PICKS! What does everybody use?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by GuitarnLax36, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Jody

Jody Senior Member

I use the red mediums...
    [​IMG]

2. mtgguitar

mtgguitar Silver Supporter

I keep a few thumb picks around. They are useful when switching between guitar, keyboard, mouce and pencil.

3. jimmyb21

jimmyb21 Banned

I use those new ultex dunlop jazz iii's. I agree on the difference in sound though.

4. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

Yes. Nylon (Jazz IIIs) sound warmer and have less attack to my ears. A tortex pick is brighter and has the most attack, while celluloid is a nice balance of tone and attack. I agree it doesn't impact your tone much all things considered, but if you go from one to the other right away there is a difference.

5. jimmyb21

jimmyb21 Banned

+1....saying the pick doesn't affect tone is like saying tires don't affect driving.

6. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

I use these too, but my favorites are the humongous wedge picks.......

light. I feel like a weirdo since I am a guitar player using bass picks..... but I like how the wedge feels in my hand and the bright tone that they give off.

Unfortunately, I have only been able to pick ONE of these up, for it was part of some package thing. Then one day I went to guitar center to play some guitars and accedentialy left it in one of the guitars. missed it ever since. now I have like $25 left over as some spare change and am considering buying a handful of packs containing these awesome picks.

7. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

Also, because of their even shape, whenever you throw them, they just keep going!!!!

:laugh2:

8. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I use picks.

9. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Yes?
    Very easily.

Incoming broken tables...
    [​IMG]

Very easy to hear the difference.

10. brianugly

brianugly Senior Member

I just use the dunlop tortex picks, or whatever is on sale...I don't know the size, and don't really care...the day I give a shit about which pick I use I am going take a long look at myself in the mirror and wonder what the hell is wrong with me:)

11. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

I have a multitude of different picks.

I have different wood, stone, steel, bone, plastic, glass picks. They all sound different and have different feels.

12. Goostah

Goostah Senior Member

Fender 451 heavy picks. Love em.

I used to swear by the red Dunlops Jazz III. The tone is hard to beat but my picking kept getting hung when picking individual strings, even when I angled the pick. Fender 451 fixes that for me while keeping roughly the same size.

13. WillieG

WillieG Senior Member

Wow, 5 pages about picks. Yeah what the hell; I don't have a preferred brand, it's gotta be thick (at least 1mm) and a bit sharp (not too rounded). :hmm:

14. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy Senior Member

i used nothing but gibson medium wedge for a long time, but these days i'm not hugely fussed, and it just depends how i feel really. sometimes skinny, sometimes fat.

15. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Dunlop Nylon Standard 1.0mm Black.

If it was thicker, it would be too bulky to me and I'd lose accuracy. If it was thinner, I wouldn't like elasticity of it.

If it was too small, like a Jazz III, my finger joints would be too close to the strings. Too tall and I would lose precision.

"Ahhh, this porridge is just right!", said the guitarist in glee :)

16. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

I started with celluloid Heavy's, but I chewed 'em too much. ("351" shape.) Then I saw that J. Hetfield used Tortex greens (.88mm) & that was it for me for a long time.

After a several-month sabbatical, I found Celluloid Medium's worked better for me. EB's seemed to last the longest.

Now I'm on a quest for grip. I used so score lines with a razor, but I broke too many while playing. Tortex .73's & Ultex .60's will last, but I lose the grip. I hold the Snarling dogs .73's better than Dunlop nylons. I also like the Planet Waves Medium (blue) celluloid with the rubber logo in the middle, but they're kinda pricey. I have a Cool .8 tortex (delrin) with a rubber grip that I like, but I can't seem to find 'em anywhere.

17. kspeed

kspeed Senior Member

I have a couple sets of Dunlop Ultex and Clayton Ultem on their way from MF in both normal and jazz/spike shapes. All sets are about ~.7mm.

I've never used either before as I'm a fan of nylon or Fender thin celluloid, but want something with more attack that doesn't get warm and fuzzy the way a thick/heavy celluloid or nylon does. Really looking forward to trying them at practice to see if they give me that edge I'm looking for.

Anybody make a similar switch from thin nylon/celluloid to medium Ultex/Ultem?

18. JNS

JNS Senior Member

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III's, though I've been really interested in Red Bear pics. Guthrie Govan and a lot of guys I know are raving about them, but there's no way I can justify $20 on a freakin pick.

19. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

The Ultex/Ultem picks are solid, durable picks. Based on my experience with the Dunlop's. It has less play than a nylon, especially a thin one. More "snap".

I think the .70? would be a big transition for you, too "Heavy" of a pic, but I guess you'll see. I'd recommend something around .50 . They're also the color of mucus, that may or may not bug you.

I have a couple of Clayton Acetal picks, and they're just a bit bigger than the usual Fender 351 shape & believe it or not, I can't use 'em. The best way to try new picks is to go to local stores & see what they have. Go through the baskets & li'l drawers & buy 1 or 2 of each one that you think might work for you.

20. Oce

Oce Member

I've used Dunlop Jazz III's like forever.. recently just switched to Ibanez Paul Gilbert signature picks. Threw away my Dunlops after that. The PG Ibanez's are thinner, slightly bigger and wider but pointed like the dunlops. For some reason I played so much better with the Ibanez's!