Peter Green & Other Magnet Mods in Humbuckers with Covers, Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jonesy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. LongLostBrother71

LongLostBrother71 Senior Member

stupid question here but... to get the out of phase sound, do you need to do this to just the neck PUP, or the bridge, or both?? i realize you really only use the middle position to get the sound but i didnt know if peter green had both pickups this way or not.

2. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

You only need to do this to one pu - neck or bridge (think most people do the neck)

/z

LongLostBrother71 likes this.
  3. LongLostBrother71

thanks thats what i was thinking, just wanted to make sure before i went through with it.

4. LongLostBrother71

i just did the mod.. funny enough i just found out i had epiphone 57 pups in my guitar instead of the Burstbuckers as advertised... all good though i have a pair of burstbuckers to throw in there.

5. LongLostBrother71

one more question, if all you have to do is flip the magnet why does peter green's les paul still have the neck pickup facing the opposite direction? i didnt think the direction did anything tone wise, just the magnet.

btw thanks jonesy, im loving the out of phase tones.

6. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

There is a little more to the PG story, I am not going to go into all the details but after he had repaired that neck pickup and re-installed it produced the Oop out of phase tone when the switch was in the middle and that is not what he was going for. IMO He thought that rotating the pu might put it back in phase which of course did not work. So that is why you see the screws on his neck pu facing the other way in a lot of the old pics of his LP.

Cool, so glad you are diggin the Oop Tone :thumb:

7. Sterling # Sound

Sterling # Sound Senior Member

I did the magnet flip on the neck pickup after reading this thread, thanks a lot! The pictures really helped. Must say that initially I had flipped the magnet wrong (length wise 180 degrees), which of course did nothing.

Now that I flipped the magnet "width wise" (ie. top of the magnet is now facing down) I have OOP in the middle. You can really feel the magnet push and pull when you turn the volume knobs.

8. Vintageking

Vintageking Member

Is there some where I can read up about this mod?

I'm curious about what this mod does to the pick up exactly, and what kind of magnet is being installed. Are there different kinds of magnets? Do they effect the result in tone differently?

I'm new to all this, sorry if that offends or upsets anyone!

Thanks

9. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

As far as I know nothing. I am not a fan of this mod for the most part. But the Tele I am getting ready to build will have a switch for it. Love it in a Tele. fust freakin honks when doing some Rocka Billy.

10. jonesy

You learn by doing, good job! :thumb:

11. jonesy

It all has to do with the relation of the polarity between the neck pu and bridge pu. You can put them "magnetically" out of phase by rotating the magnet 180 degrees or by flip flopping the hot and neg. leads on one pu putting them "electronically" out of phase. An Engineer can give all the science behind it if that is what you are looking for? :cool:

As far as different Alnico magnet types A2 A3 A4 A5 A8 the characteristics of those have been discussed in several threads by some of the pu winders here at MLPF. Hope that helps ;)

12. Vintageking

Vintageking Member

Awesome!! Thank you so much for the help, I'll have to check those other threads out.

But just out of curiosity. "Technically" if one had let's say... JP style wiring, with in phase, out of phase and all that jazz.... Is that not the same thing? I guess flipping the magnets is just an easier way of doing this? Or does it actually give you a much different tone?

13. jonesy

Your welcome, no problem. :thumb:

Same "Oop" out of phase sound whether you rotate the magnet or flip flop the pu leads. The "Oop" tone will also depend on how the bridge and neck pu's compliment each other, the way they are wound and the type of magnets they have in them. YMMV

14. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Tchap likes this.
  15. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Mouse likes this.
  16. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

17. jonesy

Mouse Rocks! ;)

18. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

God rocks, I'm just a roller :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

frankencat likes this.
  19. jonesy

:thumb:

:applause:

frankencat likes this.
  20. skynyrd67

skynyrd67 Senior Member

I love magnet swapping, the guys on the seymour duncan site got me hooked. For $5 a mag you can give your guitar a whole new sound without buying a new pup and then being unhappy with the sound and out the $$$. I have a GFS V59 in the bridge of my epi LP, I didn`t really like the A5 as it was too mid scooped, so I swapped it out for a Unoriented A5 rough cast and it softened the highs and added more mids and was pretty sweet. Then I thought wonder what an A8 would sound like in it,,lol,, I have to say if you want a pure ballsy LP tone the A8 and a 59 wind are a sweet sweet match. When playing clean its a very warm and solid useable tone, when you pour on the gain it just growls and punches like Mike Tyson but you can roll back the vol from 10 to 8 and its sweet vintage tone all over again.