Peter Green & Other Magnet Mods in Humbuckers with Covers, Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jonesy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Wraptail

Wraptail MLP Vendor

You want to roll it over like a log.
    The magnetic poles of the magnet are touching the pole screws and slugs, typically south to screws and north to slugs - along the long edge and through the thickness. So if you just flipped it end over end like a football the polarity is the same.

[​IMG]

2. cabagarr

cabagarr Junior Member

3. devnulljp

devnulljp Senior Member

I flipped the magnet in my neck pu and it sounds cool -- thinking it might be better to do it electronically if possible though. When using the push pull pot method, do you use a 500k pot? Or 300k? 250k?

1 person likes this.
  4. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

A great thread, but probably was better before all the photo and video links got nuked.....

1 person likes this.
  5. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Member

So I recently picked up a cheap Asian made LP copy to mod and since I had a spare open coil humbucker lying around I thought I'd do the "Peter Green mod" on it and flip the magnet, remove the stock pickup and install the modded open coil one in the neck position of my guitar. The magnet flip was successful and despite my poor soldering technique during the installation it works!! :shock:

Well kind of.... It seems that when I have the 3 way switch in the middle position and both pickups at full volume it does the out of phase thing but I lose about half the volume. Now when I back off on my bridge pickup volume it gets louder but with slightly less "out of phase" tone. So far I kind of like it. I have yet to try it through a distorted amp though. Just pretty clean. From what I've read in this thread that this volume drop is normal or am I doing something wrong? I fiddled with the pickup height and it did make a noticeable difference.

The electronic components in this guitar are very cheap so swapping them for better ones can't hurt? That being said I really like the sound of the replacement modded open coil HB when switched on it's own over the one that came stock. I ripped it out of an old crappy Yamaha HSS Strat style junker I had lying around. It sounds way better. Less muddy and way hotter output.

Also, due to lack of pickup wire length I had to install the pickup with the pole-piece screws facing the neck like a normal neck pickup. Is this wrong? The conductors just made it to the volume pot. Should the pole-piece screws be facing the bridge like on Peter Green's guitar or does that make any difference? So far I like how this looks with the open coil in combo with the covered humbucker pickup.

I don't normally tinker with guitars so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :wave:

Attached Files:

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

The volume loss is more noticeable with a high headroom clean sound. Almost not noticeable when playing with a high gain compressed sound. But yeah with independent volume controls you can roll in different amounts of the effect. The pole piece direction doesn't matter as far as I know.

7. Wraptail

Wraptail MLP Vendor

Love peter Green!

Here's some nice out of phase tone:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Khxpvq1-O4[/ame]

8. LPaddicted

LPaddicted Senior Member

Hello, :wave:

I'm using PG mod since few years and I would like to know if it's normal that when both volume are, for exemple, on 10 , the out of phase sound works only between 10 and ~ 9,2 or do I have to change something (pots ?) to get a greater operating range ? :hmm:

For information, I'm using CTS 550K from jonesy. :cool:

Thank you in advance for all your kind answers. :wave:

1 person likes this.
  9. Wraptail

Wraptail MLP Vendor

That's normal, when the volumes are the same or close, you're out of phase, and the effect will change and then disappear as one volume is changed dramatically. With some setups it can be real touchy. If you're not already using it, I'd try "50s wiring" and see if that gives you a bit more control.

Some pickup sets do it much better than others as well.

1 person likes this.
  10. LPaddicted

LPaddicted Senior Member

Hi wraptail and thank you for your answer :thumb:

50s wiring is already what I use :)

1 person likes this.