Phaez Amps [merged]

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LPV, Jun 27, 2009.

Phaez sub forum? Yes or no?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

I did a quick tube roll in my daisycutter - this amp still blows me away

bulletproof likes this.
  2. atop

atop Senior Member

Haven't checked in on MLP for a while...

Jim, I am highly offended by your post. You have the facts wrong, and state them in such way that directly accuse me of wrongdoing, dishonesty and place the blame for an 18+ month wait on a build squarely on me. On Dec. 14th, you posted "...as for me and my involvement here in the past it has been great ,I only build cabs for Randy and have no involvement with his business other than make cabs....."

Yet you call me out as "just a complainer who wants freebies..." You directly contradict your statement that you have "..no involvement in his business..." by claiming to have close factual knowledge and details of the transaction and payment history, have first hand knowledge via speaking to Randy about my build, and even have knowledge of my email questions posed to Randy during the build, stating they confused him. You state as fact that I "screwed up his build on PayPal payment, ...Randy gave him a preamp for all of his trouble." You claim I am "badmouthing" Randy. G Man (and others?) have concluded from your post that I am a "grump" and a "hater."

Sorry, Jim. Time to set the record straight. You are wrong, you know it, and you are deceiving people to harm my reputation as a member here. That's where the offense lies. I do business here with other MLP members, my reputation therefore matters greatly to me.

Re read my original post referenced below. I was confirming what other respected members here have also reported concerning obscenely long build times and poor communication with Randy. In this case, Matty chimed in with an identical experience. I'm sorry you don't like the truth, but truth it is.

Is Matty "just a complainer who wants freebies" as well? Did he "badmouth" Randy by telling the truth, and should he be labeled a "Phaez Hater" as well? His wait was even longer than mine. Apparently, I'm in good company.

I, like John (V2,) have great respect for Randy's amps, I have quite a large collection of them, at least half of which have your signature on the cabs. During the 18 month wait on my build, you and I exchanged PM's, and that's when you offered to contact Randy on my behalf. I was grateful. You reported to me Randy was experiencing a crisis with his roof, it needed replacing, and that was the reason for the delay. You never accused me of these things at the time, or since. You were helping out with communication, which I appreciated (thanks again!) Why you choose to call me out as the party at fault for an 18+ month build wait, then falsely accuse me of "being just a complainer who wants freebies," I will never understand. Maybe you were having a bad day.

FYI on the pre amp...I never asked for nor did I ever receive any "freebie" from Randy. HE was embarrassed and apologetic about the delay, HE offered the pre amp to me, at cost plus shipping, duties, etc. to help smooth things out. Nowhere near free, I can assure you. He apologized, I accepted his apology, and we all have moved on...or so I thought until reading your post.

Randy and I have worked it out between ourselves, and are fine, thank you. All I did was report the truth and facts concerning my build, with my frustration and disappointment attached. No judgement or blame, no attacks on Randy's character or amps. It is not at all helpful to create conflict and attack my reputation here, when no reason for you to do so exists.

I echo all the praise of the positive qualities (sound) and value of these amps! There's not one that I don't love. Only complaint was my experience when I decided to have Randy build me one. I told the truth about my experience. Matty confirmed a similar experience.

In the end, what will I do when I am jonesing for a Phaez model next time? (And I will!) Buy an existing one used, and have my local tech install whatever mods I may need.

Phaez is dead. Long live Phaez!

Original post Jim is referring to: Contained in Matty's post in this combined thread on Nov 26, 2016, #17130

3. ANEAS

ANEAS Senior Member

4. ANEAS

ANEAS Senior Member

atop except my apology for any remarks i have made on your build on Phaez ...some of the information was due to Randy having problems with Paypal he was telling me about....this is where my reference to the problem must have put me confused as to your problems dealing with Randy I don't want my statements or yours to be a problem with MLP ....the MLP members have shown great results dealing with Randy ,hoping it will continue . As for me I have had a lot of good replies on my time spent on this forum. My time being here is limited and only check in not much or very rare ...I still do Randy's cabs when he needs one.....as for my putting forth statements regarding Phaez there won't happen no more . I am reaching my 80 th. birthday and my building is coming near the end....I stil do custom Speakers and cab repairs for local people My time here on MLP has been a lot of great interaction with members ..Wishing all a great day and especially ATOP on his reply on my mistaken remarks I have made......JAMES ANEAS PEACH

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  5. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

On a separate note,

I was a little dissapointed in my EL34 Power Train until...last week I changed the tubes to a brand that I like. Now it's a firebreather.

A tube change on an amp will practically change it into a different amp.

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  6. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes it will....:dude:

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  7. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

IMG_20170818_223320_951.jpg
    Was jamming with my Phaez Power Train tonight, it inspired some evil riffs.

8. jiveturkey1

jiveturkey1 Senior Member

Unfortunately for me I'm selling the SIBLY in my avatar in the classifieds. Hope it goes to a good home. Title starts "Selling some stuff..."
    :wave:

9. freebird2

freebird2 Senior Member

10. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Senior Member

Dropped some simple Greenbacks into my 2X12, fired up the Phaez SIBLY and just smiled for about an hour and a half. I hadn't played the SIBLY for months but decided to break it out again. Man, three years later and I still love this amp. So simple but so good! The Greenbacks just make it a complete package.

Pleximan, bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It's funny how few people realize that greenbacks are THEE sound of rock. Vintage 30's are not.

12. Pleximan

Pleximan Premium Member

I also liked Celestion G12h 30s with my Phaez McClane.

MissoulaGriz likes this.
  13. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I'm going on record... I don't get the love for V30s... maybe at full volume with a band they are great... for the rest of us, they are shrill and thin.

mdubya likes this.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I don't have a problem with people liking them. They should be called modern toned 60 watt, not Vintage 30, though. :laugh2:

Rhust likes this.
  15. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

V30 are best paired with either a G12H30 or a Greenback imo...or they need to be played at full volume after 200 hours of break in time lol

Rhust and sean413 like this.
  16. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Senior Member

Yup, gotta love the Greenbacks. I took them out of a AC15C2 that I was putting alnicos into and figured, "what the heck" and dropped them in the 2X12. Dang, sometimes going back to the "basics" of rock n roll is exactly where a guy need to be find some killer tone.

mdubya and Rhust like this.
  17. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

This :thumb: Scumback M75 & H75 inn a 2x12

Matty and mdubya like this.
  18. twangydave

twangydave Senior Member

Just to let you know that my much loved Corona is looking for a new home due to house move and related expenses. It's in the UK sellers thread. Cheers!