Pictures of your (home)studio setup!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Kølabrennern, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

We can talk about our gear 'till the cows come home, but I'd like to see some pictures of your recording/mixing/production setups. :thumb:

I'll start with my relatively humble home studio. I find great joy in DIY stuff like my "superchunk" corner panels, which are basically just rockwool chunks cut in triangles with a frame in front of them. Moved a lot of mic stands and mics out of the way for the picture and also have a reflective panel right above the listening position now, but you get the idea. I'm also running two screens now; I have no idea how I survived without for so long. :)

[​IMG]

pickerrr, framos, djjagdish and 13 others like this.
  2. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

SWEET room man! Very nice!

3. mattD

mattD Member

great idea, here's my cave:
    [​IMG]

right wall:
    [​IMG]

left wall:
    [​IMG]

workstation:
    [​IMG]

i was taking a break from recording some stuff, so excuse the mess

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Here's my home studio:

[​IMG]

And my studio at work:

[​IMG]

And my mobile set-up:

[​IMG]

5. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Freddy you got some nice stuff there man!

Here's our little project studio set up now:

[​IMG]

Just did some drum tracks today using pro tools 9, and the new Digi 003 rack +. I was impressed. Everything sounded big and my buddy's room is working out really well for the drums!!

I copied Freddy's recent church mic placement (sort of mics weren't placed yet in pic) I don't have all my drum mics we were making due with what we had.
    [​IMG]

Soon we'll do bass and guitars:

[​IMG]

framos, Leendrix and ScienceX like this.
  6. Buggaluggs

Buggaluggs Senior Member

I have the Behringer version of that hat

Decoy: I bet those drums are deafening in that space. I'd like to hear what come out of that studio.

7. Kølabrennern

Some really cool stuff so far!

I used to be the assistant technician and producer in a slightly better studio.
    [​IMG]

That's Steve Albini's old console. :)

8. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Awesome! :dude: It is clear you know what you're doing!

9. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Believe it or not the drums sound really good in that room. I was very shocked. The cymbals are a bit hard to control. We probably will have to put something on the ceiling to tame them a bit, since the cymbals bounce right off the ceiling since they are close. But the actual room sounds good. The sound sort of projects out toward you. I usually have to use ear plugs when Im around ANY drums but in that room I can go w/o them for a bit.

I'm not used to NS10's though. Does anyone have any advice with regard to those?? I know they are more for mixing. Not much bass in them. But I guess thats the point.

Leendrix likes this.
  10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

There is no magic bullet. You just have to get used to them. Whenever I have to work on any monitor that I dont know like the back of my hand I will bring reference material with me. I'll listen to my reference material for a minute, then switch to the project I'm working on and mix a bit, then switch back to my reference material and so on. You need to keep your ears callibrated with material that you know really well. For reference material I would advise using CDs that were mastered before the loudness wars became totally stupid. Stuff from the mid 90's is usually OK.

Leendrix and ScienceX like this.
  11. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Good point man.. I didn't really get a chance to do that since we were trying to get drums tracked within a certain amount of time. But that will be priority when I get down there again.

:cool:

12. Frails

Frails Senior Member

What kind of monitors are those with the white cones, please? I've been wanting to buy a set of good monitors and always notice the white cones in studio pics.

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Those are yamaha NS10 speakers. They have been out of production since 2001. You can find them used on e-bay.

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Decoy, I should have mentioned that one of the tricks that works for me when mixing on NS10s is to not monitor too loud. Keep it down to 80db or less. They have quite a boost at around 1.5k and if you monitor loud you'll find yourself pulling out those freqs more than you should. Thats also the reason that some people covered the tweeters with toilet paper.

roscoenyc and mudfinger like this.
  15. Frails

Frails Senior Member

Thank you!

16. Kølabrennern

I hate NS10s. I'm not good enough to make anything sound great through them. :laugh2: Having that said, I'm not particularly fond of Genelec or other hyped-sounding monitors either. On my second set of Alesis now, after one in the previous pair died. Wanted to try Adam A7, but couldn't afford them. Sigh.

17. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Yes I noticed that boost as soon as I heard them. Definitely pretty bad bass response. So comparing other recordings will be essential for low end.

I generally don't mix very loud usually anyway so I dont think that will be a problem but that is precisely the type of advice I was looking for.

Thanks Freddy!

18. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

As the saying goes.... If you can make your Mix sound good on NS10's they will sound good anywhere...:laugh2:

I guess I'll have to give it a shot hopefully we can make it work.

In my home rig I use Genelec's 8030's. I think they are great maybe they are overhyped but I have enjoyed them.

19. mattinthehat7492

mattinthehat7492 Senior Member

Practice space and studio, built in the basement, don't have all the mics placed in the photos.

[​IMG]

Drum Setup: [​IMG]

Computer, mixer and monitors: [​IMG]

20. Bing17

Bing17 Senior Member