Pickups for heavy metal...

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Mockbel, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I will play it through my Laney IRT Studio... it is a high gain amp which I like its tone much.. I am not going to use any drive pedals before it

2. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

That's awesome :dude:

The luthier/tech out this way who gig's a lot loves his Laney.
    He's an amp tech too. He thinks they are the most reliable, versatile amps, ever.

The Hot Rodded Humbucker set you are looking at should kick-it through your Laney.

Let us know when you take the plunge . :jam:

Mockbel likes this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Well, everyone stated their personal preferences, and they're all good, especially because your amp is way more important than what HB PU you use for metal. You might want to avoid low wind, low output PUs, though I use them, love them, and can get them to shake the earth with the simple addition of my modded Boss Metal Zone (!). But it's easier if you go with something hot, and Super Ds are indeed a great choice. Personally, I find that the Seymour JB compresses way too much and too quickly for me.

ntotoro and Mockbel like this.
  4. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Can’t find the desired SD set locally.. i think i need to go for alternatives... Two Dimarzio sets are offered locally.. both have D Activator neck and for bridge one is super distortion and the other is evolution... listened to few demos and liked the super distortion more than evolution..

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Hey Mockbel.....do you have to buy locally? A good winder will spin you exactly what you want. Vineham’s HB’s sell for around $60USD plus shipping. He wound me the best pickup I’ve ever played.

Mockbel likes this.
  6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Yeah I would prefer to buy locally.. i will wait for the desired SD set.. as much as i can :)

7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

A gibson set is offered (498t + 490r)

Does it stand against the JB/Jazz set? Would it do well for heavy metal?

8. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I had pretty much the same guitar--- an MH400FR-- there is nothing more metal than EMGs. They are a fantastic tone platform for high gain. They are dreadful for fuzz of vintage tones-- but you are looking for metal? What is wrong with your EMG setup?

9. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

You've pretty much answered your own question.

EMG's are decent high gain pickups, but there are oodles of passive options that sound better (IMO) and are way more versatile, have way more dynamic range (EMG's are some of the most compressed sounding pickups on the market) clean up way nicer and sound far more organic across the board.

With pickups like the Duncan Pegasus/Sentient set and the Black Winter set being a thing, I wouldn't be able to get the EMG's out of TS's guitar fast enough.
    Not a fan of the Gibson 498 or 490 pickups. They get muddy pretty quick.

Instead of the typical JB/Jazz set, check out the Pegasus/Sentient set. The Pegasus is basically a JB that's been tuned to kill off that infamous JB mid spike that causes the JB to not play nice in certain guitars. It also has a tighter low end, smoother highs and it's been universally agreed that the note separation on them is immense. It isn't a mega hot pickup either, so it cleans up better than any other 'metal' pickup that Duncan makes. Raw pickup output is a misguided measurement for how good a pickup will be for metal anyway. Good metal pickups need to be dynamic, have good note articulation, a robust midrange and to have a bottom end that's both big and tight at the same time. The Pegasus ticks all of those boxes. Notice how all of the above qualities pertain to the way the pickups are voiced, not by how hot they are.

Of course there are great 'metal' pickups out there that also happen to have high output. But it's my belief that output should merely be a side-effect of designing the pickup to be voiced a certain way rather than the main event.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    JLT73 and Mockbel like this.
  10. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

In addition to the clean tone thing mentioned by Toodeepblue, even the gain sound of EMG pisses me off.. i feel it is like my always screaming wife !!! They scream more than being full and loud (especially the EMG 81 I have).

11. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Thanks man..
    I feel like the JB/Jazz is the most "safe " choice if it is a good word.. i am sure there are many even better choices but i can not afford surprises !

I will check few videos for the set you recommended anyway.. are they ceramic or alnico?

12. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

So it's basically a JB that sounds nothing like a JB... ;)

Nick

13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Not to mention really expensive to import to Egypt.

FWIW, the 490/498 combo sounds amazing through my lead guitarist’s hands and gear. I enjoyed it myself in a Gibson SG I sold a few years ago. Much preferred to the (IMO) ice-picky JB. All in all, I also think it’s amp-dependent. I now use lower mid-output pups only and get my grit from pedals and amps. Through this, I’ve found a much more ‘musical’ crunch. YMMV.

Mockbel likes this.
  14. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I will watch some videos for those 498/490 ... not very reputable from the reviews i checked and being muddy with high gain seems like a common complaint!
    I will check and i may land on them considering the current very limited choices i have !

15. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I'd look at your gain staging before swapping them. They shouldn't always scream. They weren't designed for high gain originally.

16. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Maybe that is why they scream :D

My gain is just amp gain.. at almost max + amp boost
    I have laney ironheart

17. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Alnico 5. Same exact magnet as a JB. The only difference between the JB and the Pegasus is purely the way that they're wound.
    Nope. Having owned them myself (and multiple guitars that have JB's), they definitely have a JB-like basic voicing to them. Just none of the bad bits. Kind of like a Splawn compared to a Marshall. :^)

Have you used a Pegasus before?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 2:21 PM
  18. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

personally, i use the seymour duncan JB (bridge) and DD (neck) in my Kramer. the sound is amazing. they're fantastic for all types of metal, and clean up nicely for non-distortion passages.

19. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I sure haven't. The way you describe it sounds a lot like a Duncan Custom to me and I do have a lot of time with that pickup... ;)

Nick

20. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

They are actually pretty close, EQ-wise. The Pegasus would have tighter, chuggy lows. I'd opt for the Pegasus more on the modern metal side of things, while the Custom is more like a very loud classic PAF...better for classic metal.

ntotoro likes this.