Peter Green / Melvyn Franks / Gary Moore collector choice guitar

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by JimmyAce2006, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

This is too funny. :laugh2:

How many people will it take to convince you that you are mistaken? I tried Grovers one of my R7s and noticed a huge difference in tone. I'm sure if you tried it too, you would hear.

2. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

Hey I don't need a challenge as I've heard the difference for over 30 years!!! You obviously don't have my ears so you can't tell me what my results would be. The limitations may be in your ears to hear the difference but not in mine or others that have posted. If an amp is MOST of YOUR tone then why bother having all of the expensive guitars you have?? Just get more amps and play an Epiphone LP.:rolleyes:

3. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

Why do people say changing bridge pin materials on acoustics give you better tone? They're past the bridge, right? :rolleyes:

This thread is like 8 pages of "My penis is bigger" comments.

4. mraajr

mraajr Senior Member

5. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

I have put Grovers on at least 15 different gutiars. NO CHANGE

6. JimmyAce2006

Mark, the chances of you hearing a real difference are the same as if you filled the whole state of Mass. with silver dollars 3 feet deep, and then you actually dive in and find a specific one. You hear a what you want to hear or what you think you should hear. There is more to an expensive guitar than different tone; most of my guitars sound pretty much the same with a few subtle differences. But most of them play very differently; and I like the look of different ones. And some of them were purchased just because I wanted them. There are many reasons for the guitars I buy or sell. :io:

7. JimmyAce2006

Acoustics are different in that the sound is derived from the strings vibrating the bridge, the top, and inside the box where there is a standing wave; the back has little to do with the tone, as do the sides. It is mostly the top & the wave inside. Electric guitars are different since they involve the electromagnetic field generating the electricity that goes to the amp.

8. JimmyAce2006

I have said my peace. And I am out. I think this thread has run its course! Bye!

9. Tweed6V6

Tweed6V6 Senior Member

An Hog/Adi acoustic sure sounds different to my ears than a Rosewood/Adi acoustic so I guess I disagree that the sides and back have little to do with the tone.

But, then again, I also hear the difference that Grovers make.

10. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

11. ducblancpale

ducblancpale Member

Just leave it....you aren't the standard by which others should judge their ears by. If you can't hear it, it doesn't mean others are deluded for being able to do so :thumb:

12. uburoibob

uburoibob Senior Member

I will say this - my guitars all sounded pretty much the same too - until I got my hearing checked. That's when I found out what my hearing was really like. Fortunately, it's the kind of loss that's not only completely correctable with the right hearing instruments, I now have further range than I have since I was 15. If you have hearing loss, I highly recommend America Hears:: Direct From The Manufacturer Digital Hearing Instruments. They are the only company making hearing aids specifically for audio professionals. Les Paul himself used America Hears as does Paul Schaeffer and many others.

I know making this confession opens me to ridicule, but it is what it is. I have good hearing using my custom AmericaHears aids - flat up to about 12k right now and can hear a bit up beyond 16, whereas I had a 50db drop off at 2.5k prior.

Jimmy, all my guitars sounded similar before this, including Teles, Strats, Parkers, etc. I could perceive SOME differences - enough to tell that they were different - but nothing dramatic. I knew what they were SUPPOSED to sound like and could project that into the experience of playing them. I could not hear the differences between Les Pauls. Now I can. Each one I've owned has either had a great deal of it's own character - which is clear to hear before I even plug them in - or were somewhat character-less. But can recognize each by it's tone.

I suggest - and don't mean this as an insult at all - you get your hearing looked into. I did and it's made a huge difference in my life.

And again, I don't mean the next statement as an insult either, but what you said about hearing what you want to hear goes the other way just as strongly. If you believe you can't hear something, then you can't.

Bob

13. fretnot

fretnot Senior Member

I was playing an R9 and an R8 back to back for over an hour on Friday night, and it was amazing how different they sounded. Same Burstbucker 1&2 config., although the R8 had the newer pots/caps. It's not like one sounded like a strat and one sounded like a Paul...but there was no mistaking they sounded very different.

14. jwinger

jwinger Senior Member

No, it's not that there is no change, it's just that you can't here it! :rolleyes:

15. Droog

Droog Senior Member

Or spell it!!

[​IMG]

hear

16. fretnot

fretnot Senior Member

I'm seeing these guitars at 5k already...not bad if you can get one for just a hair more than a new R9. :hmm:

17. tele52

tele52 Senior Member

18. jwinger

jwinger Senior Member

19. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

All this debating is nonsense. Here is what I was told once. "you dont know shit about my tone". End of story.

20. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Senior Member

There is some serious thread-shitting going on in this thread...