Phaez V2-cutter

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by V2, May 15, 2013.

1. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Hey All,

A while ago I built a 10-watt Daisycutter from Randy's excellent kit. It started to evolve a bit with a few tweaks here and there, until I reached a point where I wanted to rebuild it. The new amp sounds like the original DC10 (as far as I can remember; I must compare to blues.juniors DC10 in the future) but sports a totally custom eyelet board that I designed and built. Since I can't claim that it is a Daisycutter at this point, I am going to refer to it as the V2-cutter.

I must go back to do some testing and tweaking, but so far I am very happy with the outcome.

Here is the new board in the beginning:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

And here is the board after drilling and pounding in some eyelets.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Nice one. :thumb:

What did you change about the DC? I know you did a triode switch and power scaling, did you redesign the circuit too? :hmm:

4. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member

Looks great. What did you use for board material?

There's something fun and gratifying about building eyelet boards.

5. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

So far I kept it pretty 'stock' actually. The pentode-triode switch is still there, and so the power supply has been modded to accommodate that. I took out the Fender-style standby switch, but I still might add an alternative standby or front-panel mute toggle. The existing standby switch position has been used as a signal-ground lift.

Yes, it was fun to design and build. But now I have a problem: I cannot use stock stuff anymore...

This board is 1/16" glass epoxy. I have thicker material as well, but I wanted to use the thinner stuff on my first build. And other than being brown, it worked out very well.

6. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

A few parts fitted into the eyelet board. The yellow caps were from the original DC10.

[​IMG]

And a few more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  7. Soul Tramp

Just a tip.... Keep the resistors elevated so they don't touch the board. This helps with heat dissipation which reduces hiss.

1 person likes this.
  8. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Thanks Don. The power resistors are elevated. The others are not, but most of those are 2-watt metal film.

9. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Here's the new board dropped into the DC10 chassis

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Soul Tramp

That look like a Watts' chassis. Is Randy now using a high quality chassis or did you provide the blank.

11. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

The DC10 kit came with this chassis. I think Randy uses smaller chassis for the most part now, and I'd actually like to use a larger one. So I'll purchase them from Watts in the future.

12. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Here it is wired up for initial testing. All grounds lead to what used to be a standby switch. The pentode-triode switch on the left was set on pentode at this point because I still needed to add some filtering up front.

Something essential was missing, however. Can anyone spot it?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. indigochild

indigochild Senior Member

A cover?

I'll quit bein' a smart ass. I have no idea, but do tell! :hmm:

14. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

I forgot to install a grid leak resistor for the output tube. Lucky I caught that one before I fried something :)

15. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

A couple of updates on the V2cutter:

- I added some extra filtering in the power supply. In the photo below, the extra filtering is done by a capacitance multiplier mounted to the back panel. There are two immediate benefits: (1) no more single-end hum. Gone. I've also elevated the heater AC by 80 Vdc, so the heater hum is all but gone too. This amp is quiet as hell. (2) With a much cleaner DC power supply, I'm able to switch to triode mode for a very noticeable drop in volume, a tighter bass, and a darker overall tone. I had the MV up to noon and the gain up to 10 o'clock and it's not loud in triode.

[​IMG]

I also tweaked the circuit for a fantastic blackface tone. Gain at 10 o'clock, MV at noon, TMB all at noon. Strat style guitar with single coils. Great, powerful cleans. I must make this setting available on the front panel. It's like having a Corona and a Daisycutter in a single channel!

4 people like this.
  16. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

That's awesome V2. I want to hear what that sounds like. I wish I had a triode switch on my JTM 10w. Mine is not that loud with gain and volume at noon. I mean loud but not overbearing. It would be nice to have triode to crank it a bit higher even and achieve a darker tone as well. Nice work! A corona and DC, that's pretty versatile.

17. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Thanks. I think it will be very versatile once I add a front panel toggle.

Many people will point out that triode mode reduces volume by 'only' 3dB. I'll point out that a 3-dB cut corresponds to cutting the signal in half. It is VERY noticeable.

Having said that, I still don't believe it is only 3B less. I must bring home my dB meter to test...

I'll also make some sound clips after I have settled on a final design. My inability to record a good clip is on par with my lack-luster playing, so be prepared. Maybe I should fly out Rosco?

18. George Jetson

George Jetson Senior Member

Whatever happened to:

[​IMG]

19. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

The Denogginizer is still here - I haven't been able to part with it!

20. ant_riv

ant_riv Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the story of the progression.

I'm looking forward to hearing clips!

I love my JTM18+. I don't have any more amp GAS ever since getting it, but I would like to try another 'flavor'. A 'Fender-based' Phaez will probably be next.

1 person likes this.