Photobucket Sucks

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by w666, Sep 28, 2017.

1. w666

w666 Senior Member

By now you all know that Photobucket has changed their policy regarding third party hosting, and is demanding $400/year to keep these links up! Yesterday I went to collect my photos and go play elsewhere, only to discover that they have also disabled bulk download, effectively holding my pictures hostage (unless I choose to download them ONE AT A TIME!). I have ~ 1000 pictures there1

I discovered a Chrome browser extension that restores the bulk download, and with it I was able to recover my images in a matter of minutes!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ownloa/jmpbbfglflhdhbmimlcacoojpkeopelc?hl=en

Problem solved. Now I only hope that Karma is real!

Ayrton, jkes01, Frogfur and 2 others like this.
  2. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Great find w666! Although it doesn't help the literally thousands of now dead forum threads all over the internet, not to mention here. Shame because there are so many useful reference threads that just poof- went.

monkfish likes this.
  3. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Yeah, it's pretty sad... not only for my own threads, but who knows how many genuinely useful tutorials and ideas have been lost to this debacle. I wouldn't have had a problem with a more reasonable subscription cost, but $400/yr is just highway robbery.

archey and mux164 like this.
  4. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

It sucks BAD! I deleted my account after I retrieved all my photos.

Problem is everyone who is still linking there. I can't look at anything on the site
    due to the massive amount of adds and pop ups. The site is now useless.

5. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

One of the many reasons I have my own servers and a business internet account with static IP's.
    I host my own content and I'll never be at the mercy of those pricks...

archey, DarrellV, JMT Guitars and 2 others like this.
  6. Spotcheck Billy

Spotcheck Billy Senior Member

For us mere mortals unable or unwilling to host our own servers, what is the preferred alternative to photobucket?

7. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Cant speak for any of them, but I found this page listing what they consider the 12 best alternatives to photobucket.

http://www.topbestalternatives.com/photobucket/

This one seems to deal more with the 3rd party hosting aspect, which is probably more on point...

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/02/photobucket-alternatives-for-third-party/

8. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

The upload a photo feature on this site is pretty good, that's all I use for this now, then Facebook for Facebook and TDPRI for TDPRI. It's a shame the links won't work from site to site like it used to with the old TDPRI software

DarrellV likes this.
  9. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Imgur.

https://imgur.com/

It's a lot easier to use than other image hosting sites and it's never let me down.

filtersweep likes this.
  10. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Reddit would cease to exist if imgur ever pulled a photobucket.

PB could have chosen a more affordable path. Who would pay $400/year? I pay $20/year for unlimited backups at flickr.

11. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Just wait until Google locks all your Gmail emails unless you pay, in the same way Photobucket did people's photos.

Or Facebook locks you out of all non-commercial contact/accounts without a membership fee.

"Free" services are not. Eventually, every fisherman sets the hook.

If you can get some fee (or paid) hosting somewhere, Piwigo is a pretty excellent free photo gallery software that's easy, has a mobile app, and is extremely configurable. You just need a server to host the files.

12. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

Ahhh Facebook and Google have no need to do that. They already make enough money out of you by selling the frankly frighteningly vast quantities of data that you just hand over. Seriously. Use your rights under the DPA and ask Google for all the data they have on you- you won't sleep for weeks...

13. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I just wonder how many idiots actually decided to basically get "robbed" by them?

Glad I have backups of all of my pics.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    TheWGuitar likes this.
  14. TheWGuitar

TheWGuitar Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Boom goes the dynamite.

I would never rely on any of those services as the primary storage for anything. As long as there is such a thing as some sort of physical storage media that's available to the public, I will have it, and will have backups of everything. I dread the day when tech devices go 100% "cloud", and they are just internet connection devices with no actual information stored on them. You already have cloud storage for data, and you have service-based software that you have to pay a "subscription" for, instead of owning a physical copy. What's to stop all these companies from ganging up and making that your only choice? I can imagine a future involving buying a "laptop" (just a dummy terminal now), having to pay a subscription yearly for Windows, having to pay a subscription for any programs that I want to use (or else they'll stop working), having to pick a company to house all of my files and data for a nice yearly fee, and then be at their mercy when they pull a Photobucket, and jack their fees up 3x from one year to the next...because.

Yeah, sign me up. :laugh2: I'll take physical media, hard drives, and personal responsibility for $500, Alex.

But to get back to what relates to the OP, It's definitely best to not put yourself in a position to get "photobucket-ed". I only used mine for uploading MLP pics, thank God.

w666 and rockstar232007 like this.
  15. Spotcheck Billy

Spotcheck Billy Senior Member

It is this mindset that has allowed Linux to find its way onto so many computers. Free forever.

16. w666

w666 Senior Member

Well that's the point, isn't it? I only started with photobucket so I could post here at MLP. Even though I have recovered my images (I do have them stored on my own drives too...somewhere), I don't know that I'll ever take the time to repair the broken threads here.

Regardless, Photobucket are still jerks, just like the company with the $600 EPI pen. I can imagine a future where stuff that was once freely available on the net is no longer...it's called 1984!

Spotcheck Billy and TheWGuitar like this.
  17. caci

caci Junior Member

Thanks - cat’s ass! No mo’ Photobucket, got all my pics back!

18. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

Imgur

And I NEVER store any original images out there, ESP pb.

19. judson

judson Senior Member

someone educate me....i always have all my photos loaded in my computer in a file. when i want to post one, use one, send one, i just get it out of my own computer.

every year or so i download the most recents to a thumbdrive and keep the thumbdrive plugged into a spare USB port so I always have access whenever I want and my hardrive has more room for the next batch....may buy an external hard drive in the future also.

even for free, i never have or want any of my photos "in the cloud" out of my control, why do people do this of all things with personal property ??? :dunno:

JMT Guitars likes this.