Pickups for a Beano tone?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Sunbury les paul man, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Sunbury les paul man

Sunbury les paul man Senior Member

I'm trying to nail the Clapton beano tone. One area I'm not sure what to get is the pickups.

Anyone have any advice on the most suitable pickups to emulate the tone (outside of paying for original PAF's that is)?

Walman likes this.
  2. Sunbury les paul man

Sunbury les paul man Senior Member

yeah I think I'd rather cutomise an R0 though

Does look damn sweet I'll grant you...:naughty:

3. DHBucker

DHBucker Senior Member

Buying a "Beano" reissue will not ensure you get that sound. There is some controversy regarding EC's signal chain when it comes to that sound. We all know he used a Marshall 1962 model combo (what would later be called a Bluesbreaker), but there is some ado about whether or not he used a Dallas Rangemaster. We all know his guitar was a vintage burst. That is another wide and varied topic with many opinions. There isn't any one PAF "clone" pickup that will nail that tone exactly be it the "Beano tone" or any other guitar tone that was generated by a vintage Les Paul. You can get in the ballpark to be sure but only the real deal nails the PAF sound because it IS what created the PAF sound, and even at that not all PAFS are created equal. All that BS aside, Throbak's are HIGHLY regarded as being close to vintage PAF's as are Tom Holmes' pick ups, and on and on. YMMV.

Also Joe Bonamassa played with EC at the RAH and said he stood five feet away from Clapton and saw him nail the Beano tone with one of his strats....Which leads to the old argument of "tone being in the player's hands".

A daunting task sir. I wish you luck in reaching your goal. Find what makes you happy and I say it is the top!

Here's a good article IMHO Enjoy it and I hope it helps.

http://www.legendarytones.com/claptonearly1.html

5 people like this.
  4. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Buy yourself a Marshall and slap some Throbak SLE-101s in your Les Paul.

Pure heaven.

1 person likes this.
  5. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Magnet swap in those BB's.

6. DHBucker

DHBucker Senior Member

With all due respect. He asked specifically for suggestions for pickups that will help him get the "Beano" tone.....a magnet swap alone in BB's won't do it IMHO. Throbaks and a Marshall (preferably a 1962 combo with pre-Rola Celestions) will be closer but still no cigar....Okay here it is.....It will VERY tough and EXPENSIVE to even get close to duplicating that tone if possible at all. Pickups alone won't get it, amp alone won't get it....aaaaannnnnd he will "probably" need a Range Master with a germanium chip set in it. None of us are Clapton either..........Oh sure there are great and even pro players here for sure ( I tip my hat), but that tone has eluded a lot more players than I could count.
    IMHO view this as an experiment or an exercise on finding YOUR tone that has elements of EC's and other players you admire but ALWAYS try to build your own tone and you will be "more" satisfied in the end.

My brothers, it ain't merely the gear....It's the player and his ears.....

Oh and fingers, and desire, heart, blah, blah....

EDIT: and for the record. I'm just an old hack guitar player. I'm nowhere near EC or many of you fine gentlemen, but I think I have a good ear and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it....ZIP.

Have fun! That is it!

7 people like this.
  7. guitarmandp

guitarmandp Senior Member

Tone is really the player not really the guitar/amp. He had a pretty typical average tone to me but the playing is what makes it sound so good. Everyone raves about the Beano album tone but I never thought it was special at all. Everyone had that kind of sound back then. But it was his playing that made it so great. Guys seem to always get tone and playing mixed up.

5 people like this.
  8. ledfloyd

ledfloyd Senior Member

This.

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

:hmm:

Well, It looks to me like the OP doesn't want to spend a few thousand chasing that tone . He might get closer with some smaller changes in hardware and his playing style and attack . He might consider some NOS BB caps too since that was part of Clapton's sound . But maybe I am reading it wrong and he'd like to lay down 3-8K for an Amp and PAF's and still not get it . For a couple hundred or less those Magnets from what I have heard in my Beano and what i've read, the magnets are the biggest part of the change to the Beano pups. I recently did a side by side with OTPG pups in my 59 Replica and the Beano and they were very close . But they sounded great .
    Hey for a few dollars and an hour of time , he might like what he hears.
    But more than anything it was just food for thought for him.

10. Louie

Louie Senior Member

You're in London? Contact MLP member Stowburst if you want a custom-wound set. :thumb:

11. DHBucker

DHBucker Senior Member

Oh, don't get me wrong man. Any suggestion/change to help him get the sound he wants is valid in my eyes. I guess the point I was trying to make is that you can chase a tone and spend mega money on it but in the end you end up only partially satisfied. I was trying to say that it might be more satisfying to just go for his own thing with bits of other tones to create his own tone. To me that is far more thrilling than throwing down the coin of the realm is great amounts and still want more...But then again it is a never ending quest if you love guitar eh? I hope I didn't step on your toes because that wasn't my intention at all.

1 person likes this.
  12. DHBucker

DHBucker Senior Member

"My brothers, it ain't merely the gear....It's the player and his ears....."

And...

"Also Joe Bonamassa played with EC at the RAH and said he stood five feet away from Clapton and saw him nail the Beano tone with one of his strats....Which leads to the old argument of "tone being in the player's hands".

13. journeyman73

journeyman73 Senior Member

really? who else had 'that' tone before beano?

2 people like this.
  14. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

My Earthbranes nail the tone.

15. 767400

767400 Senior Member

I know you said outside of a PAF's but do you think this is close? I'm always interested in another Beano brother's opinion looking for "that tone": http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/183520-beano-tone.html
    Either way these PAF's are about 8.1k and I had the tone knob on about 5. If you think it is close that's a number I would shoot for on the bridge pickup.

16. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

According to Gibson, the Burstbucker 1n and 2 br is the way to go.on my Epip 1960v3 I recently sold,plus my bluesbreaker, I could get close...

17. Angus

Angus Senior Member

I see what you are saying, but in fairness people didn't have that tone back then because it was groundbreaking - although many came close fairly soon afterwards.

Somebody on this forum suggested tone was a function of everything in between the player's fingers and the listener's ears ( hardware) and that the technique and touch could be regarded as the player's voice. I like that myself, but its only a point of view.

There's people that have a far more qualified opinion than me, but I think EC's pickups were on the hot side for PAFs - possibly a bit bright, and I've not yet seen any evidence that he used a rangemaster other than a lot of talk commonly from people selling clones.

I think your efforts to establish specifics on hardware is entirely legitamite - best of luck with it.

18. Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown Senior Member

NO ONE had that sound back then. NO ONE. It was ground breaking and the reason why the Les Paul was eventually reissued. You need to ask someone that saw Clapton back then or experienced the record when it came out to truly understand what a revelation it was.
    It's hard today for some to understand why that sound is and was so important but its because it was the FIRST time anyone had played like that and recorded an amp at full tilt like that.

1 person likes this.
  19. journeyman73

journeyman73 Senior Member

exactly - the reason why it is so often cited is because it was such a prime, early example of that magical LP/marshall saturated tone.

contemporaries pretty quickly seem to have joined in but i dont know if there is another recorded example of that tone in its full glory before then.