Piano Mic Guitar Reverb!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, May 12, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

So I'm tracking electric guitar this morning.....my Les Paul through a DIY 6V6 amp cranked so that the output tubes are just starting to crunch.
    The amp was in my family room and it was LOUD! I had a close mic right on the grill and still in the first half of the soundclip you can easily hear the room....pine floors providing nice reflection.

BUT...

I had a mic in the baby grand upstairs, under the lid, close to the strings. I happened to record that mic as well on one of the guitar passes.....when I played it back I just about fell off my chair....what the ??!! The sound had this yuuuuuuge mojo!

Check it out....the first half of the clip is just the close amp mic, the second half includes the piano mic :cheers2:

https://app.box.com/s/hats2sje3qox24zyiqqfwi580mj3h5ge

2. yeti

yeti Senior Member

very cool, now take out all the strings out of the piano except the root and 5th of the song, put a brick on the sustain pedal and we got something here.:acoustic:

The_Nuge and Freddy G like this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I never did do it, but I had the idea when demoing of placing an acoustic guitar, tuned to the key of the song I was tracking, on a stand behind my half-stack, and inputting it into the board using a soundhole mag pickup. I reckoned it'd resonate through most of the song, and I could bring it in or take it out of the mix as mood required.

Seems similar to what you're talking about, so I thought I'd throw this in.

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Actually that's a great idea! I could mute all the unwanted string with strips of felt wedged in between them....I'm gonna try it!

And yeah Thump....that's what yeti was getting at. The recording I posted didn't have any of the strings ringing though.

Frogfur and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  5. LDS714

LDS714 Member

I've actually put a mic to the cone of a Dobro hanging on the wall while tracking guitar before. Interesting, although not usually useful. But when it works, it's awesome!

You got me thinking of tuning it to an open D chord, then capo to match the song's key. Hmmmmm....

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  6. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Very cool Freddy! Almost a quasi convolution reverb effect without the required math :)

7. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

sounds great, but try slicing the upstairs track a couple milliseconds aft of the main track. i'll bet that would sound cool.

Freddy G likes this.
  8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hehe...you're hip dmoss! 53 milliseconds to be exact. I did try different offsets but I posted the original for full effect!

9. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

I used to have just the harp attached to the soundboard of a piano, and I'd use it for the same thing - it sounds amazing! Its really creepy for loud vocals.

If you have a tuning key and lots of time you can even fine tune your "reverb pitch" ahead of time. the harp outside the piano was easier to excite in different ways as well, if you find a ruined donor around you.

You'll need felt folded over, it takes more than you think at first to mute those suckers.