Phaez Amps [merged]

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LPV, Jun 27, 2009.

Phaez sub forum? Yes or no?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Probably pretty similar.

It's easier to drive the snot out of an EL84, so it can sound more aggressive. Personally I like the JJ 6V6S.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

OK, somebody with Phaez experience want to weigh in on how this sounds?

Concept: Plexi/Dumble home amp
    Channels: M87X and Daisy Cutter, each with lo+hi inputs
    12 watts, with power scaling down to >1 watt
    Power section: 1XEl34 (can also take a 6V6 or 6L6, auto biasing)
    Tube-driven FX loop

Anything else worthy of inclusion? Like I said, it'll be a home amp. I also already have my Fender bases covered.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    musicmaniac and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

COOL idea

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  4. Pleximan

Pleximan Premium Member

Yes, it's easier to drive EL-84 tubes in to saturation. The EL-84 really doesn't like it much. My Phaez McClane eats EL-84 tubes for lunch. They usually need replaced after about two months for me. The amp is used in a full band situation though. The 6V6 tubes would definitely last longer and give you that glassy, rounded slash tone. You can tell on AFD he's not using EL-34's in the amp. It's very smooth, glassy, and round. Aggressive in the bass register, a characteristic of 6550's. 6V6 tubes IMO would be closer to that or closer to a 6L6 even. The circuit really matters in this case. Old Marshalls need EL-34's; new inspired by amps can be built around any power tube and still sound like the intended amp. My Demeter TGA 2 inverter cops a very close to Fender clean with EL-34's or 5881 tubes. Or a full bore Marshall overdrive with the same said tubes.

5. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

He also used Alnico II pickups, which give an extra glassy sound (as on 'under the bridge' by the Red Hot Chili Peppers). You can get smooth tones out of EL34s with those pups....

bufbills likes this.
  6. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the M87X but the Daisy Cutter isn't going to give you anything close to a plexi or dumble sound, unless you're after a SUPER saturated plexi tone. He has/had a dumble inspired circuit.

7. Duane_the_tub

I might have the name wrong then. It's whatever he calls his Dumble OD circuit.

8. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

HRM possibly? Either way, it sounds like a great amp. I think it would end up leaning more towards the plexi with the el34 and more dumble-ish with a 6l6

9. Duane_the_tub

Upon further review, seems like the Dumble circuit would be much more functional as a standalone amp. I instead went with a Plexi for the clean channel and the Daisycutter - the circuit that put Randy on the map - for the OD channel. 12 watts with power scaling, power section swappable between EL34 and 6V6/6L6, hi-lo inputs and a loop.

Build is underway - stay tuned!

jay1williams, rclausen and Pleximan like this.