PICKS! What does everybody use?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by GuitarnLax36, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I think pick choice is a very personal matter, depending on style, guitar played, amp and effect settings, and other factors. Generally, I use Fender medium celluloid picks -- but I mod them by shortening the point and rounding it slightly, and drilling several holes in the grip surface to help my keep my grip with sweaty fingers. With these, I can strike the strings with the full side of the pick and achieve a nice pop or twang. Or I can angle them slightly and go mellow. I pick out the confetti color when I can find it, because they are colorful and easy to spot when I lose one. (I lose more pick than I break. Actually haven't broken a pick in 50 years.)

When I want "shred speed" I can use a rounded triangular "K Pick" which is made of plexiglass and is pretty thick and tapered at the striking points. They just glide over the strings, BUT make a slight clicking sound when they strike. So while they are useful to me, the use is limited.

2. ItsChrispyTv

ItsChrispyTv Member

i tried some dunlop tortex purple 1.14mm loved them and never gone back. They do wear out but not as fast as those ones

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

4. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

I never thought of drilling them, I score them with a razor about four times on each side for grip, but they'll sometimes split when I really dig in hard. What size bit do you use?

5. Dolebludger

I use a 7/64 bit. I drill three holes along a line across the pick centered at about 3/16" from the top. Then I drill a second line of four holes about 3"8" from the top. As the top of the pick is curved, so are the lines of the holes. To do this, I masking tape a pick to some scrap lumber, measure it out, and drill. For subsequent picks, I just tape them in the same manner and mark them for drilling using the holes in the first pick.

There is nothing magic about the size, number, or spacing of the holes, and individual preferences may vary. I've even seen some picks sold with a star shaped cut-out where it is held by finger and thumb. I can say that I have never had one of my picks break, however.

6. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

I think I have a bit about that size, plus a piece of 2 X 4 & tape, I'll try it. Thanks.

I tried those Everly Star picks. They're bacically a Tortex with the star cutout. Not a bad idea, but the cutout was a smidge too high & threw me off I couldn't use it.

7. Dolebludger

Picks for experimentation for holes and other methods of grip control can be pretty cheap. We've got a place in my town that sells picks for 5 cents each. They are not premium picks, of course, but they are good for experimenting around on for making grip surfaces. Using cheap picks, you can experiment around with hole size and placement -- and other methods as well. I know a guy who glues very thin cork sheeting pieces glued to the grip part of his picks. Another guy uses rubber pieces from "blown out" bicycle inner tubes to make gripping surfaces glued to his picks. Still another guy simply takes some single packaged alcohol soaked tissues with him, and wipes down his picks and finger and thumb when grip becomes a problem, What you do to solve a grip problem is limited only by your imagination.

8. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

It doesn't matter... if you found an old thread and resurrected it, those complaining about beating a dead horse would be bitching that you did that too. Especially Dennis :laugh2: