Peter Green Tone

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by dalandan, Dec 20, 2008.

1. dalandan

dalandan Member

How do I get a Peter Green-like tone?

He has one of the best tones I've heard. I'm sure the tone I want is his Les Paul. I don't think it's the out-of-phase tone either. My reference tones would be The Supernatural and Black Magic Woman.

Anyone care to help? :hmm:

jwinger and tintin like this.
  2. heavy blueser

heavy blueser Senior Member

well a lot actually REALLY is about the out of phase wiring
    just gives the thing a real higher pitched sound, compared to the "normal" ´59 lp sound.

but you´re right there´s something else:
    peter would often play with his amps volume all the way up and his guitars volume knob actually turned down pretty low-try it , it´s a real different sound experience all together-that combined with his lps special wiring.........

eric clapton does that too sometimes

3. dalandan

dalandan Member

amp volume up and guitar volume down, eh?

sounds like an idea i could try. this sounds similar to what BB King does too. he sets his amps loud and rolls his volume back to around 7. As far as EC is concerned, i did not know that. I though he rolled the TONE back down, not the volume.

4. heavy blueser

yep ec rolls the tone down too
    but when you eg listen to what he plays on the 70th birthday concert for john mayall:
    he does just that(i mean the "trick" with vol knob turned down).

clapton loves to play with his guitars volume knob turned way down low-
    he even writes that in the foreword of the strat chronicles book

5. heavy blueser

and as for what ya mentioned with bb
    tha was one of the purposes for the out of phase sunds
    to get the 59 lp to sound a least a tad like bb lucille, which is a gibson es 345, that has a special vari-tone switch that produces various stages of phased out/almost single coil like sounds.

6. dalandan

dalandan Member

this has been very helpful!

so basically, the Peter Green tone is a Les Paul that sounds like it has single coils?

the out of phase part is like one of the in-between settings on a strat while the lowered volume simulates the lower power of a single coil.

great stuff. the out of phase setting on his guitar is like the varitone switch. gotcha.
    :thumb:

7. heavy blueser

well you gotta keep in mind that a varitone equipped guitar still sounds a lot different to an lp with the out of phase mod or a strat of course. but you get the basic idea.

the lowered volume basically does not have anything to do with a single coilish sound but is just something that greeny liked to do; obviously for special sound reasons.

8. heavy blueser

the out of phase tone is hard to describe its not REALLY single coil like
    anyone who ever played a good strat will know the difference.
    that bell like ringing tones you just cant get with any other guitar than a strat!

peter was most definitely after a bb tone and man that legenadry guitar of his comes quite close to that sound.

i dunno whether greenys out of phase thing was done accidentaly due to adventurous guitar
    mechani(a)cs/repair in the hallucinogetic Sixties or whether it was done on purpose

9. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRbrO_VyEqs]YouTube - Under-used Les Paul tones pt. 2; Out-of-phase[/ame]

10. dalandan

dalandan Member

we're both hung up on the green tone. well, no matter how it's done. his tone came from within. the phrasing helps a lot too. i just like that incredibly full, meaty, yet bright tone. it was clear and articulate but had the balls to back it up. a perfect balance between humbuckers and single coils. you know what i mean?

11. Kiwirocker

Kiwirocker Senior Member

greeny's tone came from his neck Pup which was reverse wound by a young fender tech.

12. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

IMHO nobody can sound exactly like Peter. Too unique... me? I keep coming back to his recordings for inspiration.

db3266 likes this.
  13. dalandan

dalandan Member

agreed.

but for conversation's sake, wouldn't it be a nice tone carrot to chase? :)

14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

in that case... yes!!

15. kluson

kluson Senior Member

you really do sound Scandinavian in that vid, thanks for sharing the vid with us. Scandospanish

I love the nugget pick ups they are really great
    have fun

16. heavy blueser

any attempt on "copying" or reproducing some other guys tone will always be a compromise-thats the way i see it!
    sure, you can get pretty close but as you mentioned there are so many small things and charcterictics of any given palyer that make the hugest difference.
    however for example when you hook your standard les paul up to a fender combo like a super reverb or (my favourite) the vibroverb and select the middle position of your guitar so both your neck and your bridge humbucker are on and then fiddle a bit with your vol and tone knobs you actually get pretty close to greenys tone:slash:
    at least you are most definitely in the ballpark to convincingly cover some of his tunes-if you got the chops:dude:

17. heavy blueser

and with the above mentioned method you dont even encessarily need an out of phase mod!:thumb:
    at least thats how i do it-
    plus with that kind of setup you are already in freddy king and bb king sound territory which ain´t a bad place to be

so alright that was yodas lesson for today, my young student:D

18. dalandan

dalandan Member

many thanks, master. :cool:

bb and freddie territory? oooohhh that sounds delicious, my friend. utterly delicious.

i'm surprised no one has chimed in by saying "buy this pedal or buy that pickup" :shock:

THANKS AGAIN! :D

19. SpinWheelz

SpinWheelz Senior Member

I tried this "low-volume-on-guitar-high-volume-on-amp" setup last night. What a delightful surprise that was. With the tone knob turned about midway, I got some nice "squawk"-like sounds; no Greenesque out-of-phase tone, but it was different. Turn the turn knob all the way down, and I got some tasty mellow tones.

What a fun, new idea. Thanks for this.

20. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

LOL!!!! you crack me up!!! :laugh2: