Pickups for Les Paul & Mary Ford

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by steam-powered, Jul 25, 2013.

1. steam-powered

steam-powered Member

I play a lot of standards, same music on the old Les Paul & Mary Ford recordings. What pickups would come closest to this sound? PAF or humbucker sized P90s? Potted or unpotted (SD Antiquity)?

Your help is much appreciated. I'm playing a chambered LP that has been stripped and polished, looks amazing!

2. entresz

entresz Senior Member

No normal pickups will give you that sound. Les Paul, even back then was making his own pickups for those guitars. They were low impedance - super clean and quiet pickups. They were fitted in the Les Paul Personal/Professional/Recording guitars from the 1970's.

You could try something like a Bill Lawrence (google: wilde pickups) L90- kind of PAF like with a more hifi top end, I use them in my Gibson L6-S. Here's a clip of my trio playing 'How High The Moon, ala Les Paul' using the Bill Lawrence p/ups;
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8_wMeeX50]Entresz Trio- How High The Moon - YouTube[/ame]

they are very nice pickups. I am wanting to get a Les Paul Recording nonetheless, as i've always loved the look and sound of those guitars.

1 person likes this.
  3. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

They performed in the early '50s, so P-90s.

Seth Lover didn't apply for the patent just yet... ;)