Phaez Question

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Penny Dreadful, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ANEAS

ANEAS Senior Member

Ok well said let SHITSLINGER have his way

2. onioner

onioner Senior Member

Indeed. For the most part I think this thread is constructive. The question is a good one.

Just sayin', this has been about the most reasonable Phaez thread in a while. The point is good: if you want a big fancy looking cabinet, and you don't want to source everything separately, don't get a Phaez. Seriously. Just the wrong amp for you. There's nothin' wrong with that.

He does a bunch. Seems to me there's a bit of a 'Wreck in everything he does. He does fairly straightforward straight up 'Wrecks too, though I know he does like his tweaks. I think it's fair to say that TW like builds are a strength of his, even though it's other amp types that have been more popular.

That is the Corona. It has a few cabs of it's own, and shares that Blue Dog / Silver Bell too. I'll take pics this coming week. I still need to do new head cabs for both the Corona and Orion (which are gonna be awesome), but I'm fairly pleased with the speaker cabs. I only got into this stuff a year or so ago. I'm learning as I go. Eventually I'll start doin' them in nice hardwood, though not until I'm damn sure I know what I'm doing. That stuff is crazy expensive.

And incidentally, that one above is the one I'm refinishing. Doesn't look so bad in that pic, but the way it's wearing is awful. It's mostly sat in my room, yet already has some bad fading, and the scratches and such look the pits. This was the first I did. Rest assured though, the grill cloth stays, and it's gonna be a nice light and simple stain.

1 person likes this.
  3. middy

middy Senior Member

When someone makes a misrepresentation after someone asks a question regarding any amp it should be addressed. You seem like a decent guy but what I do doesn't really concern you. I'm assuming I'm part of y'all.

The foolish statement about gigging without a head cab then following it up saying how much it may cost without addressing the overall cost of head cab and amp. That's not helpful to the original poster. Jim builds straight up excellent cabs for $180.

Sharpies? I'm pretty sure with Phaez you can get any color, font maybe even name you'd like within reason currently. It's actually the opposite of what he's depicting barring you don't pick/design something for yourself YOU don't like. My 2009 phaez didn't even have a sharpie rear panel.

There isn't much fact in his post with regard to what's out there on the Phaez website. But then he did state he really hasn't looked into them that deeply. Which makes you wonder why someone would offer such strong opinions. Using the word hack and saying he'd be embarrased to "show" one without proper knowledge and research warrants a response.

To the OP deepblue: Phaez offers the buyer some wonderful customizations on some amazing circuits that simply aren't available from most amp builders period. He's added tubes for more gain at request as well as other stuff. I had an extra power amp added to one of mine to make it stereo like a mesa 20/20 . He has circuits with his own trademark sound like the Daisycutter and others that offer fantastic tone. Others above have commented on how he keeps cost down with such tone machines. Rest assured it is not by using a sharpie. If anything he goes beyond the call of duty to customize a look. I can't speak of how long the customizations will go on. How could I know. But right now it is a huge bang for your buck.

Haven't been out here at MLP that long but it really is amazing the trolls that rear their heads at the mention of Phaez. The irony is that the Phaez crowd out here are classy people who are generally decent in non Phaez threads.

4 people like this.
  4. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling lol Premium Member V.I.P. Member

i consider myself beyond lucky to own my DC 14.... this is coming from a guy who owned budget amps his entire musical life.

the first time i plugged in and hit a power chord, the chemistry in my brain changed. i haven't been the same since lol.

4 people like this.
  5. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

For the most part that is true. Sometimes we've gotten a bit testy as well, so it isn't just one way. One thing to remember is that it is hard to argue with a good sounding Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Soldano, etc. either. Might not be your cup of tea, but they sell a lot of amps for a reason.

The funny thing is that I hear just as much passion for the Rude Mood amp River loves so much as I do for Phaez - and rightfully so. It is a great amp and value, much like what we are saying about the Phaez. Randy's philosophy is different, but both offer amps that have a passionate following.

However, due to the number of Phaez owners on this site, it can get overwhelming to see so many threads about an amp so few have heard of or know anything about outside of this forum. At least when you talk Marshall or Fender, everyone who plays guitar can relate. I don't see that changing as long as Randy is making great amps for a reasonable price, so there will always be detractors.

I respect River and his opinions. I just don't happen to agree with him on Phaez. I don't know if he tried one and hated it, or if he just gets tired of so many people going on and on about the amps (I suspect the latter.) Either way, we disagree. I think this forum is about discussing what we have a passion about, either for or against. As long as it stays civil, there's nothing wrong with a little banter back and forth. As Rich once said, it makes the world go around.

Hopefully the OP got his questions answered. A Phaez can be a great amp, and if it meets his expectations maybe we helped him understand these amps better. If it doesn't, then he also benefits from not making a wrong choice. In the end, that's why we ask these questions.

Oh, and for the record, lately I've been playing my 1W Marshall amps more than the Phaez as they were more what I was looking for. Lest we forget, other companies make some great amps too.

David

1 person likes this.
  6. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

Indeed, my question was answered. I was always told, as I feel most of us have that if something sounds too good to be true then it usually is..That theory was proven wrong.

In the case of Phaez I think Randy makes world class amplifiers at a remarkable price.
    I have gone to Youtube and heard the clips and I understand why so many of you lads have choosen these amps.

On the downside, I hope Randy doesn't raise the prices now after reading this! :D

3 people like this.
  7. coldengray

coldengray V.I.P. Member

Here's my setup:

- Headcab by Jim (inspired by DrakeZero's BlackDaisy)
    - 1x12 by Sourmash (soon to be replaced by a 2061 style 2x12)

Both of them do excellent work!

Eventually I'd like to replace the plexi with a logo'd one from V2.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ANEAS

ANEAS Senior Member

Gray V2 John's plexi would look great in your amp it would be a easy replace...JIM

9. coldengray

coldengray V.I.P. Member

Agreed, Jim. I'm a little tight on guitar related funds at the moment...I dove into a 5F1 build last month.

10. alexb17

alexb17 MLP Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  11. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

dave i agree . but you know. i have no use or desire to discuss epiphone guitars.
    so what do i do.
    i don't go there.
    there is an overwhelming ammount of threads on epis.

5 people like this.
  12. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

Alex, WOW! Those gator cabs are insane. I love em!!

1 person likes this.
  13. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

and on a totaly unrelated reply to this thread to add a little humor
    here's my new wood/ screen door to our screen room

i like it, a couple of coats of marine varnish and it's good for 10 years

but, then again i do like phaez amps. so of course my opinion is null and void

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
    2 people like this.
  14. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

TRM is he not a N.H. boy?

1 person likes this.
  15. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  16. Ferosferio

Ferosferio Senior Member

I am a proud owner of a new Jackal. Randy was awesome to deal with. He made me a killer head cab in PIMPILICIOUS white (Randy put a photo of it in another thread). The amp is simply stellar. Just freakin killer. I actually want to order another as soon as I can scrape together the bread. Right at this moment I think Phaez amps are kind of a secret gem in the amp world. Gotta thank you guys from MLP for steering me in that direction.

5 people like this.
  17. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

This statement nails it.

2 people like this.
  18. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Senior Member

What is that HRM Daze?

19. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

gman has it now and there is a quick video of it being played a few pages back
    nice amp

20. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member