pickup adjustment height and pole pieces (comments and discussion)

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Samantha, Oct 15, 2007.

1. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member

Be freaking carefull with those pole pieces, they are fragile magnets maked to look like screws, you can break them very easily!

2. Blues hurler

Blues hurler Senior Member

Sounds like you're well on your way. You'll have to fine tune the pickup heights on the amp, and then the screws, but usually if you get the pickups right, the screws take very little adjustment. And I wouldn't be cutting anything unless I was a pro! Dan E. could do it, but not me!

3. Im called Paul

Im called Paul Member

All is well and im happy with the results for the 2 hours spent messing it has made a hell of a difference with the overall sound. My problem with the b string ringing out over the high e is now sorted and all strings have equal volume in my amps clean channel. I did use a spark plug feeler guage set to get everything in a round about place and i needed minimal adjustment on the pole heights as they where almost perfect when i cranked up the amp.
    Im glad i found this thread and thanks for pointing me to the gibson tone/pickup guide :thumb:

4. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

The whole business about the screw slots (/\/\/\) is more about getting the screws' heights to match the radius of the fretboard. They've just sort of found that on Gibson guitars, with the pickup screws set to match the radius, you'll often end up with that kind of pattern. You just don't set them in those positions arbitrarily.

Remember that not all pickups have screws (rail pickups, Tom Anderson pickups, Bartolinis, etc.) and some have more than others:

[​IMG]

This Carvin pickup, for example, has 22 separately adjustable pole pieces (allen wrench).

5. Im called Paul

Im called Paul Member

Just a quick question how much thread is on the tailpiece bolts as ive noiticed with adjusting my string height that some strings are resting on the back of the bridge.
    cheers paul

6. paulygates

paulygates Senior Member

You can raise the Tailpiece quite a lot. Its not good to have the strings resting on the back of the bridge.

The other option is topwrapping. Its worth searching this.

7. Easy Crossing

Easy Crossing Member

You really don't want the strings resting on the back side of the bridge. To correct this you have two options. (1) Raise the tail piece to a point where the strings are not touching the back of the bridge. (2) Lower the tail piece against the body then do a top-wrap string installation. In either case what you are doing is changing string angle between the bridge and tail piece. I prefer number (2) imo it provides better sustain and lighter string tension thus making for easier string bending. Which ever way you choose make sure to check for correct intonation.

8. if6was9

if6was9 Senior Member

Dan Torres of Torres Engineering has also recommended this. Here is an excerpt from this site:Untitled Document
    "HOP UP TRICK#1 To boost the brilliance and output of your humbucking pickup, Gibson, Japanese made, even Seymour Duncan and Jackson pickups, there is a trick that makes them more efficient. The 6 adjustment screws in the coil that are adjustable extend below the pickup frame, creating an inefficient magnetic field, the "impedance" of the coils isn't identical. Lower the screws into the coil about 1/8 inch below the top. Take your wire cutters and cut off the part of the screws that extends below the pickup frame. Readjust the screws so they are flush with the top of the coil. You're done! The pickup will be brighter and stronger. You have made it more efficient by eliminating the "eddy currents" in the magnetic field. Some pickups don't have extended screws (some DiMarzio's) they are more efficient already."

9. Blues hurler

Glad it's working out for you. It is amazing sometimes what some small adjustments can do. Like the others, I'd suggest you try top-wrapping the strings over the tailpiece to get them off the back of the bridge. Drop the tailpiece right down and wrap the string over the tailpiece (insert the strings into the tailpiece "backwards and wrap them up and over from the back side.) Slamming the tailpiece is supposed to increase that string to wood connection, making for better sustain and tone. Maybe. One well-known proponent of this is Billy Gibbons, and he seems to know what he's doing...

10. Im called Paul

Im called Paul Member

Ah i see now that makes sence i thought they ment wrapping something arround the strings lol.

11. Im called Paul

Im called Paul Member

Well waht a difference top wrapping the strings have made it plays way better with less force needed on the strings and they sound clearer so thanks for the info guys.
    Cheers Paul

12. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

Same :laugh2:

I'm not in that league yet.

13. Blues hurler

Excellent news! Now play it like you stole it!

14. Blues hurler

Nah. Small adjustments won't hurt anything. Just take your time with a clean amp setting and see what happens. It's subtle, but it's there. And if it doesn't do anything for you, keep track of where everything was when you started, and just put them back to where they were. Easy peasy. And if you totally screw it up, I don't know you...:naughty:

15. Im called Paul

Im called Paul Member

OK so i got my new amp for crimbo and my classic 57 pups now give me way too much muddy feedback i think this is because its a tube amp not a solid state. I did put my other guitar with emg`s in it a go just to see if it did the same and it was fine and sounded better/clearer. So my question is am i able to tame down my 57 with the poles as lowering the pups gives it a more basses feel so my only other option is lowering the poles but how low can they sit in the pickup??
    Cheers Paul

16. Blues hurler

I'd take everything back to stock settings and start again with the new amp.

17. Im called Paul

Im called Paul Member

Will do im gonna give it a good going over this aft but to be sure can the polepieces go below the top of the pup cover? and one last thing the only other thing that has changed it that i lowerer the tailpiece and topwraped my strings. So is there any earth wires below the tailpiece that i could of damaged by lowering it . Its sure strange as they sounded sweet as a nut on my old amp but not so on my new peavey...
    Cheers Paul and merry xmas.

18. Blues hurler

I wouldn't drop the pole pieces below the top of the pickup cover. I've never seen any adjusted like that and I'm not sure how well they'd work if they were buried like that. On a modern pickup, the screws shouldn't need to be too uneven. Really it's just to make up for the radius of the fret board or other minor variances between strings. I'd think that they should either be even with the pickup top or slightly protruding.

I'm not an expert on wiring, but some guitars ground to the tailpiece, but you'd have seen the wire if it was there I'd think. I've top-wrapped a few guitars with never a problem. Maybe you could post a picture or two of how you've got the pickups set now so we could take a look? You have to find the sweet spot for pickup height. Not too close and not too far as they each can hurt your sound.

19. Im called Paul

Im called Paul Member

Problem sorted the earth was soldered to the bottom of the bridge threaded insert and when i has srewed the bridge down it had cought the solder and caused it to come away.
    Anyway atleast it was a easy fix...

20. scarab1

scarab1 Senior Member

Are these pole pieces available should one get broken? Or does a person get to spend the money for another pickup?

And no I did not try this and break one, just wondering. :laugh2:
    Thanks