Peter Green & Other Magnet Mods in Humbuckers with Covers, Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jonesy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Your welcome bro!

Yeah it's a sticky :thumb:

2. Barker

Barker Senior Member

Thanks Jonesy!.... :thumb:.

I did this mod today on the SD Pearly Gates in the bridge of my LP Standard and I'm very pleased with the results. It was very easy and didn't take long at all. I didn't use the middle position very often anyway, and this has given me a very usable sound, that is actually very pleasing to my ear :D.

3. jonesy

Very cool Barker glad that PG mod worked out good for you. ;)

4. 58_Iced_Tea

58_Iced_Tea Member

Jonesy,

Do you have, or could you do a photo tutorial on converting from 2 wires to 4 on a Humbucker? I have a print article, but, I'd like to "see" the steps as well just to be sure I get it right.

Thanks,
    Randy

5. jonesy

You know that is a really good topic and I actually thought about doing a pictorial on that mod. I have a 500T and a 496R that would be good candidates for the 2 to 4 wire conversion. :thumb:

I am pretty swamped here at my shop right now so it may be a while before I have time to do that. I will either add it to this thread or start a new one and post the link here. ;)

6. 58_Iced_Tea

58_Iced_Tea Member

7. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

i love the sounds your getting in the first video with your sg!! what amp mate?

8. jonesy

Thanks! :thumb:

I am plugged straight into my Peavey Windsor Studio amp, EL34/12ax7's built in power soak at 50% out of a 12" Blue Marvel Speaker. ;)

9. jonesy

The Man Himself :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6zg05CxYg]YouTube - Peter Green - Jumping at Shadows[/ame]

Duane71, paul1959 and Tchap like this.
  10. kindofbird

kindofbird Junior Member

Thanks a lot for posting this, mate. I just did the mod earlier today and it sounds wonderful. I've already got the scraggly beard, so all I need to do is grow my hair a bit longer and I'll nearly be the man himself

11. jonesy

Your welcome, I think it's a pu mod that's worth trying out and it does give you some pretty cool Tones. Sounds like you have the "Greenie" vibe going on :D

12. cheeseflavor

cheeseflavor Premium Member

Never did the magnet flip before. Did one today and cannot believe how easy it was. Thanks Jonesy!

Steve

13. jonesy

Hey your welcome Steve, yeah not really to bad of a mod to do...now you've got some "Oop" Tone ;)

14. Sånglöf

Sånglöf Senior Member

I've had som issues with a srange feedback using distortion after I made this MOD. Is it because of what you're mentioning here? Or is it just the way it will be if using heavy distortion on the neck pickup after mod being done?

15. jonesy

Hard to say, it could because there is a gap between the pu and the cover now since you pulled it off and put in back on. Micro-phonic feedback will be a high pitched squeal.

It is also possible you got the magnet flipped the wrong way way within the pu itself? Does the neck pu sound full like it did before? Or does it seems to have lower output now when used by itself? Even with the PG mod your pu should sound the same when used alone, just when it is combined with the other pu will it be out of phase and thinner sounding.

16. Sånglöf

Sånglöf Senior Member

I do still have a fat sounding neck pickup. And the Green sound only comes alive when using the middle position.

I used this manual, not yours:
    [Pictures!] Flipping a humbucker out of phase a.k.a. Peter Green Mod

PG sound is great, though I've heard some people turn the magnet lengt wise. I've heard it doesn't matter.

Like I said PG soun is there, just don't like the squeling feedback tone I get using distortion.

17. jonesy

Ok, sounds like an issue with the pu cover then. You can wax it on or use a piece of tape or a bead of silicone between the bobbins and cover. If you do that and get the cover back on tight you shouldn't have any squeal, unless it has to do with the way the pu is wound to begin with.

18. Sånglöf

Sånglöf Senior Member

Everything was nice. And then.... a few secs ago, the neck PU stopped working correctly. It Now has the PG sound by it self, and VERY low volume...

So, whats this about? Guess I need to leave it to a real guitardoctor....

19. jonesy

Hmm..The series link between the two coils may have come partially un-hooked, or you may have nicked a coil wire? You could take the pu back out an visually inspect to see if you can find the problem? Also make sure nothing inside your control cavity is bent or touching and causing this problem with your neck pu.

20. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

It's very interesting... I've installed the neck pickup with a bridge pickup of two different sets. Originally both sets were wound for an OOP tone but funnily enough the polarities of both sets ( from the same maker ) are different so I have to do the magnet swap trick to get the OOP tone back....