Pick up to string spacing

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by BanditPanda, Aug 8, 2017.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Hi
    I am swapping a set of SD Pearly Gates into my 2014 LP Studio and unlike the pair they are replacing they do not have pick up covers. They are the " Zebra " model.
    Is there a standard height guideline for the distance between the string and the poles on an LP.?
    Thanks.
    BP

2. BanditPanda

BUMP ????

3. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

4. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Gibson guidelines are too boomy for my taste, which does prove that it's a matter of personal preferences. Especially for the neck pickup, closer you are, less attack you have and the tone starts going into the muddy side. If you need more articulation, air on the tops and available headroom, you should have more clearance than typical Gibson values. At the opposite, if you aim for some crunchy bite and punch on basses, you can stay closer.

It also depends on the pickups, and the average tone you are targeting. The only "rule" it's to give the neck pups some more air to balance the two output, since the neck has way more bass/mid ranges which are flooding the signal.

Another general thing (not that drama btw), remember the closer you are to the strings, less sustain you have, because of the poles pulling effect.

Your eyes and your ears, are your best gauge.

5. BanditPanda

6. BanditPanda

Thank you Pier for the input. If I start messing around with pole heights as mentioned in the Gibson article I'll just end up fookin the whole thing up and never get'em back to where they originally were ex factory!!
    Your feedback is very important. As I'm installing Pearly Gates I guess I should ask The Rev
    what spacing he uses lol.
    BP.

PierM likes this.
  7. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

I got this several years ago. The "new" gibson specs are a little different.

"Pickup height adjustments are best made with volume knobs wide open. While adjusting the height, switch back and forth between pickups until their volumes are equal. Then back off the neck pickup a bit to boost the power of the bridge pickup (it has less output because it's located close to the end of the string length, where the string vibrates with less power). As a rule, you should get the readings listed in the charts when pressing the two E strings at the last fret and measuring from the string bottoms to the polepiece tops."

[​IMG]

" Pickups:
    • Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from
    underside of string to point on pickup closest to string.
    • Bridge pickup should be 3/64"
    • Neck pickup should be 4/32"
    • Fret high E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from
    underside of string to point on pickup closest to string.
    • Bridge pickup should be 3/32"
    • Neck pickup should be 3/32" "

http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/pickupmeasurements.html