Pickups that sound like Bonamassa's "Spot"

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by astroshagger, Sep 16, 2018.

1. astroshagger

astroshagger Senior Member

Holy cow,

anybody know any PAF replicas that come close to the PAF's in the video above? This sound is amazing.

2. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Bonamassa has a signature set on his website.

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

You know "tone" is a combination of things, right?

Including the player.

jeff_farkas, Blue Blood and dsmcl77 like this.
  4. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

I agree and feel Joe B is a much better player than his tone may dictate. I personally find it way too thick, dark and gained out. In his defense he's a household name so who am I to criticize. Plus he is competing against a full band where midrange is his friend. Just seems his ears prefer those lower mids.

I did love his tone on the Three Kings tour so I'm not hating.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

You are going to need a killer sounding tweed amp first.

dsmcl77 likes this.
  6. Rotorhead

Rotorhead Senior Member

Most any decent PAF version will get you close, really. Play with knobs and put a little reverb into it.

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Most decent PAF clones will do that tone........my Wizz are probably the closest.

But as others have said, the pickups are only a part of the equation. A stellar vintage amp will make even bad pickups sound great.

mdubya likes this.
  8. John Ucol

John Ucol Senior Member

Most PAFs ought to suffice. I'd focus on the amp tone, as well. i.e- Gorilla amps are perfect for that Joe Bonamassa tone.

9. tonybony

tonybony Senior Member

I think that I remember reading that Spot's bridge was 10.3k and the neck was 7.0k. I could be wrong. When I hear Joe play Spot, I hear a real mid range when he is on the bridge. This makes sense to me considering the reading. I would consider an OX4 Hot Duane bridge. It is a very thick sounding pickup while still retaining clarity. I have one in my R9 paired with a Wizz NOS wire in the neck.

10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

You'd see if the bridge was 10.3 - given that the pickup is uncovered.....that would have been wire so full on the bobbins that it would have been bulging out the sides. In fact Zhangbucker (who does wind to that K rating) uses a taller bobbin as it becomes dangerous to mount a cover with such a large amount of wire.

brianbzed and cooljuk like this.
  11. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

If it is wound with wire so thin as to read that high, the turn count would be lower, negating the equivalency of "higher DCR = more midrange / less treble."

DCR is particularly misleading regarding PAFs because all the other parts, the wire sizes, coil patterns, coil offset, etc. all varied so much. It's absolutely possible to have a 6.9k reading PAF with a weak A2 sounding much much darker and a 9k+ PAF with a strong A5 and brighter coil patterns and more offset sounding much brighter.

DCR is even more misleading when it's 3rd hand info about a pickup installed in a guitar.

kboman and Stuff like this.
  12. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

DCR is just one of many specs to take into account in deciphering the potential sound of a pickup without actually hearing it. It's not everything but the temptation -- human nature tending toward all-or-nothing extremist analysis of pretty much everything -- to go the other way and claim it is meaningless must also be avoided. It's not nothing; in the context of knowing many of the other specs, it can be very useful.