Peter Green-Gary Moore

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Emerald, Jun 17, 2009.

1. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I'd really appreciate if someone would please apply their brainpower and explain to a mere mortal sceptic like myself why magnetically out of phase (effects polarity of the AC signal, nothing more) should sound any different than electronically out-of-phase (effects polarity of the AC signal, nothing more). A sound demo illustrating this hypothesis would be awesome.
    I'm ready to be enlightened.

1 person likes this.
  2. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

If only I knew yeti? If only I knew...

3. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

When you flip the magnets, the trons are flipped at the same time. Whereas if it's just wired out of phase, the trons are still the same way up. Simples...:naughty:

2 people like this.
  4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I think this needs to be studied further, preferably by someone of high academic standing. I recommend zoologist Hynek Burda of Germany's University of Duisburg-Essen due to his groundbreaking research on how dogs align with the earth's magnetic field when they poop.:naughty::)

1 person likes this.
  5. FirstTrain

FirstTrain Senior Member

The def of a true bluesman... the voice. Kid could sing!

6. AHGrayLensman

AHGrayLensman Member

Quoted for "How the [*censored*] does that work?"

7. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Excellent question AHGL! I'd have to defer to GeeJay. All I know is that I have "Bare Knuckle PG Blues" pups in my '76 Deluxe and when I set the selector switch in the middle position and the volume pots are set equally, I get that tone! :laugh2:

:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  8. tele09

tele09 Junior Member

I've always thought Green had just a bit better tone, maybe because it's more dynamic to me.

9. NimrodPiles

NimrodPiles Senior Member

If you reference this thread....

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vin...moore-burst-sans-neck-pickup.html#post6945922

You will learn the truth about the PG neck pickup.

Peter broke it in his 'experiments' taking it out and fiddling about.

It was fixed and one coil was re-wound by Sam Li in his workshop Gerrard St Soho London UK.

The pickup lead was replaced with a lead that was covered in grey plastic as many pictures on the web show.

It has nothing to do with the pickup being reversed in the routing, it has nothing to do with a reversed magnet, the new coil was just re-connected in the wrong way.

Mr Danzig must have been ocularly challenged to have missed that the pickup had a completely wrong output lead fitted.

Charlie Chandler knows this guitar inside out and will probably confirm the Sam Li story, as will Cookie Boy here.

I was a gigging guitar player in London, working for Marshalls, in the late 60s and the Sam Li story was confirmed by several people who knew him.

I can confirm from personal experience that Sam's work with electrics and soldering was rather second rate.

BUT Sam Li was great with fretwork and general repairs but his work on wiring was not fantastic but there was nobody better working on pickups/circuitry in London at that time.

Some of here now, were there then and our memories of this stuff are undimmed.

:wave:

3 people like this.
  10. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Mmmm.....semi-undimmed!!:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  11. NimrodPiles

NimrodPiles Senior Member

But still glimmering and not oer'shadowed by BS from other quarters. :laugh2:

:wave: