Peter Green & Other Magnet Mods in Humbuckers with Covers, Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by jonesy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Removing the covers from your pickups and taking the magnets out will most likely Void any Warranty from the Pickup Maker, or you may damage the pickup in the process...do this mod at your own risk.

I had posted a thread on the Peter Green Magnet mod about a year ago and the pics got deleted where they were being hosted so I thought I would start a fresh thread that not only showed the PG mod but the basic of removing/changing covers from Humbuckers and swapping out or reversing the bar magnets.

First of all I just want to warn you that you may damage your pickup if you are not careful. You can break the wire that is wound to the bobbins or pull the leads away from them and render your pickup useless so do these mods at your own risk.

You need to get the covers off of many of the pu's before you can do any thing so let's start there. On the beck of the base plate there will be two small blobs of solder that need to be dealt with before the cover will come off. I found the easiest way is to cut through them with a Stanley knife, it takes about 10 seconds per side if you have a new blade and know what you are doing. Be careful not to run the tip of the blade into the bobbins.

Here is a Gibson 496R with Gold cover and ceramic magnet...

[​IMG]

Flip the pickup over on your work bench, also be careful not to slip and cut your hand with the Stanley knife. I am right handed so I had to take some of the pics while holding camera and knife but you will get the idea of what needs to be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hold the pick up down flat until you cit through the solder, I use a slight rocking motion and it works pretty good.

[​IMG]

Make sure that you cut all the way through the solder and that the cover is free from the base plate.

Once you are sure the solder is cut on both side grab the legs on the base-plate and push off th one end of the cover and then the other. There may be some wax holding it on but they usually come off pretty easy. If not heat the cover up with a blow drier to melt the wax. (more on that later) most of the wax is still inside the pickup cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next you will need to peel part off the tape off and see which end the magnet is going to slide out from. One end the pick has the series link where the two bobbins are wired together and the other end will be open. You want to pull the magnet out from the open end so as not to damage the wires to the bobbins.

[​IMG]

You will also have to loosen the 4 screws on the bottom of the base-plate to get the bobbins to move up and you will also have to back out the screws on the one bobbin so they are not going through the base plate. The bobbins have to lift up a little bit to get the magnet free.

[​IMG]

Each of the six screws needs to be turned out so they are no longer threaded through t base-plate. You do not need to remove them, just back them out.

[​IMG]

Once the bobbins screws have been loosened up and you have figured out which end the magnets slides out from you are almost ready to take out the magnet.

[​IMG]

A lot of times on the Gibson pickups wax will be holding the magnet, maple spacers and bobbins down to the base-plate. You need to gently pry up under the bobbin or magnet to get them loose. DO NOT pry of the side of the bobbin or you will damage the coils.

[​IMG]

A pair of needle nose pliers also may come in handy for pulling out the magnet, however you do it be gentle and take your time.

Before removing the magnet all the way it is a good idea to take a marker and mark the top end of the magnet so you know which direction it was originally installed.

[​IMG]

Now if you want to do the Peter Green mod all you need to do is rotate the magnet 180 degrees end for end and slide it back in between the coils. This will put this pickup "Magnetically Out of Phase" with you other pickup when the 3 way switch is in the middle position. When this pickup is used by itself you will not hear any difference.

[​IMG]

One side of the bar magnet is North and the other side is South. They make a little device that sells for about $5 that shows you which is which but I use a compass and it tells me the same thing.

[​IMG]

If you are just switching out magnets, like replacing a ceramic magnet with an Alnico 5 for instance you want to make sure that you magnet goes back in correctly. North should be on the Slug side and South should be on the Screw side. This is the case for just about all pu makers including Gibson and Sheptone (except for PRS.)

[​IMG]

So when you are done and have magnet back in the way you want it , then it's time to put everything back together.

Tighten up the 4 small screws on the base-plate, be careful not to strip the heads or break them off.

Thread back in all the screws in the screw side bobbin

Carefully wrap the tape back around the bobbins

If you are installing the cover back make sure to either melt some way inside the cover or install some tape so there is not a gap between cover and bobbins. If there is this can cause "Microphonic" squeal.

I prefer to melt a little wax inside the cover then press it back on tightly. On the is 496R I re-installed a roughcast Alnico 2 magnet and put on a chrome cover, and did not do the PG mod on this humbucker. More pics here of this magnet mod and installing the cover back on.on...jonesy's Peter Green Magnet Mod Photo Album - MySpace Photos

Testing the pickup to make sure everything is OK before I solder the cover back on, it checks out fine so I am good to go.

[​IMG]

Soldered the cover back to the base-plate just like the old one was.

[​IMG]

The pickup is ready to be installed back in the guitar.

[​IMG]

Also check out this thread on swapping out a ceramic magnet to an Alnico 5 magnet in a 10K Sheptone Humbucker.
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/110182-changed-ceramic-magnet-alnico-5-sheptone-10k.html

2. jonesy

I think sound clips and video are always nice, so if anyone is wondering what the Peter Green mod will sound like it put's your pickups magnetically "Out of Phase" when yoiur switch is in the middle and both pickups are on so you get the "Oop Tone". This same mod can be done with a push pull pot and put's your pu's "Electronically" "Out of Phase" and sounds pretty much identical to rotating the magnet as done in th PG mod. You can here me demonstrating the "Oop Tone" in this video I made with my SG.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRrtZ6BxDQI[/ame]

3. jonesy

I swapped out the ceramic magnet in a double screw side limited run 10K Sheptone Humbucker I have and installed a roughcast Alnico 5 magnet. More open raw Rock Tone, I like the characteristics of the A5 better.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSFRcfHJ8o[/ame]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

Excellent thread :D
    I hope many will see it and learn from it :D

5. jonesy

Thanks, I hope it at least helps a few people out anyways ;)

6. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

As always good and informative!

:thumb:

BTW have you got any info for me? :naughty:

7. jonesy

Hilario you have a PM ;)

8. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

Well now that it´s a sticky i´m sure alot of folks will benefit from it :D

9. jonesy

10. Buzzerjim

Buzzerjim Member

Thanks for the step by step Jonesy.I followed your instructions and carried out the PG mod on my neck BB pro.Its a great sound and the two pick-ups seem much more interactive in the middle position than they were before.

11. jonesy

Your welcome Buzz, and way to go...glad to hear that PG mod is working out for you ;)

12. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

eey, fastest sticky ever, and a good one at that!

:applause:

13. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

by the way, what's the deal with PRS pickups?

14. jonesy

I can't really explain it in great detail but from what one of the winders told me PRS may use a reverse wind and the neck and bridge pickups may be built differently as far as the orientation of the magnets go. Maybe some body else will chime in with more details but from what I hear they are different than Gibson and most other pu's ;)

15. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Hey Jonesy great thread!
    To make the life even easier it's common to mark magnets sideways so we allways know without a doubt...

[​IMG]

16. jonesy

Thanks Mouse, great tip! :thumb:

17. Indyclone

Indyclone Senior Member

I recently mixed a Gibson humbucker in with Fender Strat single coils (H-S-S) and found out that Fenders were the opposite polarity.

The tone of a bridge humbucker parallel and out of phase with a middle strat single is not near as nice as it is when they're in phase. :)

18. jonesy

Yeah I ran across the same problem when installing Gibson and other brand PAF's in the necks of my Tele's, that they were out of phase with the bridge pu. I just switch the + and - on the bridge pu and they are back in phase with each other.

19. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

IME single coils out of phase are generally very nasty sounding

20. Paul86

Paul86 Senior Member

Thank you Jonesy! You da man!
    Is this a sticky already?