pick guard holes

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by kevsem65, Apr 23, 2011.

1. kevsem65

kevsem65 Junior Member

i recently picked up a used korean epi lp in cherry burst to start modding a little bit, im throwing on the new slash pups tonepros bridge tusq nut and a few other things. my question is about the holes for the pick guard, i dont want to use it as i like the flamed top much better but how do i fill the holes? my girlfriend had some nail polishes that matched pretty well so i filled them with those, you cant see it from a few feet away but you can tell up close. so i was wondering whats the proper way to do this? thanks

2. Sirzach

Sirzach Senior Member

You put the screws back in..

Publius pro tem likes this.
  3. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Or do nothing.

You won't see the holes from far away any more than you'll see blobs of nail polish. ;)

Sirzach likes this.
  4. kevsem65

kevsem65 Junior Member

so .... thanks, any actual advice? im sure someone has done this before.

5. Sirzach

Sirzach Senior Member

Well, you could use toothpicks if the hole is still there and you want to fill it. Then you'd have to paint over it.

I mean, I don't know if toothpicks would work, but they do for strap buttons :thumb:

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Well, if you wanna take sawdust and glue and mix and fill, and then touch up with nail polish, have at it -- it's not a vintage guitar, after all.

Me, I like putting the screws back in, m'self. Less labor-intensive, and no one who cares really matters, while no one who matters really cares.

Akahito likes this.
  7. kevsem65

kevsem65 Junior Member

okay thats an idea. the polish matched the colors almost perfect but its still kinda indented its not a huge bother but i figured there had to be a "real" way of doing it

8. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

But will the toothpicks effect the tone?? That is the real question.

KPC1 likes this.
  9. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

I guess it depends on if they're a good tone wood toothpick or not... :D

Regards,

Don

porkster, KPC1 and GibsonLP182 like this.
  10. River

River Senior Member

Here's some actual advice: put the thing back on. If you actually play the guitar, those holes will be nothing compared to the holes your fingers will put in it.

But you won't, will you?

Akahito and RichBrew like this.
  11. TheEye

TheEye Junior Member

Why don't you just put the screws back in? That way you won't lose the screws if you ever change your mind to put the guard back on. I did that and it works great, hardly noticeable.
    :cheers:

Publius pro tem likes this.
  12. Reverend D

Reverend D Senior Member

Its probably finished in poly, you could fill the holes as mentioned above, but I'm not sure your going to be able to use the same finish to drop fill the holes like you could if it were Nitro lacquer. Depends on how bad its bothering you. If its like you can't stand it, then to fill you'd take a heat gun, strip off that finish fill the holes and refinish the top. Those as I see it are your options?

Regards,

D.

13. noahwayne

noahwayne Member

I would get a wax crayon or candle of a similar colour and force wax into the hole and then carefully buff over the top. The sheen of the wax will blend with the finish and you can pretty much disguise the hole - at least so its hardly noticable. Nail polish will look shabby in my opinion. If you decide to replace the pickguard the screw will go back into the slot no probs and there is no lasting damage to the instrument.

Actinic likes this.
  14. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

Hmm... Tone tapping toothpicks sounds like fun to me... :laugh2:

I agree that drop filling poly is not a great way to go. I either leave the screw in or out on the top and don't even bother with the one on the side, it stays out. They don't show onstage or when noodling in the basement either. :cool:

15. Mustard27

Mustard27 Senior Member

Put the screws and paint them with the nail polish. Job done.

16. Michael.L.

Michael.L. Senior Member

Hey man
    Just throw the thing in the bin and get a real les paul

just my 2 cents worth

Cheers, Mick from OZ!!!:cheers:

mrrazorblade227 likes this.
  17. onioner

onioner Senior Member

Do nothing. Job done.

18. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

+1

Don't understand why people going crazy becaues of tiny holes.

19. arvalera23

arvalera23 Junior Member

just put the screw back in ;)

20. peterp

peterp Senior Member

If the holes bother you, that feeling probably won't go away and it's worth trying to fix them. I think your best bet is to fill them with wood putty. Small tubes are available from Home Depot for about $3. Fill the hole with putty so that the putty slightly protrudes from the hole and then use something like a credit card angled onto the surface remove the excess and create a flush surface with the rest of the body. When it dries, it's as strong as wood and will be flush. Sometimes the putty shrinks a bit when it's dry, so if it looks a little concave, then you might need to do another layer of putty to get it truly flush. If there is any flame in that section of the body, you can very lightly streak some wood stain over the putty to get a similar grain.

After that, you can nail polish to color the putty (use a very light coat if you put stain in to simulate grain so you can see it through the color). Once that's completely dry, then top it with something like automative clear coat touch-up (though you definitely need to test to make sure it's compatible with nail polish) or just us clear nail polish as a second layer to get it close to matching the surrounding poly. I have not personally done this with pickguard holes, but I have used putty to fix a hole in a wood pickguard and you really can't see the repair. It should come out looking good if you take your time. The putty and coloring are very easy to get right, getting the clear right requires some careful work to look it's best.