fat Pat bridge! I was going to also get some orange drop caps, but they were out of stock. Thinking of getting some POI's now,(Russian military surplus). Does anyone know a good source for these or other POI's?

2. Silly_Sam

Silly_Sam Senior Member

I guess Ebay.

3. KP

KP Senior Member

Contact Jonesy... he is a member here.

4. Skynyrdpicker

Skynyrdpicker Senior Member

+1, I just got some from him and they're going in my Epi monday :)

5. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

6. BPSUL

BPSUL Senior Member

Or the guy "outtahere" on this forum and the gear page sells the russians for ten bucks per pair, shipped. They're great.

7. ZoSo0789

ZoSo0789 Senior Member

Just get some Mallory 150s..... good PIO cap with tight tolerances and quality right there with Orange Drops and not all that expensive. If you know where to shop, you can get 'em for 99 cents a piece. A good cap is a good cap..... no need to waste a perfectly good $10, $15, $20, $30 on over hyped caps like many people do. If you want the vintage mojo, thats one thing. But to think there's a literal tone difference? Its all in your head. PIO caps do sound smoother and overall better than cheap caps, thats true. The main source of difference where you'll hear it is when using (changing) the tone control.... and how long does a turn last to hear that difference? All of an 1/8 of a second maybe? You wont hear it's literal tone per se, youll just realize the taper is smoother, warmer, and just plain feels better. But as far as saying some fancy Russion NOS military surplus $40 PIO cap will sound better that a perfectly good PIO thats just as good quality (if not better in some instances) is just ridiculous. Bottom line: a good cap is a good cap. Dont overpay for over hyped stuff when there's no need. I mena, do you think allof the Les Pauls from the holy grail era has expensive caps like those? No, Gibson used current production good quality PIO caps that were easily accessible at the time.

8. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I dunno, man. I just recently changed out a stock ceramic cap in my Gibby for an Orange Drop and I notice a huge difference in tone even with the tone pot all the way open. Keep in mind, even when your pot is on 10 you're still bleeding off through the tone cap. The value of the pot determines how much of the signal you're bleeding on 10.

Everything in your chain plays a huge part though too... your ability to notice the changes between caps will have a lot to do with the quality of your amp and what kind/how much distortion you're using.

9. yllsacky

yllsacky Senior Member

hes not a member hes ''The member'' xD jonesy is awsome!:applause:

10. standard man

standard man Senior Member

Ha! Agreed!

11. Davey Rockets

Davey Rockets Senior Member

to answer your question... Antique Electronic Supply - I've had real good dealings with them.

And I suppose caps are a matter of personal taste and preference. I've tried PIO caps, and replaced them with Orange Drops. I always come back to Orange Drops.. and I certainly do hear a difference!

12. Christmas

Christmas Senior Member

Jonesy! Or RS Guitarworks.

13. ZoSo0789

ZoSo0789 Senior Member

Yes, you changed out a stock CERAMIC cap for a high quality Orange Drop. As I claimed in my post, this WILL be a difference; a huge difference in fact. I was saying there's not going to be any truly audible difference between a modern day high quality PIO Mallory 150 from some over hyped NOS Russian military PIO that people pay sometimes $20 or $30 a piece for.

And yes, thought the pot is on 10, it is still bleeding to ground. I know this well as I dont even have either of my tone pots on 10... usually around 3 or 4 for the bridge and 7 or 8 for the neck depending on what pups I have in