Phaez Question

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Penny Dreadful, Jun 11, 2012.

1. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Two channel amp. First channe; being a Dumble Clean (Kind of like the blackface, but at little less top end shine. More mid range. Second channel is a HRM Dumble Overdrive. Also it's equipped with a mod switch on the treble knob to bump up the gain into marshall territory.

Very good clean sounding amp. I sold it to G Man about a month ago. Kind of miss it, but I found myself more of a gainy slo type guy.

2. Bob1

Bob1 Senior Member

By the way, where did you get the logo?
    I would love one in that font for my head cab.

3. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

got mine from phaez

4. Bob1

Bob1 Senior Member

Thanks man, I'm finished with my headcab and now looking to order one.

:thumb::dude:

5. onioner

onioner Senior Member

yup. I'm hooked. i have six. like randy, he's selling exactly what i want to buy, and at a great value.

2 people like this.
  6. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Rosco is 100% correct, direct from Randy.

Check out V2's logos too, they're pretty awesome, I'll be sticking one on my SIBLY Jr when I pick it up as soon as I get back from Bangkok. :dude:

1 person likes this.
  7. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

i have 1 of his head cabs

8. bsruther

bsruther Senior Member

I've got a decent chunk of gear money that's burnin' a hole in my pocket and I'm seriously considering a second Phaez. I'm having a difficult time deciding which one though. I'd like something with more marshall type gain than the Jericho but more headroom as well. Any suggestions?

I like the amount of gain I've heard on the DC14 demos, but not sure about the amount of headroom.

9. tinman402

tinman402 Senior Member

Man all these ugly amps in this thread... :)

I have to get me a ugly amp... Just got to have one... The ugliest woman I ever met could sing her ass off... Behind a curtain you would expect Carrie Underwood, then the curtain comes up and BAM Rosie O'Donnell... I need a amp that performs like that.. A Sleeper...

10. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk]Jimmy Soul - If You Want To Be Happy - YouTube[/ame]

11. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

The DC circuit is a bit different than a marshall. I would have thought that the Jericho would nail the marshall vibe. What type of marshall gain are you going for? In other words, what marshall amp?

12. bsruther

bsruther Senior Member

It does Marshall very well. I wouldn't mind having something like it with a little more gain on tap. Maybe the answer would be to get something lower wattage, like SIBLY 7. The Jericho gets to where I like it when the gain and MV are around noonish, but man, it's way to loud to be playing it that way all the time.

13. Ferosferio

Ferosferio Senior Member

Maybe a Jericho with an attenuator? I have the 18 watt Jackal and I sometimes use it with my Swart Nite Lite. Has 6 attenuation settings and does a decent job maintaining tone on the first 4 lowest settings. The highest 2 settings make the amp quite quiet but suck tone to some extent. Overall it's a good product. Rob

14. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

I vote for another amp over the attenuator. A attenuator or a Sibly or DC? NO brainer for me. For more gain those are what I recommend. Whatever you choose make sure it has a master volume and you won't have to worry about volume.

15. bsruther

bsruther Senior Member

Yeah, I was never big on the attenuator thing. I think I'm just looking for a reason to get another Phaez. Thing is, now that I've got one, I can take my time deciding which one to get. I really like the idea of two amps in one, like the duophonic, especially if it was footswitchable, from one amp to the other. Can he do that?

1 person likes this.
  16. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

On the Winona he offers "1 input and footswitchable channel switching". My guess is he can do it on the Duophonic. You'd have to ask him to be sure though.

I've heard of other members using an ABY pedal. From what I read it was awesome because you also have the option of running both channels together. This may involve more speakers so find out first!

17. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

How about an OD or a Distortion pedal?

18. onioner

onioner Senior Member

Not as standard. You only have one speaker out, and one power section, so you can't run one side to one speaker, and the other to a different speaker. Still a very cool thing, but not like what the Rude Mood does (different speakers for the different channels). I think the Lightningcutter can do something like that though, where each channel has it's own power section and speaker out.

But, yeah, an ABY would be my method of choice. I think Randy can do a footswitch channel changer, but it accomplishes the same thing, except you can't have both at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

many amp builders seem to think the name alone carries weight... and that you should pay a premium for the bragging rights of having one in your house...

from what I've seen/heard of the phaez amps here though.... the guy seems much more well grounded... I think he set out to make an amp he himself would be proud to own, even if it's not some fancy boutique nameplate... and he doesn't want to bend you over on the price of a custom amp... he COULD! based on the sounds he could charge double, easily... esp if he put it in a basic, but not fancy cabinet... maybe triple... strange thing is... some people who turn their nose up at the amps might start looking at them if they did cost more... and that's just stupid.

it's a nice handwired amp built to your specs at a price that is competitive with mass produced-in-china amps....

imo the hardest part in buying this amp is that you can't play one and see if you like it... you have to have a little faith. but you can'[t go to many guitar centers and play any boutique amp there either... maybe think of them as discount boutique...

20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

on the ABY switch, it might be set up like old fenders where the "Y" is a jumpered channel, not really running both but kinda