Pickup Painting Experiment

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Mr. Beef, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor

I have a ton of pickups laying around at the shop, mostly black bobbins, and some zebras. I really wanted to put a pair of double creams on my CAR Standard, but didn't want to have to order a custom set. I didn't realize that DiMarzio has the rights to double creams/whites. I've read in several forums (that I don't contribute to) that painting pickups is a bad idea and doesn't work. So, like most of us would do, I did it anyway to see for myself.:D

They turned out really well and I've had zero problems with durability so far. It was really easy to do; here's what I did.

I took a pair of SD's, removed the pole pieces and roughed up the bobbins with 400 grit sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

Taped it up so only the bobbin showed.
    [​IMG]

I mixed lacquer to match some pickup rings and sprayed it very dry. I used an airbrush rather than the usual sprayer because I didn't need to cover a large surface.
    [​IMG]

Gently build up the tinted coats and then do a couple rounds of clear.
    [​IMG]

Let the lacquer harden up for a few days, then put the screws back in and scrap off the other pole pieces. Little bit of dust on this one, but oh well. They look pretty good compared to the DiMarzios on my Flying V.
    [​IMG]

Now in the CAR LP... Not too shabby!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
    Curious George likes this.
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Looks great!

The first few chips and scratches will be the true test.

3. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

If those hold up well you may find a LOT of customer requests for that! (And a cease and desist notice from the a$$holes at Dimarzio!) :laugh2:

4. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I'm not a fan of uncovered pups, but that turned out nice. Painting black P-90 covers in cream (or any other color) lacquer should work great then, eh? The Trib had black covers, replaced with nickel ones, but I have thought about painting the originals and reinstalling them.

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I've done the same thing with rings - I got the local paint shop analyse the colour from my Wizz rings/pickups.
    I bought some stewmac rings that are the typical yellow cream, and shaped them a bit before spraying the ivory cream over the top. I then put some clear over the top of that to get the typical shine back......and this helps with the scratch protection too.
    They worked well enough for my guitar with Shaws in.

6. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

That does look pretty damn good !
    Now you have me thinking of zebra-ing the humbuckers in my 7-string. Dammit :p

They're the only open humbuckers I have, and I'm not especially fond of the double black. :hmm:

7. icecoolpool

icecoolpool Member

I don't understand why they were even allowed to have the "rights" to double white/cream. They sure as sh*t didn't invent the humbucker or the colour scheme. It's like if Nike held the rights to white sneakers and no-one else could produce them in that colour. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

8. Mr. Beef

Mr. Beef Custom Refins/Restoration Premium Member MLP Sponsor