Phaez Question

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Penny Dreadful, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here at all.

I was looking at the Phaez web-site. Fantastic amps at reasonable prices.
    In fact, I think low to be honest.

How do they do it??
    Why can they sell those amps for so cheap compared to other boutique amp makers?

1 person likes this.
  2. axslinger

axslinger Senior Member

I haven't looked very closely but from what I saw, many of their prices are for an amp chassis with exposed tubes, etc. Something I wouldn't try to gig with. A quality Marshall-style head cab will set you back another $2-$300. You could get them cheaper but then they wouldn't necessarily be in the same class as a real booteek amp with a cheap, junk cabinet. They don't silk screen the back. Some are labelled with a Sharpie or other second-rate method, (I don't consider that boutique, I consider it a cheezy, home-built hack). Honestly, I would be embarrassed to show that amp around. And for the Phaez corksniffers who say it's the sound that counts, sorry but there's more to it than sound. Sound is only one component of a quality-built amp and to me, labeling shit with a Sharpie is just plain cheezy.

1 person likes this.
  3. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

i don't know
    i can only tell you this
    i'm glad i've got my 5 before they are not inexpensive.

my friend was buying a DR Z MONZA
    not now
    he's having a custom amp built , and buying a sibly 7 both with head cabs and he's still got money left over.

don't be fooled.
    they are not the best amps on the planet. they don't claim to be.

but for the cost vs tone and quality buuild. they can't be touched

i own 18 amps. stupid ?
    yes!

only 5 are phaEZ

so although alot of the haters think i'm a phaez blowboy, i'm not
    i just believe i know the good stuff

and right now, if someone can give me more of what i want for less . call me
    i'm all ears
    until then
    i'm going to stick with phaez.

i got a few more in me

12 people like this.
  4. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Here's my opinion (just an opinion):

Randy selects his components carefully. If a more expensive part doesn't sound better, then he probably won't use it. There are fast metalized poly caps in the DC10 power supply. Much, much better than an electrolytic cap, but these particular fast poly caps aren't from an expensive brand (e.g., solen). They are much more reasonably priced.

Also, I am guessing that there is very little mark up on the Phaez amps. I have been pricing out parts, and I really can't make an amp for much cheaper than the DC10 kit. The prices for other boutique amps are much higher than the cost of materials. Probably 50% of the cost is for the labor, design, etc. (i.e., not for materials). And finally, there are fewer bells and whistles on a Phaez. Other boutique amps come with costly amp badges, cabs, etc. Randy doesn't deal with those things (but you can get a badge from me :)).

6 people like this.
  5. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

why thank you for the detailed and fact filled little "shitslinger " rant
    again, you've added so much to the convesation.

who said boutique?
    you did .
    duh

you just can't resist sticking your 2 cents into threads about amps you don't own.

are you trying to get the "ASSHOLE OF THE YEAR AWARD " or something.

"there is more to it than sound"????????????

no there isn't

i just read you gear list.
    i can see why you would say that.

bufbills, Deftone, ANEAS and 4 others like this.
  6. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

The Phaez amps don't compete with many other boutique amps in terms of the overall "fit and finish" (cab, back faceplate, etc.). But search for a nice white cab that Alex Burnham posted. The fit and finish of that cab was exceptional. It has a reasonably nice etched plexi panel in an oval cutout. The logo on the panel is ok, although it was probably designed by a half wit. People on that phaez thread seemed to think that amp looked alright. But one of those guys was probably named Rosco.

3 people like this.
  7. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

ya that dude is such a phaez lover.

don't believe a word that guy says.
    he must get his amps for free or something.

3 people like this.
  8. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

bro
    your down the street from phaez:thumb:

get your ass over there and get some:naughty:

you can thank me later:applause:

2 people like this.
  9. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

In all fairness I believe there is an aesthetic quality to an amplifier. Some are well thought out, others are not. It's the total package that counts. Sound first of course, but a pretty package with well thought out dial and switch placement helps too.

I know they are here in Ontario, but where?

10. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

i agree
    who wants a shitty looking amp

some great looking phaez amps out there
    looking great when they are all done.

11. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

email mr randy fay

he's member phaezamp

i'm sure thats all you need to proceed

12. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

Have a Phaez and a smile and STFU.

1 person likes this.
  13. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

That dude used to claim to have only 2 phaez amps, but now it's up the 5. Weird.

14. Bob1

Bob1 Senior Member

Firstly, one of the higher priced models are sold with the headcab. Not selling the others with the headcab allows for more customization, a foundational concept of Phaez, considering Randy does entirely custom work or does customizations to his regular line.
    Also considering that Randy may not be suited to the cab building aspect, not providing it with a cab allows the user to get one to their cosmetic taste down to every last detail.
    Why not simply outsource head cabs that Randy has arranged, you might ask? Prices will go up as well as the same with customization. For Randy to act as a middleman between the headcab builder and the customer is excess work to him, whereas the buyer can contact the builder direct with his specs. This is clear since there are builders, (Aneas---- I think? and Burnham) who seem to do a lot of work for Phaez cabs.

Secondly, with the silkscreening and sharpie to the back; my Phaez has a properly done faceplate, with only the date that the amp was built and Randy's sig in the back.
    Considering that Randy is a relatively small time builder, why bother with silk screening for the while? I don't believe that people like Marshall and Fender started with the best materials and best, most cosmetically appealing methods and designs in the beginning. I don't know how long Randy has been doing this, so I won't comment, but its quite obvious that initially the methods used would be the most financially efficient, rather than elegant. This is obvious by Randy's use of the wooden blocks in the early chassis compared to those today.

Also
    PRS...handsigned back of the headstock....damn embarrassing, cheezy, homebuilt piece of sh*t.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. chef

chef Senior Member

Not all amps have pretty silkscreened labels, this was apparently ok for Ken Fischer

If you want a "brand name" amp, buy one, if you want something unique and custom, buy one. I have a couple of brand namers, and maybe a Phaez in my future.

From what I've seen (and soundcips I've heard), Randy has a good design, efficient builds, minimal packaging other than the chassis, and also is not spending money on dealers and ads in glossy magazines, which go into the cost of the amp. In other words, when you don't pay for those things, you have the possibility of getting an amp that over delivers for the price.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

oh man
    amps with that kind of labeling are so bad.
    That stuff sucks all the tone out before it can reach your speaker
    i'd be so embarassed to gig with an amp with labels like that.

I'm way more concerned with what people think my gear looks like than the tone.

4 people like this.
  17. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

When I sell my DC10 in the very near future, I'm gonna ask MORE for what I paid for the kit. In fact, I will ask more than Mr. Fay charges for his fully assembled DC10s. Why? How can I justify this absurd price? Because I added expensive parts that do some pretty killer things to this amp, paid to have a costly cast acrylic panel etched with a custom logo designed by some over-charging d-bag. This ain't gonna be Rosco's #6 unless he loosens up those purse strings.

18. Ed B

Ed B Senior Member

From what I've seen it's parts multiplied by production time.

The fact that's it's only chassis is a big reason. Randy makes no bones about it. He isn't trying to dupe anyone.

And he would NOT recommend gigging without a chassis. :lol: It's funny how low some stoop. Pathetic really.

This cab was right around $200 shipp'd. Made to MARSHALL specs by Sourmash. Not sure I'd take ANY advice from axslinger.

[​IMG]

Aesthetics are important to me too. You're only limited by your imagine.

6 people like this.
  19. redking

redking Senior Member

bottom line is, he doesn't charge enough and probably doesn't make much on each amp.....particularly the one-off custom builds where he has to put a bunch of time into working on the circuit design...

4 people like this.
  20. technomancer

technomancer Senior Member

Not sure how Randy does it to be honest. Even given they're only a chassis his prices are amazing. And the tone is there. I've owned a LOT of amps and Randy's work hangs with the other things I've owned including Marshalls (including modded by Fortin and Friedman), Suhr (PT100), VHT (CLX), Bogner (Ubershcall), etc etc etc. I LOVE the JTM18 I have, it perfectly nails the tones I bought it for.

Not sure why somebody is upset about a non-silk screened backplate, I've had amps by Fortin (custom modded Marshall JCM800), Bogner (custom one-off Bogner done by Mark Cammeron when he worked for Bogner), and Friedman (again modded Marshall) that all had similar labeling done to them. Guess guys like Steve Stevens, Slash, Doug Aldrich, and George Lynch should all be ashamed of their custom rigs that have stuff done with a labeler :laugh2: (the back of my JTM18 is done with a labeler not hand-written)

I'm also 99% sure that is you wanted a screened backplate to match the front of an amp Randy would probably make you one

4 people like this.