Pickups in a 1980 Tokai LS50

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by 21stcsm, Mar 4, 2017.

1. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

The Tokai LS50 1980 inky that I picked up at the estate sale had a couple of SD pickup boxes in the case with these Gotoh pickups inside.

From what I understand, these are consistent with the pickups that Tokai used in that period and the owner swapped the Seymour Duncans in as replacements.

Are these pickups any good? Among the Gotohs, can anybody tell me anything about them? they don't have a letter identifier like many do...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. luis

luis Senior Member

Thoso Gotoh pickups are not period correct for a 1981 LS, it should have different ones MKII no Gotoh engraved. Yous seem to be like 90s- 2004 ones nice ones and with DC readings 7- 8,5 k but no stickers saying F=Front (neck) and R= Rear (bridge) , some replacements from Gotoh (aftermarket) maybe.

Tokai has used these pickups among the years:

1978-80/81:
    Goto brass and silver bottom plate- Di Marzios PAF nad SuperDistortion square plates- Duncan '59
    1981-85:
    Goto MKII- '57 PAF (poly insulated wires)- DI Marzios triangled plates)- Duncan '59 s
    1990s:
    Gotoh and MKII- Duncan Seth Lovers
    2000s:
    Gotoh and MKII (Gotoh and Keiyo)-Duncan Seth Lovers- Rolph '59 Pretenders (Tokai specs) (Pacifix LS-1/ES-1) and those used in Hibiki models ( 59 and 59 plus).

3. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

For what it's worth, I quite like the Gotoh PAFs in my LC100 (1979).

4. luis

luis Senior Member

Those have some nice rock'n'roll tones and are quite good but I found some improvement when changing by Dr. Vs from Wolfe McLeod and I will try a 58 Pretenders very soon.

5. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

Thank you.

So, I'm amending my original conclusion and now I'm thinking these Gotoh's (note the "h") did not come from the 1980 Inky Tokai, but just happened to be in the case with it.

Thus, I'm also not sure if the pickups in it are the SD's that originally came in the pickup boxes or the originals that came with it. Guess I'll pull them out to verify just so I know.

Either way, it sounds and plays great.

If people haven't tried Offerup btw, I just picked up a guitar from a seller off of Offerup and it's essentially an alternative to Craigslist - local.. the guitars on it in my area are almost exclusively COMPLETE junk but there are some sweet "bahgains"...

I just picked up my first Schecter, a Damien Elite C-1 that is actually a really nice player, the Duncan Designed pickups are kind of "meh"

So, I think I will put these Gotohs in it and report back!