Pigtronix infinity looper

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Tobacowes, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Tobacowes

Tobacowes Junior Member

Appreciate any thoughts on pigtronixs looper or any others

2. David Lee

David Lee Junior Member

Just started using looper. Used the Boss RC30 for a performance once last Thur. Loved the experience so much, I searched for a better looper to top it all, yes because I am OCD, and found the Infinity. Within 24 hours, I have the Infinity in my hands, PTL, and am looking forward to diving in.

Why did I swap the RC30 out for the Infinity? Because I wanted an easy way to go from verse to chorus, song structure, and the Infinity being designed for it from day 1 will do that easily, while the RC30 will struggle and not quite pull it off, from what I read.

Oh, and also for the zero latency and much higher sound quality, not to mention true bypass (transparent analog pass-through).

The downside is, the RC30 has 99 memory slots for saving, while the Infinity only has 9, in part due to the much larger sound file because they use a much higher sample rate (hence the sound quality difference) of 24 bit/48 kHZ compared to RC30's sample rate of 16 bit/44.1 kHz.

Some may say, yeah, but at 16 bit/44.1 kHz, it's CD quality and the human ear can't perceive anything beyond that. But consider each link the chain will cause a loss of signal. From the looper to the amp (and other pedals in between if any), to the recording system to the recording media (if you record), we inevitably lose sound information.

My humble 2-cents.

3. Bladesg

Bladesg Member

Do the firmware update as it will give you 50 presets.

David Lee likes this.
  4. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I've owned and used the Ditto, the Ditto x4, the Boss RC-20xl, the Boss RC-300, the Nux Loop Core (Boss Rc-3 clone) and the Vox Lil Looper. Of all of these, I found the RC-20xl to be the most intuitive and reliable. I just keep going back to it.

The Ditto series tend, in my experience, to be a bit buggy, which is deal-able with at home (if occasionally annoying) but no good if you are performing. The Nux and Vox are fine, but are kind of basic and don't store much, while the RC-300 is just too large to drag around and has a steep learning curve. If the Ditto x4 worked without hassles, it would be ideal for my needs, as it has interesting features, a simple interface and midi (useful for integrating other looping tools like the BeatBuddy). Unfortunately, it isn't reliable.

I'd love to try the Pigtronix, as I've only ever read great things about it, but would be reluctant to buy one without a trial and have never found one here in Tokyo (I am sure they're around, but I just haven't come across one).

Currently messing about with the Digitech Trio+, which is great fun, but probably not what you're after.