Peter Green Tone

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by dalandan, Dec 20, 2008.

1. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC48etW-Xs4]The Supernatural - Peter Green with The Splinter Group - YouTube[/ame]

2. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Listen to Need your love so bad, it's played on a strat.... :thumb:

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

is that a confirmed fact? :hmm:

4. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

In studio, as far as I know yes. Live? Well I got a nice color pic of PG playing a Strat 1967-68, though I can't say the songs. I'll see if I can find the pic and upload it.

In my humble opinion, whatever PG touched/played at that time sounded PG = great ....:cool:

5. Wraptail

Wraptail MLP Vendor

There's no way it's a strat, rubbish IMO. I have an extensive collection of concert/live audio from FM and I've never ever heard anything that remotely resembles a strat tone from Peter Green in those either.

I don't know where that thought originated, even if it's from Peter Green's own mouth - I don't believe it.

Is it that mimed vid where he's got that strat that started all this?

6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

if you listen to the need your love so bad outtakes you can hear it's not a Strat. sounds like his LP to me...

1 person likes this.
  7. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Here's some pics. The first one is suggested to be taken in Hyde Park 8-24-68. Background music was recorded in Vienna, Austria 03-25-70

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dq-GV1M2YI&feature=plcp]Some pics - YouTube[/ame]

BTW, by re-winding a Strat so that the pu's are out of phase one can actually make it sound really close to PG's OOP sound (to my ears)...

8. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

There are studio rehearsal outtakes of Before The Beginning that definitely sound like a Strat. I hear some single coil tones on Then Play On, but Danny has been seen in videos around that time using a Tele.

1 person likes this.
  9. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

Tell me this is not the best guitar solo ever.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxgY9eEFiYM]I've Got A Mind To Give Up Living/ All Over Again - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  10. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

11. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

I'm not sure if it is Fillmore West? I do have that, but I have not listed to them back to back, the one above sounds better quality and I think it is slightly different.

12. tallpaul

tallpaul Senior Member

during his time with john mayall ,peters neck pickup started to fail.it was taken out and brought to selmers for rewinding,the pickup was rewound in reverse with the magnet flipped ,whether by request or accident it's not clear.this means when the pickup selector is in the middle position the pickups are out of phase giving a thin nasal tone.however if you then back the neck volume off ,the pickups move back in phase! this gives you a great range of tones !

13. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

I can't remember reading about "brought to selmers for rewinding" before. Can you point me to a webpage, article, link or something? Thanks in advance ... :)